Ticketmaster sending sellers 1099s

K-No

I had to sell my season tickets to the Patriots playoff game. I later received an email from Ticketmaster saying they cannot send me the money from the sale until I send them my SSN etc. so they can send me a 1099K and notify the IRS of the proceeds. 

Does it matter that I made $0 profit from the sale?

So, do I need to file separate forms come tax time? Amount paid vs amount sold for, deduct fees etc.?

As far as regular season games, tickets don't have a face value anymore, just one price for the season. I don't even know the price of an individual ticket.

I don't blame Ticketmaster for this one, I'm guessing it's the government, but it's one more reason to not use Ticketmaster unless you need to. They charge buyers over 20% and hold the seller's money for about a month. Yer killin me Smalls.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a sale, and income is income.

You're right that if Ticketmaster didn't do this they would face the wrath of the federal government.

With that said, Ticketmaster is one of the worst companies in this nation and I hope everyone on here avoids them like the plague. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Do I like it?  No.  pain in the ass as I have seasons to three different teams and don’t attend every game.  

Is it overreach?  Not in my opinion - most aren’t making significant $ over this, but some use as a nice tax free cash grab and should pay their share.  

• Vomit 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, vanhalen26 said:

Do I like it?  No.  pain in the ass as I have seasons to three different teams and don’t attend every game.  

Is it overreach?  Not in my opinion - most aren’t making significant $ over this, but some use as a nice tax free cash grab and should pay their share.  

Pay their share is a polite way of saying "have a portion forcibly taken by the government". 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The government is really starting to stick its fingers into the different payment apps. Reportedly any transaction above $600 needs to be reported and claimed on taxes. I'm just glad I turned my hobby into a "legit" business before this happened so I was already prepared to claim all of my sales through PayPal and Square, but it is really impacting hobbies and side hustles for people.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, galept said:

This is a sale, and income is income.

You're right that if Ticketmaster didn't do this they would face the wrath of the federal government.

With that said, Ticketmaster is one of the worst companies in this nation and I hope everyone on here avoids them like the plague. 

Wondering why apps like poshmark don’t send 1099s for every sale or get the wrath of the federal government?  Serious question.   Income is income?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, vanhalen26 said:

True. If you don't profit, you don't owe income tax on it. Pretty simple. Making the rich pay their fair share or eliminating their lucrative loop holes is another valid story.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Pay their share is a polite way of saying "have a portion forcibly taken by the government". 

But you want roads? You want the country to be safe (as possible) from attack? Do you fly? The list is endless. We all contribute.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

But you want roads? You want the country to be safe (as possible) from attack? Do you fly? The list is endless. We all contribute.

Oh, believe me, I know how much I contribute. And the % gets higher every year.  So glad Uncle Sam is reaching into every couch cushion to take more.

9 minutes ago, vanhalen26 said:

This is BS. I’ve consistently lost money every year I’ve been a season ticket holder. At one point I had 10 tickets during the drought. I’ve lost thousands and now the IRS wants a piece? BS

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I would imagine OP could offset the 1099 "income" by showing losses (original ticket price) and net out at 0?

What's to stop people from declaring a loss and paying less overall tax? 

Just now, billsfanmiamioh said:

This is BS. I’ve consistently lost money every year I’ve been a season ticket holder. At one point I had 10 tickets during the drought. I’ve lost thousands and now the IRS wants a piece? BS

Why not treat it as a side business and reduce your taxes due the the loss?

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Wondering why apps like poshmark don’t send 1099s for every sale or get the wrath of the federal government?  Serious question.   Income is income?  

I imagine they're going to have to, or that they'll have to require sellers to accept payment through a third-party app that will then report it. At one point the "reporting amount" for PayPal was $20k or above but it is much, much less now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillies said:

Well, I suppose you would need proof. Anyone can lie on their taxes... it's what you have if they every come knocking that matters.

You don't need to file any paperwork to run a business. 

You have your purchase order, and your sale order. If the sale is higher than the purchase you made profit. If it's less you had a loss. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.