Texans getting closer to hiring Josh McCown as Head Coach

Albany,n.y.

This is not out of the box thinking by the Texans. This looks like nobody else returned their calls. And even though there are only 31 jobs like it in the universe, working in that environment just isn’t worth it for many candidates. 

1 hour ago, ny33 said:

Culley did an outstanding job getting what looked like a 1 win Texans team to 4 wins. The team was competitive in some losses, too. He, Flores, and Zimmer should have been retained. 

Agree. Those changes seemed to be made for change sake

I do understand zimmer being let go just because the team wants/needs a different direction at the moment 

I think if frazier is hired by someone and zimmer would like a dc job the bills would be very interested 

19 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I thought he was well thought of in League circles?

I thought so too. But maybe because he doesn't have the experience it upsets a lot of people waiting for their chance. Also the jokes are low hanging fruit 

At least he wasn't coaching 13 years olds a year ago(sabres kevyn Adams reference)

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I remember reading that they really wanted to hire him last year but I don’t remember why they didn’t.

I think it was mainly there was too much pushback that they were going to hire someone with no coaching experience given a lot of more qualified minority candidates.   Also, they might still have been hoping that they could still get Watson back on board.

There was also quite a bit of speculation that they wanted Culley to make McCown the offensive coordinator and then have Culley politely step aside in two years.  Obviously, that did not happen -- I don't if that was because the stories simply not true or possibly McCown turned them down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Jdragon2 said:

I read that as Josh McDaniels because my brain couldn't process how ridiculous it is that it is McCown instead.

I did too and was surprised by the reaction after reading the first few posts.  I though it made sense given the NE connection with Caserio and McDaniels getting a 2nd crack at behind a head coach after years of at least an average offensive coordinator.  It took me until reading the sixth post that that's definitely not who we were talking about.  There's so many more worthy candidates out there.

20 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Honestly, this isn't that much different than the Doug Pederson hire, which was similarly laughed at. Pederson has a SB ring and made the playoffs three times in five years. 

The QB -- Mills -- looks like he might be OK and maybe even good. He was the #1 recruit in the country coming out of HS, after all. I think he dropped a bit because he didn't play that much in college (partly due to covid in 2020). His rookie numbers were pretty good, especially considering context and the rought start he got off too (i.e., the Buffalo game). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MillDa02.htm. Take away that Buffalo game, and his TD/INT ratio was 16/6 and his completion percentage is around 70. The equal of Mac Jones, basically, at least statistically. He has more arm talent than Jones, and if you look at the final four games of the season, he produced at a near-elite level. @GunnerBill, what say you about Mills?

This is not like Pederson at all.  Doug was a HC in high school for 4 years, an offensive quality control coach and then QB coach in Philadelphia, an OC in KC that actually called plays for Andy Reid - the year before becoming a head coach.

Pederson had 7 years of NFL coaching experience at different levels and 4 years head coaching at a HS level - to go a long with his playing career.  He has seen how to handle an NFL level staff at the NFL level and the entire interaction from medical staff, nutritional staff, work out and training staff, etc.

McCown on the other hand has volunteered as a QB coach in HS during his free time and was an assistant coach in HS for last season.  He has no experience at even being a HC let alone any NFL experience and you are talking about a team that just basically paid 22 million for a coach for 1 season and canned him.  If McCown takes the job it is to get paid because this has failure written all over it and will hurt his future chances.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, K-9 said:

This is not out of the box thinking by the Texans. This looks like nobody else returned their calls. And even though there are only 31 jobs like it in the universe, working in that environment just isn’t worth it for many candidates. 

Agreed. 

All of that’s fine, but why fire Culley.  You gave him 22 million and 5 years.  At least last year you had some legitimate candidates take you call, but I am assuming they were stuck with Culley for the actual hire.  

The situation got worse after firing Culley in 1 year - so now no one wants to take your call.  They were stupid even if they wanted to move on from Culley - you needed to keep him for year 2 at least.

Not only are they screwed looking at the HC, but what kind of staff can you put together.  If I have a rookie HC - I want some experience on the staff, but in this case with limited connections - can you even get a competent staff in place?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.