2022 FAs

Milanos Milano

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He hardly even sees the field now and was inactive for several games heck Singletary is a third round pick 

Devin put a lot of work in last off season and it seemed to change and elevate his game.

Moss needs to make a jump in his game too if he wants to stay relevant in the NFL.

I'm hoping he does.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Did the cap go to 220M in 2022 and I missed it?  Because they're not going to be able to keep all their (especially defensive) pieces now that Josh's contract is kicking in for 2023.  

Said it before, but this is Josh's team and he's how they win games.  A majority of their cap dollars and draft picks needs to be offense.  

Defense is gonna need to take a backseat, which means re-signing everyone over there isn't gonna fly anymore.  This off-season should start the transition from being a balanced spending roster between defense and offense to being offense first.  Doesn't mean you can't retain a pass rusher or CB, just that the days are over re-signing everyone at LB, DT, and safety.  

It's one thing to build a team into being a contender, but it's even more difficult maintaining a team at a high level as players want to get paid.  We're gonna find out if McBeane have the stuff to know who to move on from, who to re-sign, and how to replace quality veterans lost in UFA with young players on rookie contracts. 

I have 6 sizeable contracts coming off the books… 4 of them being DL, and I highly doubt retaining a DT & IOL will be too costly.   Levi and McKenzie may/may not be pricey .. and if they are fine we can look to the draft to replace them, but we’re extending Oliver & Edmunds whether you like it or not.  They should be able to do that and still make a move for a #2/3 WR. 

Edited by SCBills

3 hours ago, T master said:

I would think given that Beane & company likes to develop their own that who they have in their WR room will stay pretty close to the same Diggs, Davis, Mckenzie, Khumero, then continue to develop Hodgins & the rookie speedster they got in this years draft & could pick up another in this years draft if one falls to them .

I don't see Beane making a huge splash in that room maybe bring in another FA like a Beasley or some one along those lines that still has something in the tank & can contribute for a decent contract but won't cost a lot that's just the way he works .

Beane is building for longevity & is very cap conscious which a lot of GM's are not the only way i would see him blowing a lot of cash in FA is if the player he goes after would guarantee a SB .

And NO one player can quarantee a SB, no matter who he is

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I have 6 sizeable contracts coming off the books… 4 of them being DL, and I highly doubt retaining a DT & IOL will be too costly.   Levi and McKenzie may/may not be pricey .. and if they are fine we can look to the draft to replace them, but we’re extending Oliver & Edmunds whether you like it or not.  They should be able to do that and still make a move for a #2/3 WR. 

There is enough contracts coming off the books that we can make a move for 1 elite player. But only 1. If I had to choose an elite player it would be WR because we need to keep the offense rolling if we take a hit on defense. Without a doubt I would be targeting Adams or Godwin. 

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I see your reasoning but the only thing that counts is who is signed for 2022 and how much cap is left.

Examples of what I mean is Diggs had a $6.6M cap hit this year and it's $18.3M in 2022.

Josh goes from $10M to $16M.  Tre White goes from $6.8M to $16.4M.  Edmunds from $4M to $12.7M.  

The reality is there are 39 players left on contract for 2022 and Beane has currently $11M in cap to work with.

Who gets traded/cut and who gets signed is going to be debated and questioned for the next 3 months.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Understanding strategic planning is an exercise in futility, but here goes.

Edmunds at his position and the contract apparently many here want to give him is not providing value.  You can get similar production for far less either via a pick or UFA down the road.  I'd hope Buffalo identifies a replacement for him this off-season and lets him walk barring a major increase in production because you don't pay that guy top 5 ILB money (~16M per).  No way dude.  

Oliver is a real nice to have, but I'm not paying him Jonathan Allen or Kenny Clark dollars of around 17-18M per which is what I suspect he'll demand.   

Point is, the nice to have pieces people clamor for aren't essentials for winning.  Off-season priorities are offensive: WR and OL.  Gonna need a backup QB as well.

This is the off-season where defense, especially the DL, sees a reduction is priority to get a start on living in the era of QB getting 43M per season when the cap will be ~210M.    

• Agree 2

Just now, BillsVet said:

Understanding strategic planning is an exercise in futility, but here goes.

Edmunds at his position and the contract apparently many here want to give him is not providing value.  You can get similar production for far less either via a pick or UFA down the road.  I'd hope Buffalo identifies a replacement for him this off-season and lets him walk barring a major increase in production because you don't pay that guy top 5 ILB money (~16M per).  No way dude.  

Oliver is a real nice to have, but I'm not paying him Jonathan Allen or Kenny Clark dollars of around 17-18M per which is what I suspect he'll demand.   

Point is, the nice to have pieces people clamor for aren't essentials for winning.  Off-season priorities are offensive: WR and OL.  Gonna need a backup QB as well.

This is the off-season where defense, especially the DL, sees a reduction is priority to get a start on living in the era of QB getting 43M per season when the cap will be ~210M.    

Absolutely agree with moving on from Edmunds. He isn’t worth the raise he will be getting. Hughes and Mario will also not be getting signed. So we still have some room to maneuver. 

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Absolutely agree with moving on from Edmunds. He isn’t worth the raise he will be getting. Hughes and Mario will also not be getting signed. So we still have some room to maneuver. 

It doesn't matter.  Here is what Beane is working with in 2022.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It doesn't matter.  Here is what Beane is working with in 2022.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Ah yeah the dead cap issue. Thanks. The only places that could realistically get cut are Morse and Daryl Williams. 

So my question for you is this. 

Would you rather have Jordan Poyer or Davonte Adams or Chris Godwin?  Because we could realistically cut Poyer and draft a Safety. Strategically I’d rather have elite WR and keep the offense rolling. 

13 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I honestly think we could afford 1 big signing. If you had to pick a big signing, who would you want? Adams and Diggs would darn near be impossible to guard. 

We will likely be losing Jerry and Mario’s salary, so that right there is a good chunk of money to be able to sign a player like Godwin or Adams. 

You're not losing these guys salaries at all as Hughes contract is up, he also is a FA just like Adams, Scherff, and Godwin.  Addison think has a voidable year left or something so don't believe he saves any more either whether he's here or not.

Per the Spotrac the Bills have 16 upcoming free agents and around 5 to 6 of them are currently starters so better worry about replacing them first.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You're not losing these guys salaries at all as Hughes contract is up, he also is a FA just like Adams, Scherff, and Godwin.  Addison think has a voidable year left or something so don't believe he saves any more either whether he's here or not.

Per the Spotrac the Bills have 16 upcoming free agents and around 5 to 6 of them are currently starters so better worry about replacing them first.

Tough decision for sure. If we are going to take a hit on defense, I’d rather sure up our offense. Getting a guy like Adams and Godwin can make up for a worse defense. 

Adams/Godwin > Poyer    And it isn’t even close in my opinion. We can draft or sign a cheaper FA. 

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Tough decision for sure. If we are going to take a hit on defense, I’d rather sure up our offense. Getting a guy like Adams and Godwin can make up for a worse defense. 

Adams/Godwin > Poyer    And it isn’t even close in my opinion. We can draft or sign a cheaper FA. 

Completely disagree!!

You add someone like that, you're taking away targets, receptions, and yards away from someone else be it Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Sanders, or McKenzie and I realize too that maybe 3 of them may not even be on the team next season.  Allen is very good to great QB, but the Bills aren't going to become some statistical outlier and have all these extra yards of offense through the air.  It's like this year whe nthey were playing Sanders instead of Davis.  Adding a Goodwin or an Adams same thing will happen

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Ah yeah the dead cap issue. Thanks. The only places that could realistically get cut are Morse and Daryl Williams. 

So my question for you is this. 

Would you rather have Jordan Poyer or Davonte Adams or Chris Godwin?  Because we could realistically cut Poyer and draft a Safety. Strategically I’d rather have elite WR and keep the offense rolling. 

As of now I can't even consider outside FA signings until I see what moves are going to be made.  I'm just very interested in the money side

of the equation and I see it this way.  If you go to the Spotrac site and click on the Bills FAs you FIRST got to ask who is Beane keeping?

I say this because it's the #1 step going forward in the offseason for a GM.

Then and only then do you reevaluate what your next moves are.  In Beane's case for this year he has to cut/trade some players to free

up money to look at other teams FAs.

I would love for the Bills to be able to sign 1 or 2 big name UFAs but as of right now that will be very hard to do IMO.

To add one more thing for the fans saying that the 2023 cap will go up a lot (which I agree it will) one thing will eat up almost all of that.

Josh Allen has a $16.4M cap hit.  His cap for 2023 is $39.8M which is a $23.4M bump.

I am not saying in any way that Brandon Beane and the Bills are in any kind of "cap hell" at all.  But what I am saying is Beane is aware

of all the points I'm making and knows better than all of us what he can or can't do.  I'm looking forward to see what he does!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Completely disagree!!

You add someone like that, you're taking away targets, receptions, and yards away from someone else be it Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Sanders, or McKenzie and I realize too that maybe 3 of them may not even be on the team next season.  Allen is very good to great QB, but the Bills aren't going to become some statistical outlier and have all these extra yards of offense through the air.  It's like this year whe nthey were playing Sanders instead of Davis.  Adding a Goodwin or an Adams same thing will happen

Less targets receptions doesn’t matter, all that matters is advancing the ball down the field and scoring touchdowns. Look at Tampa, they have Evans, Godwin, Gronk and had Brown. Do you think their fans care about who gets fed? Of course not, all that matters is scoring touchdowns and winning. 

I would 100% rather have a Adams/Godwin over Poyer 100 times out of 100. 

Diggs  Adams Davis and McKenzie is darn near impossible to stop. To much speed and talent with an emerging option in Knox and it’s over, instant super bowl favorites. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

I would actually love to bring back MacKenzie. If we could land Chark that would be absolutely amazing.

I would also not mind signing James Washington.  He was buried in Pittsburgh behind Juju, Claypool and Dionte Johnson.

I think you could get him cheap and he is a deep threat while still having some height (5'11)

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Less targets receptions doesn’t matter, all that matters is advancing the ball down the field and scoring touchdowns. Look at Tampa, they have Evans, Godwin, Gronk and had Brown. Do you think their fans care about who gets fed? Of course not, all that matters is scoring touchdowns and winning. 

I would 100% rather have a Adams/Godwin over Poyer 100 times out of 100. 

Diggs  Adams Davis and McKenzie is darn near impossible to stop. To much speed and talent with an emerging option in Knox and it’s over, instant super bowl favorites. 

Sure, but it's not like the Bills have this weak passing attack to start with.  They are already in the top ten in just about every passing category, that's not going to improve very much whoever is out there.  They are within 700 yards of the top passing offense for the year.  Bringing in an Goodwin or an Adams, you're just moving around the numbers. Allen is an elite enough QB that he can make a Davis or someone similar have stats close to an Adams or Goodwin if playing him full time. 

Teams can't afford superstars at every position.  Tampa is trying to do it, but mainly because they know they have a small window with Brady.  Once Brady leaves, that team will resemble the 76 Bucs very quickly as will be unloading salary all over.

Agree the fans don't care who gets fed, but the players do to some extent. So before they  sign anyone like this, they better re-do Diggs contract to pay him similar money (good chance this does happen)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.