Who will guard Travis Kelce??

Special K

4 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Edmunds lol.

Bracketing Kelce with Edmunds and a db isn’t the worst idea…. Jam him at the line and stick him between Milano/Edmunds and Johnson/Neal could work well. Particularly if they jam him at the LOS and treat Kelce like a blocker within 5 yards.  

1 hour ago, Paul Costa said:

Will be a group effort. Need to muddle rush Mahomes much more than Pittsburgh. They let him outside way too much. He slaughtered them once leaving the pocket 

Groot and Epenesa will help with this. Their length/height created issues for him scrambling outside and hitting dump offs/screens outside. 

13 hours ago, muppy said:

putting Edmunds soley on Kelce scares me...........how effective would that be...*cringe* I dunno.............I could be wrong it would be awesome if he could somehow pull it off....Kelce is one of those players he's gonna get his yards one way or the other...the key for me is pressure on Mahomes and limit the damage by dominating the trenches and harassing mahomes as Much as possible.

m

Trust me, when I suggested this I cringed too. I just don't see anyone else on this team who compares in size and speed.  If you don't jam him at the line, it won't matter who covers him.  Maybe Josh can cover him?

• Haha (+1) 2

Kelce will make some plays. The key in this game will be the same as the game earlier this year: Limit his YAC. Not just Kelce, but all the receivers. Mahomes was 1st in the NFL in YAC this year with 2699 Yds (56% of his total passing yards). If the Bills can keep the receivers in front of them and limit YAC, then I think they win.

I think this matters much less on the Bills' side. Allen was 17th in the NFL this year in YAC with 1743 Yds (39% of his total passing yards).

FWIW, Brady, Burrow, Rodgers, Stafford, Prescott, Garoppolo, and Roethlisberger were all in the top 10 in YAC. Only Brady and Stafford threw for more yds prior to YAC than Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Kelce       6-5, 255, 4.61 (40)

Edmunds  6-5, 253, 4.54 (40)

If Tremaine is such a world class coverage linebacker, then let him be the hero by playing TK man all day. Chuck him at the line.

dunno if Tremaine is world class man to man tho.   hes more of a zone guy imo.     will help whoever is covering Kelce alot if they,   CHIP him on every friggen play.  boggles my mind when i see teams let top end pass catching TEs just run free off the line.   Gronk has made a living offa it for years.   recievers hate being chipped.

45 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Kelce will make some plays. The key in this game will be the same as the game earlier this year: Limit his YAC. Not just Kelce, but all the receivers. Mahomes was 1st in the NFL in YAC this year with 2699 Yds (56% of his total passing yards). If the Bills can keep the receivers in front of them and limit YAC, then I think they win.

I think this matters much less on the Bills' side. Allen was 17th in the NFL this year in YAC with 1743 Yds (39% of his total passing yards).

FWIW, Brady, Burrow, Rodgers, Stafford, Prescott, Garoppolo, and Roethlisberger were all in the top 10 in YAC. Only Brady and Stafford threw for more yds prior to YAC than Allen.

It would be nice for the Bills to pick up a few speed guys at WR who can generate more after the catch. We are always doing it the hard way.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

dunno if Tremaine is world class man to man tho.   hes more of a zone guy imo.     will help whoever is covering Kelce alot if they,   CHIP him on every friggen play.  boggles my mind when i see teams let top end pass catching TEs just run free off the line.   Gronk has made a living offa it for years.   recievers hate being chipped.

The "world class" was tongue in cheek. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

It would be nice for the Bills to pick up a few speed guys at WR who can generate more after the catch. We are always doing it the hard way.

Unfortunately guys like Stefon and Cole seem to go down quickly after the catch. Regardless of who covers Kelce, first its imperative to jam him at the LOS. Then keep him in front of you with support. It's when he's galloping across the center of the field that kills you. Be prepared for those stupid shovel passes inside the 10.

• Like (+1) 1

Ive mentioned this in training camp, but Tremaine needed to study guarding Kelce atleast two hours per day. He's the only one on the team with the size and speed to keep up with him. If he studied his routes and tendencies and covered him 1 on 1, then tremaine could be worth something to this team.

Just now, GETTOTHE50 said:

Ive mentioned this in training camp, but Tremaine needed to study guarding Kelce atleast two hours per day. He's the only one on the team with the size and speed to keep up with him. If he studied his routes and tendencies and covered him 1 on 1, then tremaine could be worth something to this team.

It’s not happening. Edmunds doesn’t have the instincts necessary to do so. I actually made it a priority to watch him specifically on defensive plays. He often stays flat footed and makes poor coverage choices. One play he went out to the flat to guard somebody that was nearly inconsequential to the developing play. He makes tackles to far off the LOS. Rarely do you ever see him stick someone for a short gain. 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s not happening. Edmunds doesn’t have the instincts necessary to do so. I actually made it a priority to watch him specifically on defensive plays. He often stays flat footed and makes poor coverage choices. One play he went out to the flat to guard somebody that was nearly inconsequential to the developing play. He makes tackles to far off the LOS. Rarely do you ever see him stick someone for a short gain. 

100%. Im just trying to find a way to make Tremaine useful and successful, and I think preparing everyday for Kelce would have helped him succeed to today.

But I agree, he sucks.

4 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

100%. Im just trying to find a way to make Tremaine useful and successful, and I think preparing everyday for Kelce would have helped him succeed to today.

But I agree, he sucks.

I know you are trying, but at the end of the day he sucks. I can sit here and study quantum mechanics for 2 hours a day, and by the end of the year, I’m still not going to be able to do it. We need to start drafting better LBs with instincts and speed. Otherwise we will not be able to beat teams like the Chiefs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.