Giants/Schoen interview Daboll for HC

Hapless Bills Fan

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

True.  And if that means Chad Hall stays, great!  In a similar vein, Dorsey can be OC and QB coach.

As for Johnson, again it's a lateral move to a bad team with a bad OL and hamstrung by the cap (although they do have 2-1st rounders).  A lot heavier lifting.  And again, no specific tie to Daboll.

As for Dorsey, it would actually be a stretch to call him a "coordinator" if all he's doing is sitting in on meetings.  So we'll agree to disagree.  However I doubt you'll disagree that they're grooming him for the OC job.

That is what Pete Carmichael basically does in New Orleans. He has been their Offensive Coordinator for over a decade. He doesn't design the scheme. He doesn't call the plays. He doesn't lead on the gameplan. Sure he is in all the meetings and he has input on all that stuff but Sean Payton is the guy who makes the decisions on all of that. I think they have brought Dorsey into the room and I have no doubt he has more input in that stuff than he did last year. But the final call I would be pretty certain remains Daboll's and then ultimately obviously McDermott's. 

They are grooming him to takeover. If I was pricing the market for the next Bills OC I'd have Dorsey something like 1/6 as a prohibitive favourite. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

True.  And if that means Chad Hall stays, great!  In a similar vein, Dorsey can be OC and QB coach.

As for Johnson, again it's a lateral move to a bad team with a bad OL and hamstrung by the cap (although they do have 2-1st rounders).  A lot heavier lifting.  And again, no specific tie to Daboll.

As for Dorsey, it would actually be a stretch to call him a "coordinator" if all he's doing is sitting in on meetings.  So we'll agree to disagree.  However I doubt you'll disagree that they're grooming him for the OC job.

Well then, let me make it easier for you.  I'm here to help!

You said that the Bills gave Dorsey a title but that he's still just a QB coach and unworthy of being OC.  So if you think they were lying and haven't given him more responsibility like a "coordinator" would have, ask them what a "passing game coordinator" does. 

But again, if you don't like him, offer up alternatives.  Tossing out Kellen Moore is what's truly "unresponsive."  And after seeing the Pack's performance against the same 49'ers defense...

doc you said over and over they took away Daboll's "passing game" responsibilities, even without his consent (lol), and when asked exactly what does that mean if not play calling----you offer nothing.   You've already conceded to Gunner's "it's obviously Daboll", so I don't know what you're still clinging to here.

List all of the passing game duties that have been taken away from Daboll and given to Dorsey.  You brought this up (serially).  

I have no idea who they would hire over Dorsey---they might hire him.  But I mentioned what has happened recently when an in house QB coach takes over the Offense.  You know that's why I brought him up. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is what Pete Carmichael basically does in New Orleans. He has been their Offensive Coordinator for over a decade. He doesn't design the scheme. He doesn't call the plays. He doesn't lead on the gameplan. Sure he is in all the meetings and he has input on all that stuff but Sean Payton is the guy who makes the decisions on all of that. I think they have brought Dorsey into the room and I have no doubt he has more input in that stuff than he did last year. But the final call I would be pretty certain remains Daboll's and then ultimately obviously McDermott's. 

They are grooming him to takeover. If I was pricing the market for the next Bills OC I'd have Dorsey something like 1/6 as a prohibitive favourite. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

doc you said over and over they took away Daboll's "passing game" responsibilities, even without his consent (lol), and when asked exactly what does that mean if not play calling----you offer nothing.   You've already conceded to Gunner's "it's obviously Daboll", so I don't know what you're still clinging to here.

List all of the passing game duties that have been taken away from Daboll and given to Dorsey.  You brought this up (serially).  

I have no idea who they would hire over Dorsey---they might hire him.  But I mentioned what has happened recently when an in house QB coach takes over the Offense.  You know that's why I brought him up. 

Look, we can speculate until the cows come home about Dorsey's responsibilities after being given the title of "coordinator."  Again, ask the Bills, because what they've done doesn't necessarily means it's what other teams have done.  I'd like to think that calling him a "coordinator" means more than just sitting in on meetings.  But the bottom line is what GB stated: he was promoted and is being groomed to be the OC.  He's not a "nobody assistant coach."  And how he does remains to be seen.  Kellen Moore means nothing.

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Can you point me to that post? Tried finding it but must have missed it. Ta. 

Kellen Moore.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Look, we can speculate until the cows come home about Dorsey's responsibilities after being given the title of "coordinator."  Again, ask the Bills, because what they've done doesn't necessarily means it's what other teams have done.  I'd like to think that calling him a "coordinator" means more than just sitting in on meetings.  But the bottom line is what GB stated: he was promoted and is being groomed to be the OC.  He's not a "nobody assistant coach."  And how he does remains to be seen.  Kellen Moore means nothing.

Kellen Moore.

so your argument is “I have no idea what I’m trying to say, go ask the bills”. 

you should have led with that.

Moore is an appropriate comp for obvious reasons.  He was promoted too soon.  Hence my reservation over a guy like Dorsey.

Of course it may not matter, Josh may become such a force that, like P Manning,  he can essentially function as OC (anyone remember Tom Moore?).

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

so your argument is “I have no idea what I’m trying to say, go ask the bills”. 

you should have led with that.

Moore is an appropriate comp for obvious reasons.  He was promoted too soon.  Hence my reservation over a guy like Dorsey.

Of course it may not matter, Josh may become such a force that, like P Manning,  he can essentially function as OC (anyone remember Tom Moore?).

LOL!  Says the guy who called Dorsey a "nobody assistant coach" when he's probably going to be the next OC of the Bills.

So then you shift to talking about Kellen Moore, who has no bearing on anything.  And yeah, the expectation is that Josh become the de facto OC.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

LOL!  Says the guy who called Dorsey a "nobody assistant coach" when he's probably going to be the next OC of the Bills.

So then you shift to talking about Kellen Moore, who has no bearing on anything.  And yeah, the expectation is that Josh become the de facto OC.

you claimed that by promoting him to a nonexistent position to groom him,  the Bills took away from Daboll all the duties of the passing game—even, you teased, perhaps against his will (!!).  Duties that are so significant you can’t even guess what they are….but you are sure he has possession of all of them lol. 

then you said: of course “all the duties of the passing game” doesn’t include actually passing game play calling!  When asked repeatedly, what does it include you say…ask the Bills.  

Dorsey may be the next OC.  I made it clear why I thought that not without risk  Using another young same position coach as a cautionary note.  You understand that.  

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

you claimed that by promoting him to a nonexistent position to groom him,  the Bills took away from Daboll all the duties of the passing game—even, you teased, perhaps against his will (!!).  Duties that are so significant you can’t even guess what they are….but you are sure he has possession of all of them lol. 

then you said: of course “all the duties of the passing game” doesn’t include actually passing game play calling!  When asked repeatedly, what does it include you say…ask the Bills.  

Dorsey may be the next OC.  I made it clear why I thought that not without risk  Using another young same position coach as a cautionary note.  You understand that.  

True, I don't know what the exact duties of a "passing game coordinator" are.  Neither do you.  For all we know it could be anything from just sitting at the table, to watching game film and designing/selecting the plays to be used during a game.  With, admittedly, Daboll calling them.  You're arguing semantics over "all" versus "some."  The point being they're grooming him to become the next OC

If you're looking for assurances, you're not going to get any.  Many OC's never called plays before getting their shot to be an OC.  And going outside the organization to hire some guy who got fired from his last gig because he wasn't good enough calling plays there doesn't assure anything (still waiting on a name, BTW).   Better to keep a good thing going with a guy who knows the team, players and system.

Edited by Doc

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.