Divisional round Saturday - 49ers at Packers on FOX

stuvian

Man I don't really understand this SF resurgence but I'm definitely happy that the Packers are out. Jimmy G is making it confusing for everybody. I still don't think he gets a ring, but at least the Niners have a back-up plan so they're not in complete QB purgatory like Minnesota and autobot Kirk Cousins.

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

Man I don't really understand this SF resurgence but I'm definitely happy that the Packers are out. Jimmy G is making it confusing for everybody. I still don't think he gets a ring, but at least the Niners have a back-up plan so they're not in complete QB purgatory like Minnesota and autobot Kirk Cousins.

They arent making it anywhere with Jimmy G. They played against the choking cowboys and packers. The niners know their weaknesses aka jimmy g so their defense and special teams have to play out of their mind.

the rams and buccs will expose them though. those teams wont choke against them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

When Rodgers inevitably leaves will the Pack immediately become the worst team in the NFL? That roster is pretty awful, I do agree with the thought that ownership hasn't really done Rodgers many favors. I could see them reaching Jacksonville/Houston levels without old manbun at the helm.

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I really enjoyed this game. 

Very entertaining game in its own way, and it went in a direction very few were predicting.

Shows you why they play the games.

And we have 2 more examples today of how there is NOT a home field advantage in the NFL anymore.

If only the 49ers can keep winning...and we can win tomorrow in KC.

Setting up AFC championship at home against Bengals followed by a SB against 49ers?! 

2 very winnable games for us!

This is so interesting--I don't want the playoffs to end tomorrow for us!

This is by far the most enjoyable time of the year.

• Like (+1) 1

Titans and Green Bay apparently have the bill coming due this year. 

Titans apparently in cap hell.. currently projected to be $7.4 million over the 2022 Salary Cap (based on the 51 player offseason rule) with 32 FAs of varying designations. 

Green bay is about 20 million over with 16 FAs of varying designations including Adams and Lazar. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

He’s a serviceable game manger. Teams win SBs with this combo. 

The last teams that did had some of the best defenses in history. The ravens, buccaneers, and broncos. One of the ravens team had a joe Flacco that played on fire and the broncos team had one of the best to ever do it in manning.

garrapollo isn’t even playing at dilfers level. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

There is no way you can make Rogers the MVP after this game.  So who do you name?  Taylor & Henry are out of action. Honesty, IMO it comes down to Allen, Burrow and Mahomes.

Playoffs don't count. Even if they did, Brady got 2nd team all pro votes so if they're not giving it to Rodgers he will get it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Could the matchup get any easier for TB/Rams next week. They couldn’t dream up a better matchup. 

Not sure this is a smart take - the 49ers swept the Rams this year and beat them in LA just a couple of weeks ago with LA having a ton on the line.

The 49ers are not a good match-up for LA - good defensive pressure, strong running game to the edges, and can stop the run without extra defenders.

5 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Does the fact that both underdogs won today reduce the chances that the Bills win tomorrow?  Like what are the chances that all road teams win in the playoffs?

I hope the 'Ghost of Probability and Statistics' paid you a visit after reading that  supposition. 🤨

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

"Luckily," the results of today's games (with respect to perceived favorites and predicted results) have no actual bearing on the results of tomorrow's games. Arbitrary historical trends, like underdog win percentage in the Divisional Round of the NFL playoffs, only describes what HAS happened already. They do not predict what WILL happen. 

Flipping a coin is a 50/50 proposition, mathematically. But each time the coin is flipped is a functionally independent event which is uninfluenced by any trends or patterns preceding that particular flip. 

Thank you for diplomatically saying what so deeply needed to be said.  

• Like (+1) 2

So I went out last night and drank for the first time since new year. Got home just before the end of the Benglas game, ate my kebab watching the start of the green bay game and then went to bed and left the game playing on the ipad..... predictably I fell asleep and when I woke up at 4 in the morning UK time and could see on the screen a score of 13-10 to the 49ers I didn't know if the UK tv coverage had made a mistake, I was dreaming, or I had drank much more than I thought.....

Not watched the game back yet, but wow. What a shocker. 

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I went out last night and drank for the first time since new year. Got home just before the end of the Benglas game, ate my kebab watching the start of the green bay game and then went to bed and left the game playing on the ipad..... predictably I fell asleep and when I woke up at 4 in the morning UK time and could see on the screen a score of 13-10 to the 49ers I didn't know if the UK tv coverage had made a mistake, I was dreaming, or I had drank much more than I thought.....

Not watched the game back yet, but wow. What a shocker. 

I fell asleep at halftime.  Just checked the score when I woke up.   Literally said out loud "Holy Crap"

Just now, BigDingus said:

Steve Tasker should play this game for the HOF voters every time someone discounts the contributions of Special Teams play...

Aaron Rodgers & the Packers just lost a game where their defense held the opposing offense to 0 TD's & 2 FG's... AT HOME.

We have folks on this board who every single cut down day bemoan the fact that their favourite pet project day 3 or UDFA receiver / running back / tight end is going to be cut to keep a special teamer who will "never see the field on offense or defense." 

Special teams matters folks. 

• Like (+1) 5

8 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Thing is, there was over 6 mins In the game. SFs D was killing it. They should’ve kicked the FG and trusted the D to get the ball back. The special teams TD you can’t really bank on. So many coaches now shy away from the FG. 

Thats one way to look at it.

The other way, how I see it, is that their offense had done nothing all night. Every time they got into the RZ they self destructed with penalties. They were down 6, and a FG would still put them down another TD. It doesn’t matter how good their defense was playing if they couldn’t get into the endzone. 

I think Shanahan recognized his team was was limited and tried to maximize that opportunity. With Rodgers on the other sideline, and your team basically unable to move the ball consistently and finish when it counts, I like the call on 4th & 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.