Fix the OT Rule for Playoff Games--That was Stupid

Nextmanup

On 1/24/2022 at 10:22 AM, BTB said:

Misguided anger.  The rule is fine the way it is.

Since the OT rule change in 2010, there have been ELEVEN (11) playoff games that went to overtime.

In those eleven, the teams that won the coin toss are 10-1! 

TEN AND ONE!

You don't see an issue there, huh?

It's a HUGE issue and watch!  It might well be addressed this off-season.

I don't understand why an additional 15 minute quarter can not be played.

No sudden death, no complicated each team gets 'x' possessions. Keep it simple.

If two playoff teams get to a tie game, make them play for whole quarter to figure it out.

Give the offense/ defense/ ST/ analytics a chance to work it out on the field.

The Bills and Chiefs were tied at half time, they were tied at regulation. Play another full quarter.

Just now, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

If two playoff teams get to a tie game, make them play for whole quarter to figure it out.

The Bills and Chiefs were tied at half time, they were tied at regulation. Play another full quarter.

This is basically what I would advocate.

If the teams are exhausted, great!  Should be easier to score and resolve the game.

But let the game be decided by full service, normal, football on the field, not a random coin toss.

No need for gimmicks either.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

No kicking extra points after TD's, must always go for 2.  

The Overtime rule is stupid. Give each a chance of possession unless the on the first possession the defense scores a TD. Otherwise let each team have a chance, If they both score TDs then it becomes sudden death. The NFL can be so crotchety about doing the simplest rule change. Back when I started watching football in the 70s the NFL didnt have a 2 pt conversion and bizarrely resisted adopting it until 1994 for no apparent reason (even though other leagues had it). Same with instant replay the NFL resisted it then adopted it then inexplicably got rid of it in the 90s only to bring it back. I really dont get what the reasoning is for not changing the OT rules. You want unfairness? you want the game to end as quick as possible so we can rush everybody out of the stadium? Makes no sense!

Edited by Livinginthepast

On 1/23/2022 at 10:04 PM, Big Blitz said:

No our coaches are an embarrassment 

The coaches and that sorry sack of a *hit number 1 defense let us down all day long and at the end… I’m more disgusted over the loss of this game than all the super bowl losses music city miracle all of them… This one tops em all for me….When I saw 13 seconds left on the clock I just had that gut feeling they were gonna blow it and sure enough….people wonder why we don’t get respect and people are always pick against us to lose is because of *hit like this

Edited by Bimmer323i

14 minutes ago, Bimmer323i said:

The coaches and that sorry sack of a crap number 1 defense let us down all day long and at the end… I’m more disgusted over the loss of this game than all the super bowl losses music city miracle all of them… This one tops em all for me….When I saw 13 seconds left on the clock I just had that gut feeling they were gonna blow it and sure enough….

Agree 1000%

I guess as a parent seeing your kids going from pure excitement and joy; embracing you jumping up and down in the living room like all of Bills nation, to looking at you completely devastated wanting you to make it all make sense and explain how that just happened in a matter of minutes hits you different.  

My 12 year old - which btw is how old I was when wide right happened.  He's got this way of trying to keep ME optimistic and positive.  Which I usually am.  He's spent the last 2 days telling me that Gabe Davis and Diggs is going to be unstoppable.  

I'm my Dad's age when wide right happened fwiw.  All comes full circle in Buffalo I guess.   

But I believe in Josh Allen.  That has not changed since I called him must see TV during his last 6 games in his rookie year.  He's built different.  

I know I'm not the only one that I think just witnessed him go from the "fun, goofy, one of the fellas guys" to complete assassin mode in the last 5 minutes of that game.  Like he just realized he can be the best to ever play and wants to be.  The look and demenear changed.  I think he's still going to be Josh in his core that teammates love, but he looks like he's ready to go full Brady/Kobe/Jordan on the league.  

I have been thinking about this for a few days now, seeing as how the OT rules are already better than they used to be. If you asked me to come up with a new system tomorrow here is what I would propose:

OT would result in each team getting at least one possession to score points. The team that gets the ball first may punt, score a field goal,  or a touchdown. The second team must beat the previous teams points:

1. if the first team punted, the second team can kick a field goal to win. 

2. If the first team kicked a field goal, the second team must score a touchdown to win.

3. If the first team scored a touchdown, the second team must also score a touchdown AND a 2 point conversion to win.

The only way to end the game without each team getting a possession is if the first team gives up a safety on their possession, or if they go downfield, score a touchdown AND a 2 point conversion themselves. If they convert the 2 points they win, if they fail they only score 6 and the second team can then simply score a touchdown to win. High risk/reward.

if each team has a possession in which they both punt, the next team to score any points is the winner.

I’m not sure how good this works but in my head it seems to be fair.

On 1/23/2022 at 10:02 PM, Nextmanup said:

In a crazy game like that where everyone is scoring all the time, you HAVE to give BOTH TEAMS the ball at least once! 

We win the coin toss and maybe Josh flies down and scores..he was totally en fuego the whole 4th quarter.

Can't finish a game of this magnitude with only 1 team touching the ball in OT.

Play 5 minutes or something.

The problem is the complaints will never stop. So let's say you give the Bills a possession after, they score a TD, still tied. Then the Chiefs score again and win, now everyone complains the coin toss all decided the game because the Chiefs got 2 possessions.

If you don't want overtime, play to win in regulation. Instead of kicking 1 to go up 3, go for 4. The Chiefs were gassed, demoralized, you could have walked in there on 2. 

Then McDermott could have played his prevent defense to avoid a TD.

Jim Nantz weighs in on the OT situation:

"There are a few occasions a year, maybe not even that, where you walk away and feel a hole in your heart. Because the effort was so big on one side and you can't believe it wasn't enough to win," NFL on CBS play-by-play man Jim Nantz told the Maggie and Perloff show on Wednesday. "I'm not trying to shortchange the Bengals, but if they had figured out a way to win at Arrowhead, done it, come home, I would've liked Buffalo [in the AFC Championship Game].

"And now you put them in the Super Bowl. You know SoFi Stadium would've been, basically, the biggest convention of the Bills Mafia in years. You guys would've owned the stadium... It was just a shame that Josh and the Bills didn't get a chance to match it. And I really believe now, after seeing how many people are talking about [overtime rules], there's going to be change. Doesn't do the Bills any good now, but I do think it needs to be modified."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.