Does anyone think the Lamar Jackson situation this year was strange?

FireChans

The only thing I think was "strange" was the Ravens not giving Lamar a huge deal at least after Josh got his, despite winning MVP and making the Pro Bowl in 2019.  That tells me they're not sold on him as a franchise QB.  I can't imagine that missing so much time has changed their minds.

• Agree 1

I think LJ was legitimately hurt and lost his ability to move around and run effectively.  I don't think he is being coddled by the media, but it is a concern for the Ravens and their fans.  If a QB can't stay healthy (Baker this year too)...it's a knock on him.  I'm sorry, but it is.  

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I said if I was a Ravens fan or player. I’m neither of those things. I swear, I’m not Marlon Humphrey. 

I do wonder the extent of his injury, because there’s basically no details. That’s why it’s strange. 

Haha!

I don't know if there is anything more to the extent of his injury than a bone bruise, particularly given his style of play. I have had a bone bruise - and I know I am not an elite NFL athlete, but I have to tell you it took a long time to heal and was incredibly painful. I think more highly of Jackson than a lot of posters here and I think he is highly competetive and gives everything he has when he is on the field. I believe he would have played if he was able. 

I think Baker should have taken a page or two out of Lamar's playbook and sat his rear down at some point in the season to give his body time to heal. By the last game, when he finally sat out, he basically was a walking injury to his entire left side.

Lamar's season - the Ravens season as a whole - was very strange. We'll see what impacts it has, if any, at some point.

Imo the ravens, or the NFL in general, could not risk exposing Lamar Jackson for what he truly is… A gifted athlete. He is not a quarterback. With the bone bruise you take away his ability to run, forcing him into being a quarterback, standing in the pocket, reading the defense and making NFL level throws. You take all of that away and hes a mediocre QB in this league 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

So we all know the Ravens were extremely unlucky IRT injuries this year. Still, despite being extremely banged up, this team was at one point one seed 2/3rds of the way through the season.

they lost their final 6 to miss the postseason, 4 of those with LJ out with injury. Lamar’s injury? A bone bruise.

So Lamar sits for their last 4, basically dooming a team that was 8-5, because he couldn’t play on a bone bruise? I get it, it was probably extremely painful, they probably weren’t going to go deep into the postseason but still.

If it were Baker Mayfield who was in a similar situation, I think the media crushes him. Even if it was Aaron Rodgers, I think it’s a major topic. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone in the media even ask the question, was Lamar truly that hurt that they had to roll with “one read” Huntley and ruin their whole season?

If I was a Ravens fan, I’d be kinda pissed. If I was a Ravens player, I’d be probably pretty annoyed. A lot of guys are banged up near the end of the year. Lamar with four weeks off couldn’t give it a go against the Steelers in a must win game? Even at 70%, wouldn’t he give them their best chance to win? 

2 of those losses were because Harbaugh opted to go for 2 instead of OT twice. Had he had just played for OT, they may have won one or both, instead he basically gave the Ravens 2 additional losses that ended their season

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is pretty much where I am.  If the Ravens were down Lamar and otherwise full-strength, if Lamar could go, he'd have played.  But the Ravens were hit by the injury bug in historical fashion.  Risking long-term injury for an unlikely playoff run would have been a bad decision.

Plus, I think a 100% Huntley is better than a 60% Jackson, anyway.

I think Huntley is the better QB. 

You really have zero clue what your talking about. Try ripping off your big toe nail and tell me what you mobility is. People criticize stuff like this or turf toe etc.. and have zero clue how much even something like losing a toe nail impacts your ability to move. These guys are literally the peak of athletics and injuries that limit them even 10% have a massive impact on what they can or can't do. I have no doubt Lamar tried to make a go and it just wouldn't happen. I blocked a shot in hockey that went right to the bone on my leg and I thought my leg broke, I can't imagine what his situation was.

The Ravens had a cursed type season of injuries and even with that had multiple chances to get in. Truthfully their great failing was losing so many once score games. I will say this with Lamar eventually wear and tear is going to happen which will slow down some of his dynamic ability. They have to let him pass more and utilize that piece of his skillset if he is going to be an elite player 10 years from now. He is going to get a big money deal though and the Ravens and their fans will feel good about what they had regardless of this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Guys play hurt all the time, often with whatever relief modern medicine can offer.  Guys try to play injured too, and then play like crap and it hurts their team and their reputation.  It's almost no win for them.  Try and fail and you suck, don't try and the team loses then you were weak, not tough enough, slacking, selfish or whatever.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

This is a dome thread

Umm you aren’t an nfl player.

appreciate the insight tho. I don’t think Lamar has had surgery yet.

If dismissing anyone who isn’t an nfl player with the same injury - what discussion were you hoping to start here? 

My favorite athlete of all time, Rickey Henderson, once put it this way.  When you have a Ferrari you don't go out driving it, pushing it when it needs some sort of maintenance/repair.  You put it in the garage until its 100% ready to go.  (Speaking of himself and a DL stint with a tweaked hamstring).  Much like Rickey, Lamar is dependent on that freakish athletic ability, you don't put him out there when he's not 100% and can cause further damage.  He is an ineffective pocket restricted passer.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

So we all know the Ravens were extremely unlucky IRT injuries this year. Still, despite being extremely banged up, this team was at one point one seed 2/3rds of the way through the season.

they lost their final 6 to miss the postseason, 4 of those with LJ out with injury. Lamar’s injury? A bone bruise.

So Lamar sits for their last 4, basically dooming a team that was 8-5, because he couldn’t play on a bone bruise? I get it, it was probably extremely painful, they probably weren’t going to go deep into the postseason but still.

If it were Baker Mayfield who was in a similar situation, I think the media crushes him. Even if it was Aaron Rodgers, I think it’s a major topic. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone in the media even ask the question, was Lamar truly that hurt that they had to roll with “one read” Huntley and ruin their whole season?

If I was a Ravens fan, I’d be kinda pissed. If I was a Ravens player, I’d be probably pretty annoyed. A lot of guys are banged up near the end of the year. Lamar with four weeks off couldn’t give it a go against the Steelers in a must win game? Even at 70%, wouldn’t he give them their best chance to win? 

You forgot to mention that the Ravens forbid the media (allegedly) from videoing Lamar throwing to his receivers this post off season as well.

https://www.awesemo.com/sideaction/baltimore-ravens-reportedly-ban-media-from-filming-lamar-jackson-throwing-ball/

9 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

A bone bruise cannot be trivialized. One cannot just take pain medicine and ignore the symptoms. Despite Roethlisberger’s ironman reputation, he can’t just play through it. Edema or swelling in the bone can lead to complications and articular cartilage loss if not careful. What is a bone bruise? It is not a simple contusion that is treated with ice and managed symptomatically. A deep bone bruise is essentially a microscopic fracture, much like a ligament sprain is a microscopic tear. I am not suggesting it is a true fracture that needs surgery or casting, but there is compromise to the integrity of the bone in order to get the swelling/fluid inside the bone. Think of the bones of the knee being covered by articular cartilage like the dirt of the football field has grass on top. When an elephant stomps on the grass, the dirt underneath can be damaged/compressed. In order to allow the grass (articular cartilage) the best chance to rejuvenate and heal, you can’t keep playing football on it. The “keep off the grass” sign allows a chance to heal. Last year, Broncos LB Danny Trevathan was placed on short-term IR for a bone bruise. As a result of recurrent injury, he needed offseason surgery. I am not suggesting this will happen to Roethlisberger, but the top Steelers medical staff will have this in mind as they allow their QB to return to play

per dr david chao

We had a friend who was a pediatric neuro-radiologist who helped us when our son was injured in high school sports. He explained that “on a scale of 1-10, if a bad bone bruise is a 5,  a break is 5.5. They are almost the same thing.”  It’s not just a little leg boo-boo. 

This just went to show how dependent they are on an individual player. I hope we don’t find out how dependent we are upon our QB. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Team was in disarray with all those injuries to running backs.  They are a running team.  I think the negotiations were and are weird because he doesn't have an agent.  Lamar is electric but his style is not one of longevity.  I dont know where you find better.  I think you resign him.  Probably have to.  

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't think the OP is questioning Lamar (although the wording of the post is a bit confusing in that regard).  I think he's subtly questioning the media's "agenda" which is, among other things, extremely tiresome at this point.  

I somehow manage to be tiresome unintentionally and intentionally. I am the Lamar Jackson of tiresome.

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

That Jackson didn't dress for those games means that the coaching staff made the decision for him.   :doh:

Lamar Jackson is a difference maker and leader on his team almost on a par with Mahomes and Allen.  He's not as good a passer as those two young studs, but he's more than good enough.  He makes a difference to his team in ways that Baker Mayfield doesn't.  Baker's been a big disappointment, and his well publicized injuries are more of an excuse by his fans.   The plain fact is that Lamar has improved significantly as a passer and as a QB since coming into the league while Baker is still making the same mental mistakes in his fourth year that he was making two years ago.   I say that as somebody who was a big Baker Mayfield fan in the 2018 draft.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.