Wouldn’t it be awesome if Belichick retired?

eball

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

If memory serves, we've beat him 4 of the past 5 times.

He's not the bogeyman anymore.   He's just a coach - a good coach - but not one that I fear or much care about.

He can retire or not retire.  It's all the same to me.  

....and if not for 40mph winds it would've been 5 times.

15 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

If memory serves, we've beat him 4 of the past 5 times.

He's not the bogeyman anymore.   He's just a coach - a good coach - but not one that I fear or much care about.

He can retire or not retire.  It's all the same to me.  

Pretty bad gm though and he’ll retire before Kraft brings in additional football guys.  Spent all his capital building titans-lite.  An outdated scheme that requires an absolute generational talent at rb. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Belichick will coach a minimum of four more years. He's 38 wins behind Shula for #1 all time. He will do it out of spite. 

When Bill Belichick recently changed his mind about his coaching timeline, it leads you to wonder what possibly can motivate the man that has done it all. Perhaps his disdain for Don Shula is the key to Belichick’s future as the Patriots head coach. Shula famously coined the phrase “Beli-cheat” to describe his feelings about the Patriots head coach, and I am sure that doesn’t sit well with Belichick. Spite is a powerful motivator, and with Don Shula’s wins record now in site, Belichick may want to knock Shula down in the record books more than ever.

During an appearance on WEEI’s Ordway, Merloni & Fauria Show, Belichick was asked about a statement he once made about how long he plans to coach. Back in 2009 during his segment of “A Football Life” documentary , Belichick said, “I won’t be like Marv Levy and coaching in my 70s, I know that.”

Well, his 70s are only a few years away at this point. So, is it still true?

“When I said it, maybe I didn’t know what 70 felt like,” Belichick told WEEI. “So not really sure if that’s an accurate statement.”

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

It would mean the Bills ended the careers of two of the greatest ever (Shula and BB) in humiliating fashion. 

I would enjoy that. 

The Bills also did a good job on Joe Gibbs, too.  "Can I call a time out?"

• Haha (+1) 1

Hope he does not stick around too much longer.  It would be nice if he still had some juice left to be around the league or media in some capacity.

Not sure there is a head coach who has a love for the history of football or the sport itself more than Bellichick.

Has to be some sort of way he can pass all that knowledge on or in some way.  Primetime/Game Day Specials or what not.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

who had a better rookie season, Jones or Josh?

What if McD had decided Josh "wasn't the answer" after a season?

WEO,

Sometimes I do wonder if you are straight trolling or this much of a horses ass

Josh Allen - Green coming in......arm talent incredible....needed to sit behind a vet for a year but didnt.....you saw glimpses in his rookie year that he could be the best player on the field.  Upside potential through the roof

Mac Jones....average arm at BEST....came from College powerhouse......covered up all year by a running game and a defense.   Fear is his upside is limited.

THESE TWO PLAYERS ARE NOT COMPARABLE.

NOW....putting that aside.   BB has won his rings and is old at this point.....McD is young and has something to prove.    Maybe BB doesnt want to go through a rebiuld at his age.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Belichick's ego won't let him quit because he's only third on the list of winningest NFL coaches:

Don Shula - 328 wins. 
George Halas - 318.
Bill Belichick - 280 wins. 

However, if he keeps stumbling in the playoffs, Robert Kraft will probably make the decision for Belichick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

WEO,

Sometimes I do wonder if you are straight trolling or this much of a horses ass

Josh Allen - Green coming in......arm talent incredible....needed to sit behind a vet for a year but didnt.....you saw glimpses in his rookie year that he could be the best player on the field.  Upside potential through the roof

Mac Jones....average arm at BEST....came from College powerhouse......covered up all year by a running game and a defense.   Fear is his upside is limited.

THESE TWO PLAYERS ARE NOT COMPARABLE.

NOW....putting that aside.   BB has won his rings and is old at this point.....McD is young and has something to prove.    Maybe BB doesnt want to go through a rebiuld at his age.

I can't tell if you are truly missing the point or just pretending to.

What was Brady's arm strength coming from a college powerhouse? Mac Jones level, I would think.  

Armstrength?  You mean like Jamarcus Russel (Josh was his comp by Mayockin 2018)? 

JA was pretty bad his rookie year.  His arm strength hasn't made him a steadily better player (many argue hear he often throws the ball too hard too often).

Anyway, it's hard to fathom BB would, after a season,  think to dump a kid with relatively little starting experience in college who led the team to 10 wins, was 13th in yards, 8th in completion % after a season.  

That makes little sense.  Don't you agree?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.