Cleveland Browns appreciation thread

Royale with Cheese

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

The Cleveland Browns were locked in on Josh Allen as their #1 overall pick!

But then, someone released some tweets hours before the 2018 NFL draft by Allen having made derogatory remarks while in high school. (Wonder who could have done this *cough* *cough*)

"ARLINGTON, Texas – Quarterback prospect Josh Allen said he was “deeply sorry” for racially insensitive tweets that surfaced early Thursday, hours before the start of the NFL draft. 

Allen did not deny sending the tweets, which were reported by Yahoo Sports on Thursday and included racial slurs and other offensive language, when he was in high school."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2018/04/26/josh-allen-tweets-nfl-draft-2018-first-round/556369002/

Sure didn't stop the Buffalo Bills from trading up in the draft and selecting Josh Allen  Excited Ultimate Warrior GIF by WWE

Reports came out prior to the tweets coming out that the Browns were locked-in on Mayfield.  And if some old tweets were enough to change their minds...

5 hours ago, T master said:

I must say when that draft was coming up i was all about the Bills drafting Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen & am so glad that Beane is the Bills GM because i would have gotten that so wrong .

One thing i do wonder though is because of the Bills history and their lack of developing QB's that they have drafted in the past that had some talent such as Losman, Manuel, Trent & some others could their lack of growth be directly tied to their situation & the coaching involved with them ?

I know by changing coaching staffs that surely didn't help Losman, or EJ in their development & i wonder if that could have been some of the problem with Sam & Baker to this point besides Bakers injury this year .

Todd Collins

I can never pile on Browns fan like I can for the Pats and other bandwagon fan bases. Our Lake Erie cousins have known the deep, long lasting suffering that Bills fans know personally. 

Since the Pegulas bought the team, we have had a wealth of good decisions back to back from allowing Mahomes to get away until we had confirmed a GM capable of handling a good QB well to the hiring of Clappy. 

As these decisions are vindicated week by week, it's as though we need to slap ourselves in the face weekly to ensure we aren't hallucinating. Can anyone today say publicly that Allen is not Mahomes' equal?

If karma is real, Bills fans are being repaid threefold for their fealty during the decade of fail.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I can never pile on Browns fan like I can for the Pats and other bandwagon fan bases. Our Lake Erie cousins have known the deep, long lasting suffering that Bills fans know personally. 

Since the Pegulas bought the team, we have had a wealth of good decisions back to back from allowing Mahomes to get away until we had confirmed a GM capable of handling a good QB well to the hiring of Clappy. 

As these decisions are vindicated week by week, it's as though we need to slap ourselves in the face weekly to ensure we aren't hallucinating. Can anyone today say publicly that Allen is not Mahomes' equal?

If karma is real, Bills fans are being repaid threefold for their fealty during the decade of fail.

I was lamenting the decision to trade down and not draft Mahomes.  Until last year.  Now I think it was the best thing they could have done.  Josh is the perfect person for Buffalo and a great QB.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, stuvian said:

It all starts at the top. It’s hard to consistently field a good team if you don’t have a good owner. I’m afraid our Browns fan friends are doomed. 

2 minutes ago, CSBill said:

The Cleveland Browns have become the Dallas Cowboys of the AFC.

Yes and no, IMO. They certainly get more media hype than they deserve. The difference seems to be Cleveland really wants to be very good, while Dallas is under the delusion that they are very good. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We should take the time and thank the Browns franchise.  Both of our franchises were in the cellar for 2 decades.  We got Allen and McDermott to change our franchise and they rejected them.

Everyone say thank you.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-all-signs-pointing-to-browns-taking-josh-allen-no-1-overall-right-now/

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/report-browns-wanted-to-hire-sean-mcdermott-but-owner-disagreed/article_6a84b1df-cfc1-5ba4-b8c0-ec131c070461.html

The 3rd round pick for TuhROD cemented my love for them.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

This example just illustrates the problems when ownership meddles or over-involves themselves in player personnel decisions.  It's played out countless times across many organizations over the years (including our own far too many times)

Let the experts do their jobs - and go count your money and your play toys in the corner somewhere else

Ownership should "meddle" when team wants you involved.  Terry Pegula went with team to look at Allen, was involved with interviewing Allen and he was full bore on getting Allen as QB.  While players usually go to team drafted their attitude toward team makes a difference whether a team is interested in signing such players.  

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Ownership should "meddle" when team wants you involved.  Terry Pegula went with team to look at Allen, was involved with interviewing Allen and he was full bore on getting Allen as QB.  While players usually go to team drafted their attitude toward team makes a difference whether a team is interested in signing such players.  

He also reportedly really liked Mahomes.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We should take the time and thank the Browns franchise.  Both of our franchises were in the cellar for 2 decades.  We got Allen and McDermott to change our franchise and they rejected them.

Everyone say thank you.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-all-signs-pointing-to-browns-taking-josh-allen-no-1-overall-right-now/

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/report-browns-wanted-to-hire-sean-mcdermott-but-owner-disagreed/article_6a84b1df-cfc1-5ba4-b8c0-ec131c070461.html

Need to thank tampa aswell for giving us the josh pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Everyone say thank you.

No thansk Browns can go ***** themselves. I want them to be bad forever.

• Haha (+1) 1

When you're right...

@Doc

"Reports came out prior to the tweets coming out that the Browns were locked-in on Mayfield.  And if some old tweets were enough to change their minds..."

"Late Thursday morning, about nine hours before the draft, he gathered the senior staff to tell them the order of the quarterbacks, and what he was likely to do with the top pick—take Mayfield. He kept the board covered until early evening, and shortly before the draft began, the room knew the QB order. And, of course, who the top pick would be. How’d I find out on the Sunday night before the draft that the pick definitely would not be Josh Allen"

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/30/baker-mayfield-cleveland-browns-draft-mmqb-peter-king

Interesting note...

" Josh McDaniels who visited Mayfield in his hometown of Austin on Monday. That would lend credence to the theory in some corners that if Mayfield dropped down to, say, six or seven in round one, New England might have been able to offer enough to move up from the 23rd pick in the round to tempt a team in trade."

Even Arizona...

• They got very little action on the No. 4 pick. Four teams called Dorsey with interest in moving up. None got serious. Only one team (I’d guess Arizona) offered a 2019 first-round pick as part of the package to move, which is surprising considering that two quarterbacks were still on the board when the fourth pick came up. The team willing to include its first-rounder next year said to Dorsey before the draft began: “I’m coming up for one player and one player only, and that’s Baker Mayfield.”

Edited by Nihilarian

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.