2022 FAs

Milanos Milano

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I honestly think we could afford 1 big signing. If you had to pick a big signing, who would you want? Adams and Diggs would darn near be impossible to guard. 

We will likely be losing Jerry and Mario’s salary, so that right there is a good chunk of money to be able to sign a player like Godwin or Adams. 

Well, I’d love to have a big signing...unfortunately we are going to have too many of our own guys to sign...Phillips, McKenzie, Bates, Wallace? I don’t see us having money for a big signing...

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

As long as we’re having fun, let’s just sign all of them!!

Lets replace Cole Beasley and Jerry Hughes with 1990 Bruce Smith and Andre Reed. Combined they only cost like $2.5M against the cap. If we are feeling generous, for another 998k we can bring in Thurman Thomas. 

• Haha (+1) 1

You have to think logically the Bills needs going into the off season…

Defensively will need another CB or two depending on Levi and Treys progress

Need a DT with Star likely playing out his contract

Need on offense 2TE…since we only have one TE…1WR if Beasley leaves preferably a burner…1 big back to compliment motor since Moss is a bust…and one more olineman 

I can see a big free agent splash for 1 guy and still not break the budget 

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

In last summer's training camp, the Bills had so many NFL-caliber receivers that they had to simply cut guys who were good enough to start on other teams. 

Depending on what happens with Emanuel Sanders, the Bills MIGHT be in the market for a WR3.  I think Gabriel Davis is ready to be WR2.

Funny but somewhat true. I couldn’t believe it every time I saw Ray Ray McCloud catching passes from Big Ben. 

18 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Well, I’d love to have a big signing...unfortunately we are going to have too many of our own guys to sign...Phillips, McKenzie, Bates, Wallace? I don’t see us having money for a big signing...

I agree.  Plus they may want to bring back Neal, Zimmer and either Hughes or Addison.  If they let Hughes and Addison go, there's a huge void in veteran leadership that McD covets, and likely means another high draft pick on a DE.  Would prefer Bills drafting other positions besides DE.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeahhhhhh I don’t think we’ll be seeing any of those signings, we are pretty bad cap wise.

Even if they release Mongo, Klein, Bease, and Star, that may provide just enough cap space to re-sign Harry, Dirty, Levi, our draft class, and maybe a few 2nd/3rd tier FAs.

Sorry to kill the thread vibe 😬

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

I do not think OBD mgmt shares your belief here.  JuJu and Claypool are 2 of the most "me first" players in the league and show little situational or game awareness at the most critical times.  JuJu is what Mahomes brother would be like if he could play - a total distraction.  Pass for me 

juju is actually the opposite. Very misunderstood person. There are few players in the entire NFL more giving of their time and money (in genuine ways) to the community than Juju.  

If Morse, Beasley and Klein are cut, their cap savings are 8.5, 6.1 and 5.2 mill. Lotuleiei would be another 4.1. Now ok these would then need to be replaced but if not this offseason it would surely happen next offseason. Would Morse and other vets be wanting to retire off a Superbowl? Perhaps Lotuleiei? Seems conceivable. If you're worried about comp picks I would say who will get that big contract to earn you a 3rd? Wallace, Bates, Phillips could likely all be picked up especially if they have good playoff runs. But those will probably garner 4th or 5th rounders at best.

I could totally see Buffalo being a player in FA. 

Edited by Seoulofstone

7 hours ago, MJS said:

We've moved past the "splash signings in free agency" phase for this team. We

need to sign value, under the radar free agents, draft well, and develop talent for the future while maintaining the team that we have.

Josh's contract is going to kick in soon and we can't have a bunch of overpriced free agents on the books.

Couldn’t have said it better. 

I would add, the stud WR some are looking for is on the team already.

Just watch Gabe blossom.

Receiver is a great position to need in the draft. Some really good ones at the bottom of the 1st. I really like Calvin Austin III who is available at the bottom of the 3rd as a replacement for McKenzie.

I get that people hate the idea of losing players who come through for the team-McKenzie, Wallace, Bates. But they are extraordinarily productive mid-tier players.  If they get a chance at a pay day you have to be happy for them and find their replacement in the draft. Now if they don't have a market and take a below market deal? Well thats cool, but i think a bit like last year they will be allowed to test the market first.  If the Bills make a deep run in the playoffs they may find some takers this time around. The guys you have to keep are the absolute cornerstones. So if you can pay Diggs and Knox, then have some money left over why not make a move in FA?

Edited by Seoulofstone

8 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I got to admit, I love the idea of Juju Smith-Schuster in Buffalo. He is an extraordinary wideout, I know he struggled in Pittsburgh, but Ben is old and he wouldn’t have to be the top guy here, we have Diggs for that.

Diggs, Juju, Davis, McKenzie etc is not a bad way to go. He wouldn’t cost a whole lot and his skill set absolutely mirrors what Josh does best as a QB.

He’s easily a 100/catch receiver here and we could probably lock him down for 2-3 years at $8M/year.

No Way GIF by GIPHY News

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Guards-I like the idea of an FA signing because plugging in a known commodity on the Oline is smart in a win-now window.

19.Brandon Scherff: Contract Projection: Three years, $50 million ($16.67 million per year, $30 million total guaranteed)

Too much? Heres a good alternative;

26.Laken Tomlinson Contract Projection: Three years, $27 million ($9M per year, $16.5 million total guaranteed)

Draft? Zion Johnson, Derrion Kendrick or Tyler Smith.

If you can cover the guard in FA you can go WR/CB upgrade or even a  DT like Davis in R1 and get them at a great value.

The Bills can only afford veterans looking for a ring and so willing to sign for cheap. Fortunately, they'll be an attractive team in that regard. They also will want to stockpile draft picks, so maybe they'll ship out some players they can spare, like Beasley, Butler, Morse, Ford, Williams (provided they draft a guard early), Addison, Hughes (forgot if he'll be a free agent), and maybe Moss. Meanwhile, develop promising young players like Hodgins, Stephenson, Jackson, Hamlin, and Doyle, all of whom might start at some point. (Jackson already is.)

8 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I honestly think we could afford 1 big signing. If you had to pick a big signing, who would you want? Adams and Diggs would darn near be impossible to guard. 

We will likely be losing Jerry and Mario’s salary, so that right there is a good chunk of money to be able to sign a player like Godwin or Adams. 

So Jerry is already a UFA and Addison is essentially a UFA as he has a 2 million buyout that is in effect.  Neither has a contract on the Salary Cap for next year - so you are not losing their Salary as it is zero when you look at the cap for next year.

Therefore - their salaries are not a chunk of money to sign Goodwin or Adams.  The only money you are saving is getting rid of a guy like Beasley saving a few million, but that money will be needed to sign another DE as we have at least 3 FA.  Same goes for WR - we cut Cole to save money, but you have FA in McKenzie and Sanders already and core ST like Kumerow.

You are also losing so DT and back-up LBs, depth OL, CB, and back-up QB.  You have several small holes that will need to be filled smartly as you also have Edmunds on his 5th year and a decision on Oliver and his 5th year option.

I would prefer to see the Bills sign a ton of mid level guys to fill holes and draft key positions like WR, DE, CB to get younger at those positions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would think given that Beane & company likes to develop their own that who they have in their WR room will stay pretty close to the same Diggs, Davis, Mckenzie, Khumero, then continue to develop Hodgins & the rookie speedster they got in this years draft & could pick up another in this years draft if one falls to them .

I don't see Beane making a huge splash in that room maybe bring in another FA like a Beasley or some one along those lines that still has something in the tank & can contribute for a decent contract but won't cost a lot that's just the way he works .

Beane is building for longevity & is very cap conscious which a lot of GM's are not the only way i would see him blowing a lot of cash in FA is if the player he goes after would guarantee a SB .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.