Texans getting closer to hiring Josh McCown as Head Coach

Albany,n.y.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lovie?!

I called it upthread a bit.

Makes sense. There is no way they can offer the job to McCown. And if they hire Flores it would appear he got the job just to appease him. Would open the door to more lawsuits by minority candidates that may feel all they have to do is sue and they jump to the front of the line.

Lovie has prior experience, is on staff already and would be a minority here...which would look better.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Sure seems like they really wanted to hire McCown but can’t now 

Seems that way.  Gannon and McCown (white) were the reported front runners.  Now it's between Lovie and Flores.  Dysfunctional franchises do dysfunctional things.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lovie?!

Lovie shouldn’t have been fired by the Bears or Bucs. His last 3 seasons in Chicago he went 11-5 (lost in the NFCCG when Cutler had an injury) 8-8 ( when cutler Was injured after a 7-3 start) and 10-6

Bucs fired him to keep their OC (Dirk Koetter) oh and they fired him over the phone

Lovie is a good coach. Texans could do worse here

11 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Lovie shouldn’t have been fired by the Bears or Bucs. His last 3 seasons in Chicago he went 11-5 (lost in the NFCCG when Cutler had an injury) 8-8 ( when cutler Was injured after a 7-3 start) and 10-6

Bucs fired him to keep their OC (Dirk Koetter) oh and they fired him over the phone

Terrible at Illinois but college was not a good fit. 

9 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I agree he should never have been fired in Chicago, where he was dismissed after a 10-6 season, being 81-63 and 3-3 in the playoffs with a Superbowl appearance. That franchise has stunk ever since. That offseason he was fired he was the guy I wanted in Buffalo to replace Chan, get the most out of talented defense and bring some order and discipline to the organisation. 

He was horrible in Tampa though. He looked and sounded a bit outdated and out of touch and struggled to build a rapport with Jameis. The downside of Lovie generally has been his record with Quarterbacks has been questionable. The mistake Tampa made was keeping Koetter. They should have canned both. 

I'm not sure Lovie deserves a 3rd shot to be honest, but the Texans are struggling to attract high calibre candidates and will continue to while Jack Easterby is running the organisation. 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree he should never have been fired in Chicago, where he was dismissed after a 10-6 season, being 81-63 and 3-3 in the playoffs with a Superbowl appearance. That franchise has stunk ever since. That offseason he was fired he was the guy I wanted in Buffalo to replace Chan, get the most out of talented defense and bring some order and discipline to the organisation. 

He was horrible in Tampa though. He looked and sounded a bit outdated and out of touch and struggled to build a rapport with Jameis. The downside of Lovie generally has been his record with Quarterbacks has been questionable. The mistake Tampa made was keeping Koetter. They should have canned both. 

I'm not sure Lovie deserves a 3rd shot to be honest, but the Texans are struggling to attract high calibre candidates and will continue to while Jack Easterby is running the organisation. 

Jameis had issues with 3 different coaches, including his handpicked one. I agree, he may not deserve a 3rd shot, but he is certainly more qualified than McCown

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sure seems like they really wanted to hire McCown but can’t now 

Think someone from the NFL head office sat down and had a "Come-to-Jesus" meeting with McNair, Easterby, and Caserio?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not sure a number of retread HC who have gotten multiple chances to be a HC deserve them.  Smith overall has a winning record.  Tampa was a disaster when he took over (with McCown as his QB!) and the team improved his 2nd year.

For those not following, Smith was DC and associate head coach last season.  So this would be an internal hire.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure a number of retread HC who have gotten multiple chances to be a HC deserve them.  Smith overall has a winning record.  Tampa was a disaster when he took over (with McCown as his QB!) and the team improved his 2nd year.

For those not following, Smith was DC and associate head coach last season.  So this would be an internal hire.

This is true. And I think Lovie definitely deserved a 2nd shot. Not sure he deserves a 3rd one. And McCown as his Quarterback was his decision! He had been in Chicago with Lovie and they brought him in as, admittedly, a place holder. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is true. And I think Lovie definitely deserved a 2nd shot. Not sure he deserves a 3rd one. And McCown as his Quarterback was his decision! He had been in Chicago with Lovie and they brought him in as, admittedly, a place holder. 

Ironically enough, if Lovie is hired and McCown is brought on as an assistant (which is extremely plausible IMO) then then it could easily be that Lovie is the placeholder while McCown gets his coaching experience.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ironically enough, if Lovie is hired and McCown is brought on as an assistant (which is extremely plausible IMO) then then it could easily be that Lovie is the placeholder while McCown gets his coaching experience.

Think you are correct.

It wasn't as if Lovie wasn't known as a viable candidate to the Texans.  Magically Lovie appears as a HC candidate, the Texans brain trust didn't even think to look at him initially for the Rooney Rule, etc.   Post Flores lawsuit the pressure to hire a minority HC is obvious, esp after they fired Culley even if Culley was brain dead.  I think Culley was also a "palceholder" for McCown and someone to pickup the pieces post Watson.  Now the Texans can give Smith a shot and after he gets another 4 win seasons or two, they fire Smith and put in McCown who then has real NFL coaching experience.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.