Does anyone think the Lamar Jackson situation this year was strange?

FireChans

well, if he was being soft (doubtful) then you don't want him as your long term big dollar qb.

if he was actually hurt, it raises the specter of him being an injury magnet in the future, which also casts doubt on him being the long term big dollar qb.

all that aside, he was mvp and has been a touch down machine throughout his starting career, and baltimore doesn't have anyone lined up to replace him, has a team built around lamar, and has a pretty solid roster otherwise.  so i think he gets big dollars this offseason, the only question is what protection can they build into the contract?  i think they ink him up w a contract that gives them an out in years 2 or 3.  i don't think he gets less than 40 per year tho.

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

now hold on....is this another lamar Jackson thread?

This is a dome thread

1 hour ago, eball said:

Umm, @FireChans, I had a bone bruise in my ankle (from playing football) and I wound up needing micro fracture surgery.

This thread needs to be closed.

Umm you aren’t an nfl player.

appreciate the insight tho. I don’t think Lamar has had surgery yet.

Edited by FireChans
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I think black QBs who are gifted runners just face less scrutiny from the media than your traditional, semi-mobile, stand in the pocket, white QB.  Its almost like they're given a pass and that doesn't sit right with me.  

Black QB’s have it easy. Thanks for trying to even the playing field 😂

If it was me and I won mvp and had my team looking at the playoffs each season, I might take breather too. 

You see Allen with his fat contract and you’re wondering when you’ll be getting yours. Maybe I’d play on some injuries when I’m sitting on a quarter of a billion. Certainly not  when I’m at the negotiating table. His style of play, he can have his leg snapped in two. Or his play can suffer because of the injury and further hurt negotiations. No good can come or playing right now if you’re Lamar. He’s doing the right thing. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Agree 1

Seems like there are a lot of opinions, but people seem to be short on any detail about the Ravens. 

#1.  The Ravens came into the season with the loss of several free agents and did not backfill them with high quality FA or draft picks.  Their bench started out a weaker than most and  they got devestated by IR. They lost their top 3 running backs,  their top #1 cornerback and two offensive tackles.  They play a man defense and they really need Humphrey to shut down the other teams #1 WR.  He is out. Their WR were weak and the TE (a lot of dump offs) was the top receiver. Not good.

Ravens IR

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

PlayerPositionUpdatedInjuryInjury Status

Justice HillRBTue, Jan 11 AchillesIR. Injured Reserve

Ar'Darius WashingtonSAFTue, Jan 11 FootIR. Injured Reserve

Marcus PetersCBTue, Jan 11 Knee - ACLIR. Injured Reserve

L.J. FortLBTue, Jan 11 Knee - ACLIR. Injured Reserve

Ronnie StanleyOTTue, Jan 11 AnkleIR. Injured Reserve

Gus EdwardsRBTue, Jan 11 Knee - ACLIR. Injured Reserve

Marlon HumphreyCBTue, Jan 11 PectoralIR. Injured Reserve

J.K. DobbinsRBTue, Jan 11 Knee - ACLIR. Injured Reserve

DeShon ElliottFSTue, Jan 11 PectoralIR. Injured Reserve

Xavier KellyDTTue, Jan 11 AchillesIR. Injured Reserve

Ja'Wuan JamesOTTue, Jan 11 AchillesNFI-R for the start of training camp

Patrick RicardFBWed, Jan 12 UndisclosedIR. Injured Reserve

#2  the Ravens were not really a good as their early season 8-5 record might suggest.   They beat the lions and denver. Squeaked by the Colts, got KILLED by the Bengals, squeaked by the Vikings, Bears, and Browns.  The they lost to the DOLPHINS,  Browns and Steelers.  They had lady luck on their side for about 4 of their wins.  I live in the Baltimore area and watch some of their football and read some of their press.  They had lady luck on their side.

#3  Lamar is a fast and shifty runner AND takes off quickly when pressured.  If his mobility is down, he will get creamed big time. He got dinged and was going to be a sitting duck out there.  He is NOT an accurate passer, even from the pocket he throws a lot of balls behind and in front of receivers. He came into the league with poor foot/body technique in his passing, there was a big bullaballo about him cleaning that up- but that only lasted for a little time. He was back to doing weird body arrangement during his throwing and the local press just shut up about it.   His recievers are NOT like Diggs and Beasley, who can find holes in zones and seemly think the same as Allen in getting aligned for a pass.  Jackson also shifts and jumps around a lot in the pocket, but that jitterbugging makes it hard to have a moving passer hit a moving WR.   His WR just run their routes and are pass catchers- the press is always complaining about the poor YAC.

#4  Lamar is up for a new contract.  He doesn't want to get further hurt as this season is in the tank.  The Ravens don't want him to get further hurt and probably don't mind if his fragile condition lowers the amount of his next contract.  The Ravens are getting 3-5 players back next year but have several other holes to fill and have to figure out how to compete with the much improved Bengels and Browns.  Remember that they finished 1-1 against the teams in their division Bengals, Browns and Steelers.

YES there is more going on here than just Lamar's courage.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

So we all know the Ravens were extremely unlucky IRT injuries this year. Still, despite being extremely banged up, this team was at one point one seed 2/3rds of the way through the season.

they lost their final 6 to miss the postseason, 4 of those with LJ out with injury. Lamar’s injury? A bone bruise.

So Lamar sits for their last 4, basically dooming a team that was 8-5, because he couldn’t play on a bone bruise? I get it, it was probably extremely painful, they probably weren’t going to go deep into the postseason but still.

If it were Baker Mayfield who was in a similar situation, I think the media crushes him. Even if it was Aaron Rodgers, I think it’s a major topic. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone in the media even ask the question, was Lamar truly that hurt that they had to roll with “one read” Huntley and ruin their whole season?

If I was a Ravens fan, I’d be kinda pissed. If I was a Ravens player, I’d be probably pretty annoyed. A lot of guys are banged up near the end of the year. Lamar with four weeks off couldn’t give it a go against the Steelers in a must win game? Even at 70%, wouldn’t he give them their best chance to win? 

By any chance were you part of the Washington football teams management when they trotted rg3 out on 1 leg?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

I don’t think Lamar is malingering. If he can’t go, he can’t go. I wouldn’t hold it against him personally. He’s gotta look out for himself, look what happened to Baker. He played hurt and played himself out of a long term deal.

I think there may be more to the story because on its face it seems kinda odd and it seemed to me to not really be discussed. 

If you don't think Lamar is malingering, and you wouldn't hold the fact that he can't play against him personally...

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

So Lamar sits for their last 4, basically dooming a team that was 8-5, because he couldn’t play on a bone bruise? I get it, it was probably extremely painful, they probably weren’t going to go deep into the postseason but still.

If it were Baker Mayfield who was in a similar situation, I think the media crushes him. Even if it was Aaron Rodgers, I think it’s a major topic. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone in the media even ask the question, was Lamar truly that hurt that they had to roll with “one read” Huntley and ruin their whole season?

If I was a Ravens fan, I’d be kinda pissed. If I was a Ravens player, I’d be probably pretty annoyed. A lot of guys are banged up near the end of the year. Lamar with four weeks off couldn’t give it a go against the Steelers in a must win game? Even at 70%, wouldn’t he give them their best chance to win? 

...then why did you start a thread basically accusing him of malingering and holding it against him personally?

Whether or not it was truly just a bone bruise, we saw the videos of him at practice. He was limping pretty badly trying to get through practices. I think they probably just realized this wasn't their year and didn't want to put him at further risk.

11 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

If you don't think Lamar is malingering, and you wouldn't hold the fact that he can't play against him personally...

...then why did you start a thread basically accusing him of malingering and holding it against him personally?

I said if I was a Ravens fan or player. I’m neither of those things. I swear, I’m not Marlon Humphrey. 

I do wonder the extent of his injury, because there’s basically no details. That’s why it’s strange. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is a dome thread

Umm you aren’t an nfl player.

appreciate the insight tho. I don’t think Lamar has had surgery yet.

Don't be obtuse.  The point is that "bone bruise" does not equal "minor injury."  You starting a thread to question Lamar's toughness or desire to play wasn't the best use of your (or our) time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Having had a bad bone bruise in my soccer career I know it is no trivial matter. 

I am sure if there was a way to get him out there Baltimore would have got him out there. I wonder a bit if Harbaugh looked around and thought "down both starting tackles, down both starting corners, down all 3 running backs, no point risking Lamar long term here for a team that is going to be 1 and done even if we get in"

This is pretty much where I am.  If the Ravens were down Lamar and otherwise full-strength, if Lamar could go, he'd have played.  But the Ravens were hit by the injury bug in historical fashion.  Risking long-term injury for an unlikely playoff run would have been a bad decision.

Plus, I think a 100% Huntley is better than a 60% Jackson, anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.