Baltimore Ravens fire defensive coordinator Don Martindale, source says

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Ravens were bad on defense but what can you expect with all of their injuries?  

The life of a coordinator is fascinating.  Martindale went from being a top candidate for a HC job to the unemployment line in the span of 5 months.  Every opportunity to interview for a HC spot is huge

or frustrating !

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, I would truly hope not.  Wink Martindale is a good coach and an original defensive mind IMO, but he has always to my knowledge run a 4-3 D and trend to a physical, press-man type of secondary.  So that would be analogous to switching to Rex Ryan's defense the year after Jim Schwartz coached us to the #4 overall defense.    Not good.

I think a huge part of the problem with Rex was that he just became a caricature of himself. He coached some tremendous defenses before he got here.  But I definitely get and respect your point. 

Speaking of retreads, Jim Schwartz is the “senior defensive assistant” in Tennessee. 

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

He has a great system for mobile QBs. Did well with Kaepernick too. I kind of like the idea of Roman paired with Josh Allen. The run game would always be on point, while Josh at this stage can essentially run the passing game on his own.

I think we need to keep Roman far far away from Josh.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JK Fan said:

Martindale took the bullet for Harbaugh.  It is just a matter of time now for Harbaugh.  Lamar as your QB is not a winning formula going forward.

I don't see why anyone needed to take a bullet. The Ravens haven't been under fire. Everyone understands that they lost like their whole team to injury.

Harbaugh is an excellent coach. He is one of the top coaches in the league.

I'm thinking this firing is more complicated than just chopping someone because they missed the playoffs. Maybe he didn't see eye to eye, maybe there was some internal strife, etc.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Most Bills fans probably feel that way, but it's an overreaction IMO. Roman wouldn't be developing Josh. He'd give Josh a consistent running game, though.

disagree.  
I don’t think Roman would know what to do with a real QB. 

Kap, Ty-rod and now Lamar.  
Alex Smith?   Who was never a downfield passer IIRC. 

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

He has a great system for mobile QBs. Did well with Kaepernick too. I kind of like the idea of Roman paired with Josh Allen. The run game would always be on point, while Josh at this stage can essentially run the passing game on his own.

There is something to be said for having an OC and not having the QB run the show.  The guy upstairs is calculating and has a plan that he tries to make work.  QBs on the field dont see everything going on all game.  I agree with the stuff about Roman but dont think I would want him back here.  Not a fan of his passing game and many times he has had a passing game coordinator while he just ran the running stuff.  That leads to confusing, slow play calls, and possibly arguments.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Most Bills fans probably feel that way, but it's an overreaction IMO. Roman wouldn't be developing Josh. He'd give Josh a consistent running game, though.

Nah, not worried about that.  I think putting him with Josh would be like setting a speed governor on a Porsche.

Roman is great for squeezing more from less, but …

Josh has too much top end for this guy.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

There is something to be said for having an OC and not having the QB run the show.  The guy upstairs is calculating and has a plan that he tries to make work.  QBs on the field dont see everything going on all game.  I agree with the stuff about Roman but dont think I would want him back here.  Not a fan of his passing game and many times he has had a passing game coordinator while he just ran the running stuff.  That leads to confusing, slow play calls, and possibly arguments.

It may. It would have to be a good fit, personality wise. I don't think there would be a passing game coordinator in this scenario, though. That's Josh at this point.

Despite Roman's apparent limitations, his offenses put up good numbers and get to Super Bowls when paired with a great head coach and defense. The Bills have those along with the franchise QB.

6 minutes ago, hemma said:

Nah, not worried about that.  I think putting him with Josh would be like setting a speed governor on a Porsche.

Roman is great for squeezing more from less, but …

Josh has too much top end for this guy.

Gailey had the same reputation. More from less.

Would you not want Josh in Gailey's offense?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.