Referee tendencies could lead to physical Bills vs. Chiefs game

HOUSE

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

If this crew refuses to enforce the rules then its time for the Bills to adjust , Both teams can cheat.....lol

There's the rub! 

I think this officiating crew will impact the game, but who does it favor?

Refs who put the whistle in their pocket and don't like to call DPI helps--and hurts---BOTH TEAMS EQUALLY.

I'm puzzled by the fact that Hussey and his crew will do this game.  Last week's Raiders-Bengals game was refereed by a crew led by Jerome Bogler but made up partly of Hussey's regular crew.  The announcer said this crew (which screwed up with the false whistle on the pass from Burrow to a WR in the end zone) had not worked together before, but that it was made up of the best-graded members of other crews, plus Bogler.

Maybe Bogler got put on the shelf for the playoffs after the debacle in Cincinnati, and they brought back Hussey because they needed a replacement.  If so that might mean it's mostly the hybrid crew again (except for the guy who blew the erroneous whistle) but with Hussey replacing Bogler.

If all this is so, then maybe the refs responsible for watching for DH and DPI won't be the same members of Hussey's crew that have the tendency to let them play and not call penalties.

What a thing to be worried about.  As someone else posted, you shouldn't have to take into account who the refs are when you put together your game plan.

5 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

I'll remember you posted your comment above while KC DBs are holding/mauling our WRs downfield long enough for Chris Jones to pound Josh into the turf.   This is how KC beat us last year, how TB beat GB (no way that should have happened), and for pete's sake this is how the Giants beat the Bills in the SB.  Play press and  Illegally beat the crap out of the WRs bc the refs "are letting them play".   All the while we are playing 2 deep zone.   BS.   It's not fair and the league (after seeing enough key games get stolen for lack of proper DPI refereeing - see Vikings/Saints as well where a DB mugging cost the game) needs to police their most important games.   I'm kind of not looking forward to watching the game as I f ing know this is going to happen and I will lose my mind over it.   Might be bourbon time for this one.  screw the beer.  Go bills. 

I'll remember you posted your comment above while KC DBs are holding/mauling our WRs downfield long enough for Chris Jones to pound Josh into the turf.   This is how KC beat us last year, how TB beat GB (no way that should have happened), and for pete's sake this is how the Giants beat the Bills in the SB.  Play press and  Illegally beat the crap out of the WRs bc the refs "are letting them play".   All the while we are playing 2 deep zone.   BS.   It's not fair and the league (after seeing enough key games get stolen for lack of proper DPI refereeing - see Vikings/Saints as well where a DB mugging cost the game) needs to police their most important games.   I'm kind of not looking forward to watching the game as I f ing know this is going to happen and I will lose my mind over it.   Might be bourbon time for this one.  screw the beer.  Go bills. 

Oh so nice

You say it thrice

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Where did I say I believe that?

Not stated, but strongly implied

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I said it’s their biggest test and Jones is a beast and abused their interior last year…. His numbers are down in large part due to the Chiefs playing him at end earlier in the year and he had some injuries.

What are Jones numbers since he was switched back to the interior?

I'm not sure I saw you say "biggest test", but assuming you did...why is Jones a bigger test than TJ Watt or Cam Jordan or Judon or Landry or Reddick or Heyward or Shaq Barrett or Ogbah?

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Again, I think your jumping the gun on the offensive line…. They’ve played much better but their improvement is going to be tested big time Sunday against Chris Jones and that Chiefs front. 

Recall last year when Jones took a full right hook swing and hit Feliciano in the helmet?  No call.  Total BS!  He should have been ejected from the game.  Nothing less.  If that happens again this year, Bills fans should riot in the streets.

2 minutes ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Recall last year when Jones took a full right hook swing and hit Feliciano in the helmet?  No call.  Total BS!  He should have been ejected from the game.  Nothing less.  If that happens again this year, Bills fans should riot in the streets.

I believe that the refs saw some punching activity from Feliciano prior to the right hook and one could argue they both should have been ejected.

Here's to Williams and Bates Good Health!

6 hours ago, HOUSE said:

image.png.3020bb3484c9d7241d5ec2619afee632.png

John Hussey

The head referee for the game will be John Hussey, whose crew is known for a very “let them play” approach relative to his fellow officiating teams. A graph outlining this was completed by “footballzebras” using data from nflfastR:

As you can see, Hussey’s crew has a tendency to swallow their whistles a little more than their striped comrades, and given the way the last couple of games have played out between these two teams, it could end up mattering.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/1/20/22892344/opinion-referee-tendencies-could-lead-to-physical-buffalo-bills-kansas-city-chiefs-game

if the game is called equally on both sides then so be it. If ANY homerism kicks in towards the home team though I won't be happy.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Mostly because of Chris Jones. He’s a gigantic difference maker and we couldn’t contain him last season. That guy changed the game IMO…. Along with the well timed and disguised Chiefs blitzes, Allen was consistently running backwards and taking gigantic losses. I absolutely think the Bills will be better prepared this time around as they were in the game earlier in the year, but the lines ability to block him is the key to the game. 

I've said all along that Jones is an elite defensive player, probably the best DT in the league behind Aaron Donald.

And while this oline has been great in recent weeks and Felciano will hopefully be nowhere on the field come Sunday, I still worry in the back of my mind that this guy is going to demolish our interior which is where Allen always seems to struggle (and turn the ball over).

Also don't forget that Melvin Ingram lit up Dawkins in week one against the Steelers when he was still there. Obviously Dawkins was not even close to playing at the level he is now then coming off his covid battle, but it's another matchup worth noting and was a very overlooked inseason move by the Chiefs to shore up their defense.

At the end of the day if the Bills offensive line holds up against the Chiefs dline and controls the line off scrimage they should definitely win this game.

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Dude did you watch the championship game last year? 

Jones single-handedly wrecked our offense…. Not sure why you are trying to down play him. The dude is a game wrecker as witnessed by every Bills fan last year… Bills are already better off with Feliciano on the bench…. And I meant biggest test to our most recent put together offensive line. 

Where did I downplay what Jones did last year?

That was Then, This is Now.  I'm just asking why you think a different year for Jones and a different OL for the Bills is going to achieve the same result?

That doesn't seem like a hard question - you have a belief set, help me understand why you believe what you do

It looks like Dane Jackson likes to try and play physical. 

Given the crew and the stakes, I hope the team comes out really physical at OL and CB, daring the refs to throw a flag. It is easier to pull back pretty quickly then to try and push the line as the game goes on. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

because that’s how the Chefs play. A lil dirty 

Right. I really don't want the team to whine about it and play "clean" like they did in the AFCCG. Come out with the expectation that this is how the game is going to go. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, HOUSE said:

If this crew refuses to enforce the rules then its time for the Bills to adjust , Both teams can cheat.....lol

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Expect the same game plan as last years AFC championship game…. Chiefs blitz and hold our receivers as much as they can get away with. Hopefully Bills have a plan for it.

Treat referees as part of opposition and try to get used on picks, etc.

32 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Buffalo played a pretty physical game when they played KC during the season.  I think that was an adjustment to the KC strategy from last year's playoffs.  I expect they'll continue.   Obviously, it worked in October.  

I don't put much stock in the October win. However, at the very least the Bills know they can win in Arrowhead. This team is ready to play. The moment won't be too big. The Bills are healthy minus Tre. This team hasn't forgotten about last year. They have waited a year for this game. The organization has prepped and prepared for this exact match up. It's what everyone has been waiting for. No excuses. It's time to stay focused for 4 quarters, execute, have a great game plan, and play Bills football. Let's win this fuc#ing game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Expect the same game plan as last years AFC championship game…. Chiefs blitz and hold our receivers as much as they can get away with. Hopefully Bills have a plan for it.

Totally agree. They will bring 5 and they'll be holding our guys all day. I expect to see alot of flailing arms in this game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.