Bills’ Analytics Department Highly-Ranked

Coach Tuesday

Somehow missed this article during the regular season.  Anonymous front office execs were polled by ESPN about the most analytically-minded franchises and Buffalo ranked as the 3rd highest level of analytical work product.  Dennis Lock, the Bills’ Director of Football Research and Strategy, got a call-out as someone who might get a big front office job some day.

Thought this was really interesting considering Beane and Schoen basically built the analytics program from scratch when they got here.  And it’s a reason Schoen was such an attractive GM candidate for a team like the Giants after their Stone Age approach to team-building under Gettleman.

Anyhow, apologies if this was posted back in the fall, if so I just missed it and thought it was worth a thread given Schoen’s departure.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Somehow missed this article during the regular season.  Anonymous front office execs were polled by ESPN about the most analytically-minded franchises and Buffalo ranked as the 3rd highest level of analytical work product.  Dennis Lock, the Bills’ Director of Football Research and Strategy, got a call-out as someone who might get a big front office job some day.

Thought this was really interesting considering Beane and Schoen basically built the analytics program from scratch when they got here.  And it’s a reason Schoen was such an attractive GM candidate for a team like the Giants after their Stone Age approach to team-building under Gettleman.

Anyhow, apologies if this was posted back in the fall, if so I just missed it and thought it was worth a thread given Schoen’s departure.

image.thumb.png.e4d835068caaae0e37557eb49cdc49b1.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Kinda underwhelming.  There were 3 questions asked about ranking teams' analytics, and the Bills didn't get mentioned for 2 of the 3 questions, and on the third question, the Bills got 2 votes which gave them third place.

Most of it is just praising the Browns for their analytics.  And if they keep Baker Mayfield this offseason, then screw their analytics.  They suck.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/22/2022 at 4:45 PM, ArtVandalay said:

The Browns overwhelmingly winning every category tells me one thing, strong analytics don't work 😄

Maybe they need analytics on their use of analytics 😂

I honestly think analytics has a more impactful place in other sports like Hockey where each player has more of a role, and you can derive possession numbers, transition numbers, etc. I feel like in football the eye test is a bit more effective/prominent, but there certainly is room for analytics as a tool for evaluation. 

On 1/23/2022 at 5:57 AM, harryS said:

Kinda underwhelming.  There were 3 questions asked about ranking teams' analytics, and the Bills didn't get mentioned for 2 of the 3 questions, and on the third question, the Bills got 2 votes which gave them third place.

Most of it is just praising the Browns for their analytics.  And if they keep Baker Mayfield this offseason, then screw their analytics.  They suck.

Hunh?

There are five questions asked about ranking teams analytics. And one of them was asking about the worst, so you didn't want to be mentioned. 

Of the four questions asking about positives, the Bills got ranked third in one and fourth in another and not mentioned in the other two questions (only three teams were mentioned in one and only six in the other.

Everyone ranked Cleveland and Baltimore first and second. Both good teams, though it's hard to figure the Browns QB situation at this point. After that nobody was an obvious third, but the Bills probably come in 3rd or 4th overall.

On 1/23/2022 at 6:45 AM, ArtVandalay said:

The Browns overwhelmingly winning every category tells me one thing, strong analytics don't work 😄

I get you're half-joking here, but that's not the takeaway. The takeaway is that analytics isn't everything, but like other facets, if you do it well, it helps, including the performances of other facets of that team's game. 

The top four teams in that survey were definitely Cleveland, Baltimore and probably Buffalo and Indy. All good teams.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:19 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

If you are going to build an analytics department, it makes sense to build it from scratch so you don't have to worry about any of the old stuff and how to use it or if it even fits or how you need to tweak it and just build it the way you want from the ground up.  Often times it is much easier to do it that way.  Take it from me as a software engineer that I would much rather build something from scratch than get stuck with a bunch of stuff that needs to be changed a lot to be useable. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.