Honestly what do you do moving forward?

Milanos Milano

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think that Josh made him look MUCH better than he was.  More than several plays where he got wrecked off the snap in which Josh should’ve gotten sacked/fumbled…..but no one remembers anything other than Josh making a spectacular play to avoid the sack.  

If you’d like to see them….watch the games in which he played.  Why should I waste my precious time on this earth in order to show you something that you missed?  

Ill believe it when I see it. Which I haven’t and assuming you didn’t either other than that 1 play you saw on twitter.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Ill believe it when I see it. Which I haven’t and assuming you didn’t either other than that 1 play you saw on twitter.

You must adult very well.  Good luck with yourself. 

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

There’s numerous examples of Brown getting abused in pass protection…. They don’t need all pros, they just need solid linemen. They’ve had a mediocre to bad line the last two seasons. 

^^^

9 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Brown was not good at all in pass protection. He was ok in run blocking. 

I'd guess that most OLers who start as rookies, even first rounders, get schooled with some regularity their first year -- and improve significantly in their second and third seasons.

9 hours ago, Rubes said:

So you think we should give up on Brown and replace him?

Apparently some posters think this way.   I'm sure that these same critics started out in their careers as top notch performers in their first year.

• Like (+1) 1

Crush the life out of Washington the next time we play them, run up the score and send a message about screwing the Bills?

More on what I think you meant, it's tough.  Cap money is tight.  I'd like another TE that can catch the ball.  If you can't cover all of Josh's weapons he will shred you.  That, however, might be done via the draft.

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think that we should in the market to draft a beastly OT if one is there @ 25.  I think that we need to have a solid G playing next to him.  I think that he needs to improve or josh may get injured due to his ineptness.  I think that some fans think we’re automatically set @ RT for the next 3 years because we have him, while I’m not so sure 

I think is a below average RT and we don’t have a RG…..and that it could be a problem. 

Great post.  I agree 💯.  I just want to see the baby

Wasn’t the book on brown that he wasn’t supposed to even be playing in year one but made enough good plays that they kept him on the field I think he will be fine I understand we don’t have anything behind him

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

I showed one play becssue I don’t have the technology or the time to show all of the mistakes….he’s made PLENTY

Brown certainly had his rookie struggles. But I thought he showed enough upside to feel confident about him heading into 2022. He wasn't even supposed to play this year. He is almost completely new to the position, played at a tiny school, and lost an entire year of college play because of the pandemic. He was known to be a very raw prospect. Sometimes at less valuable positions like RT you have to bank on existing players getting better.

That's not to say I don't want us adding some other OL options in the draft or late stage free agency. In fact I'm hoping we'll be able to re-sign Daryl Williams after he realizes his worth is lower than he thought. But I don't see OL as a huge priority that needs to be a focus in the draft no matter what. The focus in the draft should be what it always is, picking the BPA in rounds 1-4 and plugging holes in the later rounds. Anyways I consider CB, DL, and even WR as bigger needs than OL.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Brown certainly had his rookie struggles. But I thought he showed enough upside to feel confident about him heading into 2022. He wasn't even supposed to play this year. He is almost completely new to the position, played at a tiny school, and lost an entire year of college play because of the pandemic. He was known to be a very raw prospect. Sometimes at less valuable positions like RT you have to bank on existing players getting better.

That's not to say I don't want us adding some other OL options in the draft or late stage free agency. In fact I'm hoping we'll be able to re-sign Daryl Williams after he realizes his worth is lower than he thought. But I don't see OL as a huge priority that needs to be a focus in the draft no matter what. The focus in the draft should be what it always is, picking the BPA in rounds 1-4 and plugging holes in the later rounds. Anyways I consider CB, DL, and even WR as bigger needs than OL.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Except OG becomes a bigger priority if we lose Ryan Bates. And DL is not something I'm remotely concerned about after all of the moves we made in FA. Maybe some late round depth, but I look at both DE and DT as pretty much set.

People are crazy talking about replacing Spencer Brown. For what was supposed to be a pretty green Rookie, he performed WAY ahead of schedule. It wasn't always perfect. But he was solid way more often than not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And DL is not something I'm remotely concerned about after all of the moves we made in FA. Maybe some late round depth, but I look at both DE and DT as pretty much set.

I look at it in terms of net gain/loss for the roster.

Edge rushers lost: Hughes, Addison, Obada

Edge rushers gained: Miller, Lawson

(-1)

DTs lost: H. Phillips, Lotulelei, Butler

DTs gained: Jones, Settle, J. Phillips

(+0)

So at DT I agree we are pretty well set, arguably even a fair amount better than we were last year. I thought Oliver showed out in the back half of last season. If we want to go into this season with the exact DT room as it stands today I'm satisfied with that.

But at edge rusher we are still -1, and I have basically zero confidence in Epenesa at this point. So I consider out depth at that position to be notably weak. Miller is the only sure thing. Rousseau and Basham we are hoping they take a big step but there's no guarantee they do. Epenesa as mentioned I am not counting on, I would at least be looking for a player that can compete with him in training camp. Lawson is what he is. For a team that loves to rotate its DL I consider edge rusher to be the biggest hole on the roster behind CB, even after adding Miller.

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I look at it in terms of net gain/loss for the roster.

Edge rushers lost: Hughes, Addison, Obada

Edge rushers gained: Miller, Lawson

(-1)

DTs lost: H. Phillips, Lotulelei, Butler

DTs gained: Jones, Settle, J. Phillips

(+0)

So at DT I agree we are pretty well set, arguably even a fair amount better than we were last year. I thought Oliver showed out in the back half of last season. If we want to go into this season with the exact DT room as it stands today I'm satisfied with that.

But at edge rusher we are still -1, and I have basically zero confidence in Epenesa at this point. So I consider out depth at that position to be notably weak. Miller is the only sure thing. Rousseau and Basham we are hoping they take a big step but there's no guarantee they do. Epenesa as mentioned I am not counting on, I would at least be looking for a player that can compete with him in training camp. Lawson is what he is. For a team that loves to rotate its DL I consider edge rusher to be the biggest hole on the roster behind CB, even after adding Miller.

Personally, I see WR as a WAY bigger need than DE. We have the same WR's as last season minus Emmanuel Sanders and Cole Beasley. CB being the most important.

The 2 starting End's are solid and set in stone. You may not have much faith in Epenesa as a rotational piece, but I don't see them giving up on him. And you don't usually carry 6 DE's. Last year was kind of an anomaly. And I think it was because we didn't have as much faith in the starters at that point as we do now and felt Rousseau may take longer to develop than he needed.

And if we're using that same net gain/loss chart, O-Line is higher. Gained Rodger Saffold. Lost Daryl Williams, Jon Feliciano, Ike Boettger, and potentially Ryan Bates. 

Same would go for RB. Lost Matt Breida and Taiwan Jones. Gained nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Wasn’t the book on brown that he wasn’t supposed to even be playing in year one but made enough good plays that they kept him on the field I think he will be fine I understand we don’t have anything behind him

Yeah.  I’m not saying he’s going to suck.  I’m saying that from we’ve seen from him so far, he currently is just a meh RT. Definitely not good. Sure, he can improve.  I expect him to.  But he, and RT, could be a big problem if he doesn’t improve 

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah.  I’m not saying he’s going to suck.  I’m saying that from we’ve seen from him so far, he currently is just a meh RT. Definitely not good. Sure, he can improve.  I expect him to.  But he, and RT, could be a big problem if he doesn’t improve 

This is what we run into when cap gets tied and you are paying some players big money......you have to draft and bring along players.

I expect a lot more of this as we go along.   Super bowl teams dont have pro bowlers at every position they have difference makers at some of their positions.

I just really like Brown's attitude....he wants to hurt you

21 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is what we run into when cap gets tied and you are paying some players big money......you have to draft and bring along players.

I expect a lot more of this as we go along.   Super bowl teams dont have pro bowlers at every position they have difference makers at some of their positions.

I just really like Brown's attitude....he wants to hurt you

For sure.  Which is why I hope can hit on at least one OL in the draft.  I love brown.  I think his future is especially bright now with the addition of Kromer. I just can’t say that he’s a good RT right now or will be in 2022. I obviously hope that he is.  

I’m not hating on the guy.  Just saying it how I see it. I’m not the only one who doesn’t think Brown was good in 2021.  I realaize he took a year off and played small school football.  Huge adjustment and all things considered, I expected him to be much worse.  He impressed me at times. And at times he was really bad.  

On 3/19/2022 at 1:15 PM, NewEra said:

Going overboard?  Right now we have Ford and Brown on the right side.  

You don’t see Brown as a weakness….but he’s not a good RT yet.  He’s not even average.  We’re banking on him improving but as of now….he should be worried about.      I wasn’t worried about Cody ford going into year 2.  I knew could improve.  But then he didn’t. We were using Knox to chip on Browns side because they didn’t trust him fully.  And as of now he’ll be lined up next to who? Yeah.  Ford.  

nice block with the season on the line 

we have a $250M qb and one of the worst right sides in the league.  

That block is sooooooo bad

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.