Postgame Thread DAMMIT!

Chandler#81

13 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I replayed the last 13 seconds over. It's really hard to understand what the Bills were trying to do. On the first play, all the Bill's players are at about the Chiefs 45 yard line. I guess their strategy was don't get beat long. Basically, they gave the Chiefs a free 20 yard play. I guess they figured having the Chiefs at their 40-45 yard line with 8 seconds to go is a very good situation.  Making the Chiefs have one last play to get 15 yards or so for a long field goal. The next play was a killer. Not sure if it was a broken play, Bills caught off guard, missed assignment, etc...Kelce just runs a straight line route off the line of scrimmage is "untouched" and wide wide open. Easy catch and throw. How in the world could the Bills allow that? It's one thing if he was double covered, bumped at the line of scrimmage and then makes an "Odel" type of catch. I can live with that. For the life of me, can anyone explain what happened? How did the Bills allow it to happen? What were they thinking? 

Another thought that's been heavily debated is the kick off. I totally get not wanting to risk a big kick off return. A poor squib kick could have resulted in great field position. Maybe the ball goes out of bounds? Or an up man fields it cleanly at the 30 or 35 yard line. A high short kick and you get a fair catch anywhere near the 20 or 30. Those are worst case scenarios but still have to be evaluated in your decision. My take is the game clock was of the up most importance. Top priority was to get 3-5 seconds off that clock. Plus, a very successful kick could have almost sealed the win. The lesser of 2 evils was to squib or high kick it. Basically, limiting the times Mohames has the ball in his hands. Make it a 2 play game and one of the plays is a fg. Thus, Mahomes would have had only one play to achieve a FG attempt. Of course it's much easier after the fact. What's clear to me is the Bills couldn't hold onto the lead with 13 seconds to go. For that reason, they didn't deserve to win the game. It's inexcusable. There wasn't some miraculous, fluke, or Franco Harris play. It was poor coaching and execution by our defense. Make me infuriated. 

Agree entirely. In my real life, I have enough existential issues to occupy anxiety/concern, but I found myself replaying all that as well. I'm sure at some point the vibrancy of the moment will fade, yet I am if anything more angry about the whole thing just now. It's not only that I'm getting older, I have family members who are over eighty. Part of the joy of a Bills' SB is thinking of the ability to share that with those who have been along for the ride longer than I've been alive. It's just heartbreaking to contemplate such a fantastic opportunity to win one -- and Josh was playing at the level to absolutely get it done. Why not just tackle Hill and Kelce right at the line of scrimmage? Two five yard interference penalties . . . what could the bastard Rat Face qb do about it? Now you're at the 35 with time for one more play. Maybe that's too simplistic. What's clear is the moment was too big for the coaches and they wasted time outs to put us in the position to play truly stupid football. I live near Athens, GA. I go to the supermarket wearing a Bills' themed face mask. Of all things, after the Colts' debacle, a woman from Buffalo comes up to me and starts talking about the game. "Disgraceful," was her one word summary. That's how I feel about this ****show of an ending to "one of the greatest playoff games ever." Well, you say that if you're a Chief's fan. Very little solace if you are the defeated.

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

After reviewing every comment, It appears you guys are pissed

See below.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Mid game offense we had a number of just unfathomable play calls. We should have threatened them the whole game, instead of taking a few drives to involve Gilliam in the gameplan or whatever was going on there. I don't really blame the defense for much of the game, but those last 13 seconds are a failure of nerve and intellect.

I just listened to Jim Kelly being interviewed by Mike Greenberg on the radio. Kelly flat out said as an opposing QB looking at the Bills defense in the last 13 seconds he  knew he would have a great chance to get his team into field goal range. Stated as a QB in that situation you don't want to face a "normal type" defense with pass rushers. He couldn't be more right. Without saying it overtly he pretty much said the Bills prevent defense blew it. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.