1/23/22 Week 20 Divisional Playoffs Bills @ Chiefs PREGAME THREAD

Chandler#81

Well, it’s possible to reach all of our pre season goals with a win today propelling is to a home AFC championship game !  Feeling nervous so o am rewatching last years afc tile game in KC.   Things I am noticing, in using several things going against us last year.  This is not your last years Bills team! 

We were obviously not close to full strength.  I had forgotten. One of our main Cbs was Josh norman !   He was terrible   In addition our o line was Williams at right tackle with Feliciano and Ike with Dawkins and Morse.    The line was really overmatched with jones having his way with Feliciano.    Also our rbs were motor on a very limited basis with YELDON ( not even in the league this year I believe, certainly didn’t play meaningful min ) playing significant time.  Our wr of course were mostly injured and Brown was limping after most plays.  We actually started with a 9-0 lead that quickly went to 21-12 in the second quarter.  Bass missed his first extra point. ( after last week , this has me a little concerned)  

Our d was undermanned with Norman , and players like Love and Butler playing significant time. The Frazier scheme of sitting in soft zones was too easy for Kc to beat with speed and it was an abysmal failure. The Chiefs went 4/4 I. The red zone by 3:29 left in the third quater!  Romo kept pointing out how Kelce and the receivers came off the line untouched and it was a huge error in our d philosophy!   We actually missed several sacks that ended up with Mahomes breaking several tackles and completing passes ( once even with Milano draped on him).  Our LBs and dbs  missed many tackles as the KC players came off the line untouched at full speed and there were many huge chunk plays as we kept in soft zones the whole game and we NEVER HIT KELCE as he came off the line , allowing him to catch 8 or 9 balls uncontested in the first half. It was crazy watching them just let him run free and then Settle either in front of a deep dropping Edmunds or in the zones vacated as Mahomes scrambled.  It looked like no one was ever assigned to hit him or really check him.  White actually looked average in that game as Hill beat him for big plays several times and Tre really did not play a physical game.  He was not good in run support that game either. Also oir d line never contained Mahomes and we never held the outside leverage on runs like we so now with GROOT!    We.we’re abused in the run game and I still can’t believe how soft we were as a team not hitting guys , esp Kelce and the receivers as they CRUISED TO AN EASY 38-15  lead with 8 min left in the game.  We were NEVER DEFENSIVELY EFFECTIVE I. THAT GAME!  

Our O was not much better.   Brown disappeared and Allen really kept making bad choices.  He continued to AVOID throwing to open receivers short , and I watched him look off them when initially open and then he would try coming back after they were no longer open. He had many passes broken up and at least three should have been picked by KC  dbs who were just not  used to his velocity.  He was also inaccurate early in the game.   The big issue tho was he was rarely used to run the ball ( until they were desperately behind!)  and he kept playing the hero ball we have all come to dread as he held the ball way too long , and that’s a big part of what made the line look so bad.  He really has not looked that bad since the jags game this year.  He was a 180 version of himself in KC compared to last weeks New England game.    

He was never confident with reads and it just looked like he never had any answers that day. We were down 31-15 beginning the  4 th quarter.  Like Romo stated ,” it feels like everything is hard” regarding the offense.  Allen was playing from behind and his play looked frantic as he was not setting his feet to throw.  It was not until the late third quarter that McKenzie got involved ( he did catch a TD I’m the late 4 th quarter with only 4 min to play ,)  and Josh started to run a little. All the players began to press and Brown tipped a catchable ball into a KC db for an easy pick in the early 4 th.    THERE WAS NO EFFECTIVE USE OF MOTOR OR CALLS BY DABOLL to help take pressure off Josh by running the ball.  As I watched this game for the first time since that loss, I am encouraged because as bad as some of our games have been, I have a hard time saying Josh ever played as poorly in this year ( with his choices ) as he did in that game.  Until you go back and actually see the growth Josh has shown , it’s hard to believe how poorly he really played in that game. If we see anywhere close to the Josh we saw last week , KC has no idea how much he has progressed over this year !  McDermott also made many coaching errors including going for a failed 2 point conversion when the score was 38-21  resulting in the game remaining a 3 possession game.  It was even made a worse decision as we recovered the onside kick the next play and we’re down 7 as opposed to 16 with 3 time outs left and almost 4 min left !  

Wow , it was hard to rewatch !  So how do we beat this team today. We play like last week and please don’t be out coached as badly as we were that game.  
1) we have to play physically.  Quit just dropping into soft zones and not punishing their receivers. Press the receivers!  Hit them and effect the timing of the pass game!  We don’t have to blotz but we have to send different guys and mix it up from the first game!   We are better stopping the run and maintaining the edge.  We have to make Mahomes throw from the pocket because he is just too accurate when he starts scrambling.   Keep the fresh guys rolling in and keep lane and gap integrity.  SMACK THEIR RECEIVERS IN THE MOUTH EARLY AND LET THEM KNOW IT WILL BE A LONG DAY !  When you don’t hit guys , they are fresher than you and the speed is Allowed to have its full effect !   ThIS is a huge game for Frazier; Is this truly a good defense , or will he call a game where he doesn’t trust his talent and tries to soft zone his way to a win. If he has a game plan like last years, we will lose and he will prove he is not really head coach material. You have to WIN THE BIG GAMES AND HIS SCHEME Last year was ONE OF THE REASONS WE WERE NEVER IN THAT GAME!

2].  Daboll also has to keep the gas pedal down from last week.  Run the ball, call early runs for Josh and use play action from under the center, EARLY.   Daboll has to get across to Josh to get the ball out of his hands early and take the short open receivers!   It will open up later.   Last year Josh took too many bad sacks that WERE HIS FAULT , as the o line play was at least average.  We have a much better line so use it to drive block , gap run , pin and pull , and we can maul the KC defense !  As long as Josh gets rid of the ball quickly early in the game , we will see a different Josh than the one KC easily beat last year.   Don’t be afraid to motion or issue mckenzie early ; he has speed and creates mismatches and he can have a huge game if Daboll will use him ! Use Beasley on third downs mixed in with McKenzie.  This year we will have knox as a mismatch as well.  We had ALMOST NONE of that last year!    Gabe is a difference maker , while Sanders may make 3-4 important catches. Of course we have to hit Diggs early in the short game and with those weapons , we can score even if FraZier refuses to be aggressive!  Get physical , run with motor , Josh , mckenzie , and then hit knox behind the lbs when they come up to stop the run.  COACH TO WIN MCD!  We don’t need no punter except to hold on PATS!  

We are a much better team than last year. We have done this once this year !   The Chiefs are really still the same Chiefs.  Everybody is touting how patient Mahomes is now after this years Bills loss.  Make him patient in a collapsing pocket ! We can do this !  It’s up to the coaches resolving the tactical errors from last year by doing press coverage and make them beat our dbs only to face Hyde/ poyer  there for back up; , being physical and wanting it more!  We need Josh playing up  to his potential.  He has to play error free and he needs to be that extra weapon running because he is so talented at it.   We can have a HOME AFC Championship game and pound the BENGALS. ITS THERE IF THE COACHS ARE AGGRESSIVE AND we prove EARLY ON this is not last years Bills.   We have the talent to beat KC , but like we learned earlier this year, you have to take it from them and not just sit back hoping Mahomes makes a mistake and gives it to you!   GO TAKE IT BUFFALO!     Hardly anyone believes we can do it , the coaches and players are the only ones who have to believe, and last week they proved they are confident and I think we can win this if we hit them and don’t play like a finesse defense.  That worked against the Bills in SB 25, it can work for us now. Go Bills! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Afternoon update:

I went to make a Turkey sandwich and noticed we were out of pickled red onions. So I detoured to make another batch. After boiling everything I needed, I couldn't find red onions in the pantry, so I was stuck using white onions. I don’t know how those will turn out. But then when I opened the fridge, there were two half red onions. So I doubled back and also made another batch of pickled red onions. Both didn't have enough time to totally pickle, so neither are on my now made Turkey sandwich. But I have them for the future which is good.

Go bills!  

I feel like you needed this distraction today. Thank you, onions. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Well, it’s possible to reach all of our pre season goals with a win today propelling is to a home AFC championship game !  Feeling nervous so o am rewatching last years afc tile game in KC.   Things I am noticing, in using several things going against us last year.  This is not your last years Bills team! 

We were obviously not close to full strength.  I had forgotten. One of our main Cbs was Josh norman !   He was terrible   In addition our o line was Williams at right tackle with Feliciano and Ike with Dawkins and Morse.    The line was really overmatched with jones having his way with Feliciano.    Also our rbs were motor on a very limited basis with YELDON ( not even in the league this year I believe, certainly didn’t play meaningful min ) playing significant time.  Our wr of course were mostly injured and Brown was limping after most plays.  We actually started with a 9-0 lead that quickly went to 21-12 in the second quarter.  Bass missed his first extra point. ( after last week , this has me a little concerned)  

Our d was undermanned with Norman , and players like Love and Butler playing significant time. The Frazier scheme of sitting in soft zones was too easy for Kc to beat with speed and it was an abysmal failure. The Chiefs went 4/4 I. The red zone by 3:29 left in the third quater!  Romo kept pointing out how Kelce and the receivers came off the line untouched and it was a huge error in our d philosophy!   We actually missed several sacks that ended up with Mahomes breaking several tackles and completing passes ( once even with Milano draped on him).  Our LBs and dbs  missed many tackles as the KC players came off the line untouched at full speed and there were many huge chunk plays as we kept in soft zones the whole game and we NEVER HIT KELCE as he came off the line , allowing him to catch 8 or 9 balls uncontested in the first half. It was crazy watching them just let him run free and then Settle either in front of a deep dropping Edmunds or in the zones vacated as Mahomes scrambled.  It looked like no one was ever assigned to hit him or really check him.  White actually looked average in that game as Hill beat him for big plays several times and Tre really did not play a physical game.  He was not good in run support that game either. Also oir d line never contained Mahomes and we never held the outside leverage on runs like we so now with GROOT!    We.we’re abused in the run game and I still can’t believe how soft we were as a team not hitting guys , esp Kelce and the receivers as they CRUISED TO AN EASY 38-15  lead with 8 min left in the game.  We were NEVER DEFENSIVELY EFFECTIVE I. THAT GAME!  

Our O was not much better.   Brown disappeared and Allen really kept making bad choices.  He continued to AVOID throwing to open receivers short , and I watched him look off them when initially open and then he would try coming back after they were no longer open. He had many passes broken up and at least three should have been picked by KC  dbs who were just not  used to his velocity.  He was also inaccurate early in the game.   The big issue tho was he was rarely used to run the ball ( until they were desperately behind!)  and he kept playing the hero ball we have all come to dread as he held the ball way too long , and that’s a big part of what made the line look so bad.  He really has not looked that bad since the jags game this year.  He was a 180 version of himself in KC compared to last weeks New England game.    

He was never confident with reads and it just looked like he never had any answers that day. We were down 31-15 beginning the  4 th quarter.  Like Romo stated ,” it feels like everything is hard” regarding the offense.  Allen was playing from behind and his play looked frantic as he was not setting his feet to throw.  It was not until the late third quarter that McKenzie got involved ( he did catch a TD I’m the late 4 th quarter with only 4 min to play ,)  and Josh started to run a little. All the players began to press and Brown tipped a catchable ball into a KC db for an easy pick in the early 4 th.    THERE WAS NO EFFECTIVE USE OF MOTOR OR CALLS BY DABOLL to help take pressure off Josh by running the ball.  As I watched this game for the first time since that loss, I am encouraged because as bad as some of our games have been, I have a hard time saying Josh ever played as poorly in this year ( with his choices ) as he did in that game.  Until you go back and actually see the growth Josh has shown , it’s hard to believe how poorly he really played in that game. If we see anywhere close to the Josh we saw last week , KC has no idea how much he has progressed over this year !  McDermott also made many coaching errors including going for a failed 2 point conversion when the score was 38-21  resulting in the game remaining a 3 possession game.  It was even made a worse decision as we recovered the onside kick the next play and we’re down 7 as opposed to 16 with 3 time outs left and almost 4 min left !  

Wow , it was hard to rewatch !  So how do we beat this team today. We play like last week and please don’t be out coached as badly as we were that game.  
1) we have to play physically.  Quit just dropping into soft zones and not punishing their receivers. Press the receivers!  Hit them and effect the timing of the pass game!  We don’t have to blotz but we have to send different guys and mix it up from the first game!   We are better stopping the run and maintaining the edge.  We have to make Mahomes throw from the pocket because he is just too accurate when he starts scrambling.   Keep the fresh guys rolling in and keep lane and gap integrity.  SMACK THEIR RECEIVERS IN THE MOUTH EARLY AND LET THEM KNOW IT WILL BE A LONG DAY !  When you don’t hit guys , they are fresher than you and the speed is Allowed to have its full effect !   ThIS is a huge game for Frazier; Is this truly a good defense , or will he call a game where he doesn’t trust his talent and tries to soft zone his way to a win. If he has a game plan like last years, we will lose and he will prove he is not really head coach material. You have to WIN THE BIG GAMES AND HIS SCHEME Last year was ONE OF THE REASONS WE WERE NEVER IN THAT GAME!

2].  Daboll also has to keep the gas pedal down from last week.  Run the ball, call early runs for Josh and use play action from under the center, EARLY.   Daboll has to get across to Josh to get the ball out of his hands early and take the short open receivers!   It will open up later.   Last year Josh took too many bad sacks that WERE HIS FAULT , as the o line play was at least average.  We have a much better line so use it to drive block , gap run , pin and pull , and we can maul the KC defense !  As long as Josh gets rid of the ball quickly early in the game , we will see a different Josh than the one KC easily beat last year.   Don’t be afraid to motion or issue mckenzie early ; he has speed and creates mismatches and he can have a huge game if Daboll will use him ! Use Beasley on third downs mixed in with McKenzie.  This year we will have knox as a mismatch as well.  We had ALMOST NONE of that last year!    Gabe is a difference maker , while Sanders may make 3-4 important catches. Of course we have to hit Diggs early in the short game and with those weapons , we can score even if FraZier refuses to be aggressive!  Get physical , run with motor , Josh , mckenzie , and then hit knox behind the lbs when they come up to stop the run.  COACH TO WIN MCD!  We don’t need no punter except to hold on PATS!  

We are a much better team than last year. We have done this once this year !   The Chiefs are really still the same Chiefs.  Everybody is touting how patient Mahomes is now after this years Bills loss.  Make him patient in a collapsing pocket ! We can do this !  It’s up to the coaches resolving the tactical errors from last year by doing press coverage and make them beat our dbs only to face Hyde/ poyer  there for back up; , being physical and wanting it more!  We need Josh playing up  to his potential.  He has to play error free and he needs to be that extra weapon running because he is so talented at it.   We can have a HOME AFC Championship game and pound the BENGALS. ITS THERE IF THE COACHS ARE AGGRESSIVE AND we prove EARLY ON this is not last years Bills.   We have the talent to beat KC , but like we learned earlier this year, you have to take it from them and not just sit back hoping Mahomes makes a mistake and gives it to you!   GO TAKE IT BUFFALO!     Hardly anyone believes we can do it , the coaches and players are the only ones who have to believe, and last week they proved they are confident and I think we can win this if we hit them and don’t play like a finesse defense.  That worked against the Bills in SB 25, it can work for us now. Go Bills! 

Motor dropped an easy screen pass early in the game with a lot of green in front of him. He rarely saw the ball after that.

10 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

I'm more impressed that two people read this post.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

Afternoon update:

I went to make a Turkey sandwich and noticed we were out of pickled red onions. So I detoured to make another batch. After boiling everything I needed, I couldn't find red onions in the pantry, so I was stuck using white onions. I don’t know how those will turn out. But then when I opened the fridge, there were two half red onions. So I doubled back and also made another batch of pickled red onions. Both didn't have enough time to totally pickle, so neither are on my now made Turkey sandwich. But I have them for the future which is good.

Go bills!  

Afternoon update 2:

I have had too much coffee and my insides are shaking because of it. I don’t want this much coffee. But I don’t know what else to do with my time. 

Morale is low at the moment. For some reason I thought the TB game was at 2:30. But it’s 3:00. I was really looking for football to start. 

Go Bills. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I cannot focus at all on anything but the game.  I’ve had to do two rewipes.

On NBC they're showing a bunch of hot chicks ice skating and they're grading how hot they are. No total dimes yet, but one was over a 9. Pretty frickin hot.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.