[Edited title] Chiefs starting LB Willie Gay arrested on DV charge, released from Jail Thursday

Paul Costa

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to [Edited title] Chiefs starting LB Willie Gay arrested on DV charge, released Thursday
4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hmmm.  Thread title says released Thursday....you might want to add "....from jail".  I thought he was released from the Chiefs until I read your update!  (not that I thought Andy Reid would actually hold him accountable...)

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Can we change the title of this thread already. Gay isn't in jail. Never was in jail.

Seems like he was:

Gay was expected to be released from jail sometime Thursday afternoon on his own recognizance, meaning he does not have to post any bond money with the court.

A judge prohibited him from contacting his ex-partner, who spoke during the virtual court hearing, or their 3-month-old son pursuant to a protection order expected to be served on Gay before he is released from custody. Gay acknowledged that order but made no other comments during the hearing.

Gay, 23, was arrested at about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday and charged with criminal damage to property totaling less than $1,000. He was booked into the county jail just under two hours later, court records show.

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Yikes, terrible title edit.  Makes it seem the Chiefs released him.

Just now, Yard Monkey said:

Hmmm.  Thread title says released Thursday....you might want to add "....from jail".  I thought he was released from the Chiefs until I read your update!  (not that I thought Andy Reid would actually hold him accountable...)

Fair points.  Yeah, Andy is not gonna freakin' care, not with signing Damon Arnette.

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to [Edited title] Chiefs starting LB Willie Gay arrested on DV charge, released from Jail Thursday
48 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

KC Star op ed, suggesting that he not play this weekend. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arrest-kc-chiefs-lb-gay-153506608.html

Chiefs HC Andy Reid, stating that he will play this weekend:

https://news.yahoo.com/chiefs-hc-andy-reid-says-195053636.html

I had forgotten about Jovan Belcher (for others who have, this gem of a Chiefs LB murdered his girlfriend/mother of his infant child then killed himself in the parking lot of the Chiefs practice facility back in December of 2012 (in front of Scott Pioli and then HC Romeo Crennel).

But the Star makes a valid point that this type of behavior does tend to worsen if intervention is not sought, and that Willie Gay does have a long history of mental health problems, including as recently as this October:

Gay, who has talked in the past about his long-standing mental health problems, should give full attention to getting help now.

In October, Gay opened up about his struggles with the mental health issues that have plagued him since high school and college. He was suspended for nine games in college for academic fraud and reportedly injured the team’s quarterback during a fight.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/10/30/22754574/willie-gay-jr-opens-up-about-his-mental-health-struggles

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sounds like a well-reasoned decision:

“Well, I decided that he’ll play,” Reid said. “I’m not going to get into the conversations (that we’ve had). I’m not going to do that. I decided that after just hearing some of the information there.”

8 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Sounds like a well-reasoned decision:

“Well, I decided that he’ll play,” Reid said. “I’m not going to get into the conversations (that we’ve had). I’m not going to do that. I decided that after just hearing some of the information there.”

Let's go in depth on Andy Reid's decision making process:

Could he help our team win?

Yes -> He's playing

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It is a sad state of affairs in KC.  One wonders if the prior regime of Scott Pioii and Romeo Crennel,who saw Jovan Belcher kill himself after murdering his girlfriend, would react differently.  A different perspective and empathy may be warranted in hopes this young man gets his problems sorted out soon.

Edited by freddyjj

If you look at Reid's history, you'd see he cares very little about personal/off the field issues and is the epitome of living and breathing football 24/7.

Remember he had another son who was on the Eagles coaching staff that died of a heroin overdose right before the 2012 season. He was advised to step away and resign and declined. Eagles went 4-12 that year and he was fired anyway. Everyone thought he was step away from coaching but went right to KC the next year as HC.

I'm not trying to attack the guys character but between the aforementioned circumstances with his children (including his other son's incident last year) and bringing in the type of players he has it's pretty clear he just doesn't care about 'culture' and outside distractions. It also says a lot considering the Chiefs have been to 2 straight SB's and 3 straight AFCCG's but this is what McDermott and this team are up against.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had forgotten about Jovan Belcher (for others who have, this gem of a Chiefs LB murdered his girlfriend/mother of his infant child then killed himself in the parking lot of the Chiefs practice facility back in December of 2012 (in front of Scott Pioli and then HC Romeo Crennel).

But the Star makes a valid point that this type of behavior does tend to worsen if intervention is not sought, and that Willie Gay does have a long history of mental health problems, including as recently as this October:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/10/30/22754574/willie-gay-jr-opens-up-about-his-mental-health-struggles

Yeah but Tyrel Dodson got drunk and acted up 5 years ago so the Bills & chiefs both have dirtbags. The chiefs have 30 but who’s counting. I love how they rationalize the teams overall behavior. Such ignorant fans in KC

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.