2022 FAs

Milanos Milano

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Understanding strategic planning is an exercise in futility, but here goes.

Edmunds at his position and the contract apparently many here want to give him is not providing value.  You can get similar production for far less either via a pick or UFA down the road.  I'd hope Buffalo identifies a replacement for him this off-season and lets him walk barring a major increase in production because you don't pay that guy top 5 ILB money (~16M per).  No way dude.  

Oliver is a real nice to have, but I'm not paying him Jonathan Allen or Kenny Clark dollars of around 17-18M per which is what I suspect he'll demand.   

Point is, the nice to have pieces people clamor for aren't essentials for winning.  Off-season priorities are offensive: WR and OL.  Gonna need a backup QB as well.

This is the off-season where defense, especially the DL, sees a reduction is priority to get a start on living in the era of QB getting 43M per season when the cap will be ~210M.    

Im not saying we should extend both Edmunds and Oliver… I’m simply operating under the assumption that the Bills will.  

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Ah yeah the dead cap issue. Thanks. The only places that could realistically get cut are Morse and Daryl Williams. 

So my question for you is this. 

Would you rather have Jordan Poyer or Davonte Adams or Chris Godwin?  Because we could realistically cut Poyer and draft a Safety. Strategically I’d rather have elite WR and keep the offense rolling. 

I’d rather keep Poyer

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m tired of average talent. I want elite talent. Why waste money on Crowder? Just go get 1 player with elite talent to pair with Diggs. Why can’t we do it? We can make room if we need to cap wise. If 10x rather get Adams or Godwin. 

Then you are going to have a problem with Diggs wanting more money. 

Plus with Allen's contract kicking in the Chace we sign other mega deals is slim to none. 

7 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

If Morse, Beasley and Klein are cut, their cap savings are 8.5, 6.1 and 5.2 mill. Lotuleiei would be another 4.1. Now ok these would then need to be replaced but if not this offseason it would surely happen next offseason. Would Morse and other vets be wanting to retire off a Superbowl? Perhaps Lotuleiei? Seems conceivable. If you're worried about comp picks I would say who will get that big contract to earn you a 3rd? Wallace, Bates, Phillips could likely all be picked up especially if they have good playoff runs. But those will probably garner 4th or 5th rounders at best.

I could totally see Buffalo being a player in FA. 

Hughes and Beasley most likely are out. No way on Morse unless health related. He’s played well despite revolving door at both G spots. Star stays 1 more year as does Addison. G or Te either via draft or FA is it for O. CB S and DE on D. G might be only spot for immediate starter. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Hughes and Beasley most likely are out. No way on Morse unless health related. He’s played well despite revolving door at both G spots. Star stays 1 more year as does Addison. G or Te either via draft or FA is it for O. CB S and DE on D. G might be only spot for immediate starter. 

I don’t think Addison will be back 

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don’t think Addison will be back 

You could be right. But 7 sacks and good D against the run. I think he’s played well. Hughes I think will retire but would bring him back if he wants. Both gone means we then have holes in rotation which seems to be effective. 

I think the Bills will add a Guard and some depth pieces. I wouldn’t expect a Scherff, Godwin, or Adams

There is some depth to the Guard/Center position in FA this year. 

Brandon Scherff

Andrew Norwell

Laken Tomlinson 

Mark Glowinski

Austin Corbett

Will Hernandez

Connor Williams(not a fan)

Ryan Jensen

Matt Paradis

Jason Kelce

There’s also some good depth guys out there that I didn’t list either 

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d pay Oliver. Let Edmunds walk…. And I believe they resign McKenzie, Harry, and maybe Levi…. As for FA additions I see them adding a starting interior lineman and a depth defensive piece some where. 

Draft should be offensive centric…. Not sure it will be though. Would love a dynamic WR bottom of round one. 

Agreed, but these guys are all about loyalty… they would never cut Poyer for another FA…. Even if it is the better move for the team going forward IMO. 

If that is the case, is it any wonder the Bills franchise hasn’t won a super bowl? 

On 1/22/2022 at 7:15 AM, Victory Formation said:

I got to admit, I love the idea of Juju Smith-Schuster in Buffalo. He is an extraordinary wideout, I know he struggled in Pittsburgh, but Ben is old and he wouldn’t have to be the top guy here, we have Diggs for that.

Diggs, Juju, Davis, McKenzie etc is not a bad way to go. He wouldn’t cost a whole lot and his skill set absolutely mirrors what Josh does best as a QB.

He’s easily a 100/catch receiver here and we could probably lock him down for 2-3 years at $8M/year.

So I am not as high on him as you seem to be. He is good not great and he is hurt a lot. He wouldn't be a 100 catch guy in this offense because we have Stefon Diggs. But if we are in the realm of realistic FA targets I think he is name to consider. He is on 1 year $8m in Pittsburgh. If he was willing to take a slightly lower AAV for a 3 year deal with some flexibility for the team to get out if he continues to struggle staying healthy then I'd have some interest. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think the Bills will add a Guard and some depth pieces. I wouldn’t expect a Scherff, Godwin, or Adams

There is some depth to the Guard/Center position in FA this year. 

Brandon Scherff

Andrew Norwell

Laken Tomlinson 

Mark Glowinski

Austin Corbett

Will Hernandez

Connor Williams(not a fan)

Ryan Jensen

Matt Paradis

Jason Kelce

There’s also some good depth guys out there that I didn’t list either 

Jason Kelce likely retires. Brandon Scherff and Laken Tomlinson would command top end guard money. Ryan Jensen is staying in Tampa IMO. 

Norwell is the one of the rest of the list that I like. He hasn't really worked out in Jacksonville which likely caps his market value but the regime worked with him in Carolina, he played his best football there and if you can get him back to that he is a top 10 guard. I'd expect the Bills to be interested.

I think any FA's other than our own will be depth only, but will depend on how Bates finishes the season and if Morse returns. If Bates locks down the starting LG position and Morse returns, you have Feliciano as a backup G and C next season, Doyle and (Don't @ at me.😱) Ford already in place. Then draft Feliciano and Morse's replacements. 

19 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Understanding strategic planning is an exercise in futility, but here goes.

Edmunds at his position and the contract apparently many here want to give him is not providing value.  You can get similar production for far less either via a pick or UFA down the road.  I'd hope Buffalo identifies a replacement for him this off-season and lets him walk barring a major increase in production because you don't pay that guy top 5 ILB money (~16M per).  No way dude.  

Oliver is a real nice to have, but I'm not paying him Jonathan Allen or Kenny Clark dollars of around 17-18M per which is what I suspect he'll demand.   

Point is, the nice to have pieces people clamor for aren't essentials for winning.  Off-season priorities are offensive: WR and OL.  Gonna need a backup QB as well.

This is the off-season where defense, especially the DL, sees a reduction is priority to get a start on living in the era of QB getting 43M per season when the cap will be ~210M.    

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d pay Oliver. Let Edmunds walk…. And I believe they resign McKenzie, Harry, and maybe Levi…. As for FA additions I see them adding a starting interior lineman and a depth defensive piece some where. 

Draft should be offensive centric…. Not sure it will be though. Would love a dynamic WR bottom of round one. 

Agreed, but these guys are all about loyalty… they would never cut Poyer for another FA…. Even if it is the better move for the team going forward IMO. 

When are you letting Edmunds walk, this coming off season or after the 2022 season?  The Bills picked up his 5th year option so that is now fully guaranteed so they are on the hook for his full $12.7 mil salary.  Highly doubt they are cutting him now.   Last CBA rules changed don 5th year options.

Best they'd do if they decide not to keep him long term would be to let him play out the 5th year option at the $12.7 mil, then let him walk.  Doubt that happens though.   Likely he will be signed to a new contract with a much lower cap hit.  Likely the length of the deal will tell you how sold the Bills as a team are on him.  If 3 years or less, then maybe not so sold, longer than that, tells me they value him more than most of the experts here.

Do agree on McKenzie, Harry, and Wallace and a starting interior lineman.  Also would throw in Bates too.

Bills need a veteran WR in FA. Diggs, Davis and McKenzie are incredible but Sanders and Beasley are a bit long in the tooth for my liking. I think WR is a big need going into FA. I’m not going to sit here and multiply my words, but this has to be near the top of the list.

TE is also a need. Knox has proven that he is more than capable but we have nothing behind him. A Jack of all trades TE is required. 

As far as the draft is concerned, I think WR, TE, CB, LB and NT are our biggest needs.

I have mixed feelings on our OL. Dawkins has been incredible, he truly is in that upper echelon of linemen and Morse has proven to be quite solid as well. Outside of that our line has great depth but I don’t really see any game changers there. I guess we will have to see the way it plays out. I know for a fact though that there will be a couple impact interior linemen when we pick at the bottom of RD1 so we’ll see.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.