Does anyone think the Lamar Jackson situation this year was strange?

FireChans

18 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If dismissing anyone who isn’t an nfl player with the same injury - what discussion were you hoping to start here? 

How many people did anything with a torn labrum and broken shoulder this year? Let alone played football?

Baker Mayfield did. In the words of Sammy Watkins, let’s not pretend all of y’all’s little jobs are the same.

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't think the OP is questioning Lamar (although the wording of the post is a bit confusing in that regard).  I think he's subtly questioning the media's "agenda" which is, among other things, extremely tiresome at this point.  

Right.  Black QB’s have it so good.  That’s why bums like Rosen and Darnold got drafted ahead of him.  And why the guy’s won an MVP and is still playing on his rookie deal.  

24 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Right.  Black QB’s have it so good.  That’s why bums like Rosen and Darnold got drafted ahead of him.  And why the guy’s won an MVP and is still playing on his rookie deal.  

Are we acting like Lamar Jackson is not a media darling?

there are two sides to every contract negotiation. For all you know, Lamar wants to be paid more than Mahomes. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not so black and white as you make it. 

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

So we all know the Ravens were extremely unlucky IRT injuries this year. Still, despite being extremely banged up, this team was at one point one seed 2/3rds of the way through the season.

they lost their final 6 to miss the postseason, 4 of those with LJ out with injury. Lamar’s injury? A bone bruise.

So Lamar sits for their last 4, basically dooming a team that was 8-5, because he couldn’t play on a bone bruise? I get it, it was probably extremely painful, they probably weren’t going to go deep into the postseason but still.

If it were Baker Mayfield who was in a similar situation, I think the media crushes him. Even if it was Aaron Rodgers, I think it’s a major topic. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone in the media even ask the question, was Lamar truly that hurt that they had to roll with “one read” Huntley and ruin their whole season?

If I was a Ravens fan, I’d be kinda pissed. If I was a Ravens player, I’d be probably pretty annoyed. A lot of guys are banged up near the end of the year. Lamar with four weeks off couldn’t give it a go against the Steelers in a must win game? Even at 70%, wouldn’t he give them their best chance to win? 

IIRC, Lamar has played through some injuries.  I see no reason to question his toughness.  The guy is a gamer.  Let the training staff and coaches decide (which they did).  Players have also had their careers shortened or become permanently less effective by playing through some injuries - see Luck, Andrew.  A team is foolish to put a valued player in that position.  They're also foolish to put a key player on IR unnecessarily for an injury with an unpredictable and variable timeline.

It can go the other way, too.  Arguably, the Browns might have been in the playoffs if they sat Mayfield and played Case Keenum for a few more games.  Keenum had a career year and a trip to the Conference Championship in Minnesota playing for Stefanski / Shurmur in a run-centric offense. 

And at a smaller impact level, some of us have wondered if the Bills would be playing at home this weekend if they had played McKenzie for an obviously injured and hindered Beasley against (say) the Jaguars.  Beasley was 8 for 11 in that game, but with a pitiful 3 YPT and 4.13 Y/R, and was notably going down immediately before he was hit.  A few more first downs could potentially have swung that game.

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

I don’t think Lamar is malingering. If he can’t go, he can’t go. I wouldn’t hold it against him personally. He’s gotta look out for himself, look what happened to Baker. He played hurt and played himself out of a long term deal.

I think there may be more to the story because on its face it seems kinda odd and it seemed to me to not really be discussed. 

Perhaps you would like to visit a Ravens board, where it is probably being discussed with great interest.

This is a Bills board, and while fans of other teams are welcome and discussion of other teams is appropriate, it's a bit sketchy to start threads to speculate about injuries/illnesses of players on other teams who are out of the playoffs.

• Agree 1

I think he has a chronic illness that needs management.  Health with chronic illness is peaks and valleys. 

In addition to COVID twice, he's had two illnesses over two seasons that were not disclosed that have kept him off the field.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IIRC, Lamar has played through some injuries.  I see no reason to question his toughness.  The guy is a gamer.  Let the training staff and coaches decide

Players have also had their careers shortened or become permanently less effective by playing through some injuries - see Luck, Andrew.  A team is foolish to put a valued player in that position.

It can go the other way, too.  Arguably, the Browns might have been in the playoffs if they sat Mayfield and played Case Keenum for a few more games.  Keenum had a career year and a trip to the Conference Championship in Minnesota playing for Stefanski / Shurmur in a run-centric offense. 

And at a smaller impact level, some of us have wondered if the Bills would be playing at home this weekend if they had played McKenzie for an obviously injured and hindered Beasley against (say) the Jaguars.  Beasley was 8 for 11 in that game, but with a pitiful 3 YPT and 4.13 Y/R, and was notably going down immediately before he was hit.  A few more first downs could potentially have swung that game.

Perhaps you would like to visit a Ravens board, where it is probably being discussed with great interest.

This is a Bills board, and while fans of other teams are welcome and discussion of other teams is appropriate, it's a bit sketchy to start threads to speculate about injuries/illnesses of players on other teams who are out of the playoffs.

Dude. Lamar Jackson will probably the second biggest AFC rival to Josh Allen for the next 15 years. I think one topic on him is ok.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Dude. Lamar Jackson will probably the second biggest AFC rival to Josh Allen for the next 15 years. I think one topic on him is ok.

If I didn't agree, I'd close it, but when you go into encouraging rampant speculation and saying it's "odd" that it's "not really discussed" as you did here:

I think there may be more to the story because on its face it seems kinda odd and it seemed to me to not really be discussed

.......I think it's fair to point out that unsourced speculation about another team's players injuries and plaints that "it seemed to not really be discussed" may be a bridge too far during the playoffs, so don't take it too far.

We do routinely point out that topics which are appropriate during a slack week in the off-season are not necessarily so during training camp/regular season/playoffs.

• Eyeroll 1

49 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Why are you doing this.

Doing what? Discussing a rival QB?

I don’t understand what the big deal is. There was rampant speculation that he’s battling IBD or some other problems months ago. I don’t know if any of that holds water. But it’s just kinda weird.

I definitely think the situation is strange but his entire situation is strange. He is Tebow if Tebow was better, his running sets up his passing. If Lamar can't run well he is not very effective, even when he is throwing for 300 yards the threat of run is important. So a bone bruise for him is different than others.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

So we all know the Ravens were extremely unlucky IRT injuries this year. Still, despite being extremely banged up, this team was at one point one seed 2/3rds of the way through the season.

they lost their final 6 to miss the postseason, 4 of those with LJ out with injury. Lamar’s injury? A bone bruise.

So Lamar sits for their last 4, basically dooming a team that was 8-5, because he couldn’t play on a bone bruise? I get it, it was probably extremely painful, they probably weren’t going to go deep into the postseason but still.

If it were Baker Mayfield who was in a similar situation, I think the media crushes him. Even if it was Aaron Rodgers, I think it’s a major topic. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone in the media even ask the question, was Lamar truly that hurt that they had to roll with “one read” Huntley and ruin their whole season?

If I was a Ravens fan, I’d be kinda pissed. If I was a Ravens player, I’d be probably pretty annoyed. A lot of guys are banged up near the end of the year. Lamar with four weeks off couldn’t give it a go against the Steelers in a must win game? Even at 70%, wouldn’t he give them their best chance to win? 

I'm sure there were a lot of factors at play but realistically the entire Ravens organization probably realized once Jackson got hurt and was added to a very long list of key players lost over the course of the season they weren't going to risk the future and bigger picture against the short term where it was highly unlikely they would contend for a championship even if they made the playoffs as a WC team.

So if that's the reality it was certainly the right move to not try and force Jackson back into the lineup. Also Jackson himself had to make somewhat of a business decision as well knowing he's in line for a big pay day even from the Ravens or someone else.

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I think he has a chronic illness that needs management.  Health with chronic illness is peaks and valleys. 

In addition to COVID twice, he's had two illnesses over two seasons that were not disclosed that have kept him off the field.  

This is the more concerning thing to me. He missed practice a lot with "an illness" and I think even a game. They made sure to say it wasn't Covid related. 

On a human level I hope the guy is OK, because he is a really good person. As a football fan, I hope he is OK because he is incredibly fun to watch and a unique talent in this game. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

How many people did anything with a torn labrum and broken shoulder this year? Let alone played football?

Baker Mayfield did. In the words of Sammy Watkins, let’s not pretend all of y’all’s little jobs are the same.

so what your saying is you are seeking attention more than anyone’s input?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.