Does anyone think the Lamar Jackson situation this year was strange?

FireChans

11 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

A bone bruise cannot be trivialized. One cannot just take pain medicine and ignore the symptoms. Despite Roethlisberger’s ironman reputation, he can’t just play through it. Edema or swelling in the bone can lead to complications and articular cartilage loss if not careful. What is a bone bruise? It is not a simple contusion that is treated with ice and managed symptomatically. A deep bone bruise is essentially a microscopic fracture, much like a ligament sprain is a microscopic tear. I am not suggesting it is a true fracture that needs surgery or casting, but there is compromise to the integrity of the bone in order to get the swelling/fluid inside the bone. Think of the bones of the knee being covered by articular cartilage like the dirt of the football field has grass on top. When an elephant stomps on the grass, the dirt underneath can be damaged/compressed. In order to allow the grass (articular cartilage) the best chance to rejuvenate and heal, you can’t keep playing football on it. The “keep off the grass” sign allows a chance to heal. Last year, Broncos LB Danny Trevathan was placed on short-term IR for a bone bruise. As a result of recurrent injury, he needed offseason surgery. I am not suggesting this will happen to Roethlisberger, but the top Steelers medical staff will have this in mind as they allow their QB to return to play

per dr david chao

I came to say this, bone bruises are no joke, like at all.  I rowed, raced team Canada, and went through selection camp for the world rowing championships on a broken rib. That was super painful, but pain management was possible. A few years later I got a bone bruise on my foot playing soccer...Jesus, I could not walk right for months, it was brutal. I can't imagine trying to make cuts like Lamar. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Very strange he was voted to Pro Bowl and he did not even play last 6 games.

Rooney Rule sub clause?

^^^

There it is.  The real reason this thread was created.  

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I think that’s a little over the top, personally.

Oh please.  You know exactly what you're doing by this point.  You've wormed through the substratum separating this forum from PPP to start threads like this one.  

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

^^^

There it is.  The real reason this thread was created.  

Oh please.  You know exactly what you're doing by this point.  You've wormed through the substratum separating this forum from PPP to start threads like this one.  

Lol and MY thread about speculation is over the top?

As much as I enjoy your football takes, you are WAY off on this one. 

21 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Lame

Agreed, shots like that are insane. 

There are a ton of great black QB’s in the NFL. Dak, Kyler, Lamar, along with some guys who have potential like Hurts, Tua, Fields. We should be going forward, not backward.

Edited by FireChans

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Glad you said this for me, thanks.

A guy like Allen doesn't help this scenario either. The Pro-Bowl voting validates this.

Agreed we should be going forward, however merit still matters.

The Jackson over Allen pro bowl thing is not truly "going forward" IMO.

Jauronimo was being sarcastic my dude.

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is pretty much where I am.  If the Ravens were down Lamar and otherwise full-strength, if Lamar could go, he'd have played.  But the Ravens were hit by the injury bug in historical fashion.  Risking long-term injury for an unlikely playoff run would have been a bad decision.

Plus, I think a 100% Huntley is better than a 60% Jackson, anyway.

See this makes MORE sense to me. Honestly probably smart from a management standpoint. It wasn’t their year, and shut it down. I buy that.

An unusual situation in the NFL, but they were an unusually injured football team. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I came to say this, bone bruises are no joke, like at all.  I rowed, raced team Canada, and went through selection camp for the world rowing championships on a broken rib. That was super painful, but pain management was possible. A few years later I got a bone bruise on my foot playing soccer...Jesus, I could not walk right for months, it was brutal. I can't imagine trying to make cuts like Lamar. 

Exactly. While you really wouldn't want your pocket passer  quarterback in there either it would be literally impossible for someone like Jackson that relies on his legs

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Lamar has been garbage the last two seasons. Teams figured him out and he’s either being stubborn and is not adjusting or he can’t adjust and simply what you see is what you get. Ravens have found themselves in a predicament with Jackson

His pre-draft scouting report is starting to catch up to him now.

There is so much about the Lamar situation that is a little strange. I will just kind of simplify a very complicated situation by saying…..I don’t think the guy that came in for him, was that much worse. Take that how you will. The guy isn’t a good passer. Doesn’t really seem like you are allowed to think that but it’s true. Incredible runner. Maybe the best I have ever seen. He isn’t a threat as a passer IMO. MVP…he won it. I can’t say he didn’t. I wouldn’t want him to be my teams QB and if he was, I’d be begging for an offense that threw less then 10 passes a game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There is so much about the Lamar situation that is a little strange. I will just kind of simplify a very complicated situation by saying…..I don’t think the guy that came in for him, was that much worse. Take that how you will. The guy isn’t a good passer. Doesn’t really seem like you are allowed to think that but it’s true. Incredible runner. Maybe the best I have ever seen. He isn’t a threat as a passer IMO. MVP…he won it. I can’t say he didn’t. I wouldn’t want him to be my teams QB and if he was, I’d be begging for an offense that threw less then 10 passes a game.

So, let's break that down a bit.  Folks keep saying "he's not a great passer."  He can make every single throw.  He can make sidearm throws that few others can make.  He can throw it on a rope; he can wrist-flick it downfield with ease.  He IS a great passer - or at least a great thrower.  He's not Tim Tebow (talk about a real media darling, there).  He's far more than just a running QB.

That said - can he run the offense within its structure?  That's the issue I think they're struggling with.  Huntley came in and ran the offense pretty well - in some ways perhaps better than Jackson had.  In terms of electricity, playing outside of the structure and overcoming a bad play call, no one in the league is better at those things than Lamar Jackson.  But it is TBD on whether he can actually run that offense, or any offense, within its true structure - which he'll need to be able to do if they're going to take the next step with him.

None of this, of course, has anything to do with his injury.  I STILL do not understand why that was the angle of the OP.  Multiple posters have explained why a bone bruise is serious business.  A couple folks raised the good point that what happened in Cleveland is basically Worst Case Scenario, rushing a young QB back from injury when he's clearly not 100% and asking him to carry your team and then having him face-plant.  Don'treally see the media beating up on Baker for playing hurt - most takes seem to be criticizing the team for putting him in that position, with plenty of folks saying that he sucks even when he's healthy.  But the whispered view that perhaps Lamar is getting a "pass" for bailing on his team with a boo-boo is not something that has any traction, anywhere.

^^^

And again, this is exactly what the OP invited and incited.  Not falling for the “I’m just asking questions!” routine.  “I’m just flashing the OK sign!”  Plausible deniability.  We’ve seen this act before.  The seeds were sewn and the message was sent and the predictable soldiers have arrived to air their grievances.

This was never a football thread.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

^^^

And again, this is exactly what the OP invited and incited.  Not falling for the “I’m just asking questions!” routine.  “I’m just flashing the OK sign!”  Plausible deniability.  We’ve seen this act before.  The seeds were sewn and the message was sent and the predictable soldiers have arrived to air their grievances.

This was never a football thread.

I'm not sure if that is what the OP intended. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. With that said, I'll admit that I really have no idea what the intent of this thread is. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.