Wouldn’t it be awesome if Belichick retired?

eball

10 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

The stats of the two rookie seasons are a foolish comparison. The Bills were in full rebuild. You can argue the Pats are average. People who want to use rookie year comparisons of the two are not watching the games. Mac is close to ceiling.. that’s why he got early consideration for the niners. He’s at best a less handsome Jimmy G. 

How do you know he's close to his ceiling after a season?

Did you think, on week 1 that they would be challenging the Bills for the Division title right up to the end of the season and would face the Bills in the playoffs?

Do you also think BB should dump him and move on (the topic I was responding to)?

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He is not going to dump him.....that is the whole point.  You will never win a super bowl when you have to cover up your average armed QB

By the way....Mac Jones and Brady were not comparable as rookies if that is what you are getting at.......Brady was pin point accurate coming out the gate....Mac Jones is afraid to throw the ball down the field and when he does he throws high balls and a lot of almost interceptions (to go along with the interceptions)

BB won 3 early in Brady's career.

"right out of the gate", Brady: 2843 yards, 64% 12 ints (2.9%).  Jones 3801 68% 13 ints (2.5%)

He already said he will be back next year. Maybe listen to his press conference at the end of the year before starting a silly thread about something be already said he wouldn't be doing??

Edited by Big Turk

7 hours ago, chris heff said:

Come on man, do you really think Mac Jones is anything? Do you really think Mac Jones will have the same trajectory as Josh Allen? And McD is not pushing 70.

No one is arguing that.  The topic being discussed is if, after one 10 win season/playoff season, should BB move on from his rookie QB.

13 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

If memory serves, we've beat him 4 of the past 5 times.

He's not the bogeyman anymore.   He's just a coach - a good coach - but not one that I fear or much care about.

He can retire or not retire.  It's all the same to me.  

He is considered the GOAT HC but his record without Brady isn't all that great. Brady is the real bogeyman to the Bills not Belichick. It would be nice if the Bills can take care of that business on Super Bowl Sunday.

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No one is arguing that.  The topic being discussed is if, after one 10 win season/playoff season, should BB move on from his rookie QB.

That’s not the topic being discussed, the title is “Wouldn’t it be awesome if Belichick retires”.

12 hours ago, Rubes said:

The media? Belichick?? Who in their right mind would hire this guy? All he'd do is sit there, scowl, and give one word responses as a color commentator.

He has all the personality of a mouldy, rotting vegetable.

He definitely is like that with reporter pools.  But if you see him in other venues away from being asked about Patriots football it really is night and day.  At least on the NFL Specials or Interviews when he pops up.

Media I feel are the the ultimate romanticizers/mythologizers

if a A player scores a touchdown or makes a good play, according to the MEDIA, it’s not just a touchdown or a good play it has to mean something more.  it means that he’s become more of a man or he’s dug deeper or he’s fighting for the Honor of his team and his town.

but Bellichick is the ultimate realist IMO.  A good play to him is, “yeah…he executed well.”  That’s it.  Because there is always the next play and what you did before doesn’t mean it will happen again no matter how rosy you paint it.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

scroll up

I don’t need to scroll up, the topic is about Belichick retiring, some posters took the discussion in the direction of moving on from Mac Jones. It is possible that Mac Jones becomes a great QB, next season the Patriots win 12 games and go deep into the playoffs. However it is also possible that Mac Jones turns out to be a weak armed game manager and the Patriots go 7-10 missing the playoffs. If it is the latter could you not see a scenario where Belichick retires? And wouldn’t that be “awesome”.

Personally, I would hate to see Bill Belichick retire until another 3-4 years from now. The way he has built his team as a GM is purgatory-land.

I have no doubt he’ll be a mediocre coach for the next several years and I would love to see that proven out right in front of everyone. 

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

He is considered the GOAT HC but his record without Brady isn't all that great. Brady is the real bogeyman to the Bills not Belichick. It would be nice if the Bills can take care of that business on Super Bowl Sunday.

Don't disagree about Brady.   It would be amazing to see the Bills beat the Bucs in the Super Bowl and dispense with all their bogeymen.

But I wouldn't be so dismissive about Belichick.  Bill Walsh didn't win a lot of games his first couple years with the 49ers.   Vince Lombardi didn't light up the world after he left Green Bay.   Even good coaches need good players.    You can fault Belichick the GM, but Belichick the Coach is still pretty talented.  Just getting this year's Pats to the playoffs was an accomplishment.  

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Six.  Let's not give more credit than we need to give credit to Bill Belichick.  

I'd like to see him retire because he took an average team talent wise to the playoffs.  We might also lose Daboll who knows Belichick more than most offensive coordinators.  I'm much more apathetic though compared to if this question was proposed two years ago.

2 for Shula

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How do you know he's close to his ceiling after a season?

Did you think, on week 1 that they would be challenging the Bills for the Division title right up to the end of the season and would face the Bills in the playoffs?

Do you also think BB should dump him and move on (the topic I was responding to)?

BB won 3 early in Brady's career.

"right out of the gate", Brady: 2843 yards, 64% 12 ints (2.9%).  Jones 3801 68% 13 ints (2.5%)

If you cant see from the jump that Mac Jones isnt Tom Brady I dont know what to tell you.   There was something different about Tom (unfortunately) from the time he stepped onto the field.

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If you cant see from the jump that Mac Jones isnt Tom Brady I dont know what to tell you.   There was something different about Tom (unfortunately) from the time he stepped onto the field.

High balls?  Lot/high rate  of interceptions?  Who's rookie year are you talking about now?

I was comparing Josh's and Jones's rookie seasons based on expectations and actual results.  The Bills were a 9-7 playoff drought ending team before McD blew it all up and Allen came on board.  Allen wasn't drafted as some down the road prospect.  His results were not initially encouraging and any claim that was a consensus even on this board that he would become what he has in 2 more years is a laughable fabrication.  Revisionist history.

No one expected NE to make it to the playoffs with some kid with less than two seasons of college QB'ing (at Bama, no less) or was going to be the best QB of his draft his rookie year.  Certainly you did not. 

Then you objected to my comparison to Brady's first starting season.  Specifically, you said:

"Brady was pin point accurate coming out the gate....Mac Jones is afraid to throw the ball down the field and when he does he throws high balls and a lot of almost interceptions (to go along with the interceptions)"

And all of those claims are easily proven false, as I noted.  And you claim now that, 21 years ago, you knew there was "something special about Brady", then next you will tell us that you bought Netflix when it was 71 cents a share.

Not credible.

18 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

who had a better rookie season, Jones or Josh?

What if McD had decided Josh "wasn't the answer" after a season?

First off Josh had zero to work with his rookie season. It was pretty much just him and him only. Yes he made a ***** ton of mistakes but there was a lot of upside and promise that was shown during his rookie year. There’s really no upside in Mac’s game. What you see is what you get with Mac, a Jay Fiedler type of game manager. 

I think he has 2-3 more years tops. The day after a loss talking to the media he looks like a bus hit him. The stress and anxiety can't be good, he's almost 70. I'm sure he'll stay on in the FO as an "advisor" but I don't expect much more of him on the sidelines. They'll promote Patricia or McDaniels.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Look weo Everyone knows that you’re a closet patriot fan here if you look at Mac Jones and you think that he’s Tom Brady all I can say is LOL and enjoy the ride

There's the John from Riverside white flag retreat!

My points weren't complicated.  If you can't make a cogent argument then by all means stop mischaracterizing mine.  lol  "you think he's Tom Brady".  yeah, that's what I said!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.