According to some of these guys, it’s Allen‘s time to shine against Mahomes

BillsFan619

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

One player doesnt make a Defense.  Sorry.  Yes they made changes, just like ours changed with No Tre.  

But the Fact of the matter is Allen has done it against this defense this year.  

Perhaps so, but one player can break a defense. To me that player for the Chiefs is Daniel Sorensen. I would do whatever possible to get him matched up in coverage. And exploit that over and over. I think McKenzie could brutalize him with mid range crosses. Additionally Davis, Sanders and Diggs on the post corner routes should have plenty of room. Additionally when he is in zone, he loses track of players when QBs leave the pocket. 

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

I heard someone say this, and i agree.  Josh Allen has a history of a flub or two after an elite game.  Mahomes has shown he can string together some elite performances for a few games in a row.  It's not all on the QB, but that's the difference for the moment.  That can all change this weekend,,,   But Josh will likely need to string together 4 darn good games in a row to win the SB.

I keep hearing this theory/rumor that Josh can't put together back-to-back good games, he lacks consistency, etc.

Last season, the Bills won their last six games and then two playoff games in a row. So, they won eight games in a row. Only one of those eight games (the bad weather playoff game vs. Baltimore) did the Bills score less than 26 points. That stretch included games of 56, 48, 38, 34, 27, 27, 26, and 17 (vs. the Ravens).

Here is a six-game stretch (in a row) of stats from Josh last year (last 5 regular season games and WC playoff game)

Pass Yds       Rush Yds     TDs      INTs     Points/Game score

375                11              4            0           34-24

238                28             2            1            26-15

359                33             4            0           48-19

320                35             4            0           38-9

224                3               3            1            56-26

324                54             3            0           27-24

I don't know 392 total yards with 4 TDs and no picks followed up by 355 total yards with 4 TDs and no picks seems like two pretty good back-to-back games to me. There wasn't a lack of consistency down the stretch last year.

I think media heads (and now some fans) are taking the up-and-down year that the Bills as a team have had in 2021 and putting that all on Josh. Then just looking at the recent Atlanta/Carolina games and putting two-and-two together, but unfortunately coming up with the wrong answer.

If you look at just that stretch: Tampa (great Josh in 2nd half), Carolina (bad Josh), 2nd NE game (great Josh), Atlanta (bad Josh). So, yes, over that 4-game stretch, Josh was up-and-down/inconsistent. But when you weigh in the full season (and Josh's career as a whole), those are two bad games, not some overall pattern that defines Josh. Are you telling me that Rodgers, Mahomes, even Brady hasn't ever had a 2 bad games in a 4 game stretch in their careers? Does that mean they are overall inconsistent? People are still just grasping at straws to prove to themselves that Josh isn't really that good (because they originally thought he'd be trash).

And as to the overall ups and downs of the Bills season, they are never looking at context. They are not weighing in the offensive line issues all season until late, the team having to find its new identity, everyone gunning for us this year, defenses catching up to what we did last year, etc., etc. Did not Patrick Mahomes go through many of the same issues earlier this year as well? This year's Bills team had trouble stringing wins together at points this year, but it wasn't always and solely because Josh was having a bad game. And, having said that, the Bills and Josh still strung together 4 big games in a row early this season and now five games in a row to get to where they are now (even though there were a couple of down passing games for Josh in this last stretch).

In the early-season stretch, the Bills scored 35, 43, 40, 38. Josh had games of 367 yds 5 TD no INTs; 289 yds 2 TDs 1 INT; 374 yds 4 TDs no INTs; and followed that up with a 379 yds 3 TDs 1 INT performance in the loss to the Titans (but I guess because it's a loss, it doesn't count and means Josh is inconsistent).

This year (2021-2022):

How many games was Josh's pass % under 65%= 8 games; how about Pat Mahomes? 8 games under 65% pass%

How many games did each throw for under 260 yards? Josh 9 times, Pat 8 times

How many games did each throw for less than 200 yards? Josh 3 times, Pat twice

How many games were they held without a TD? Josh once; Pat twice

How many games did they have 2 or less TDs? Josh 9 games; Pat 10 games

And let's also weigh in that Josh's worst passing game (vs. Atlanta) also included him rushing for 81 yards and 2 TDs for a win. So, even on an off day, we still have a chance with our defense and Josh's legs/competitive nature. Like I said, pundits are just grasping at straws. I think the inconsistent Josh is a fallacious argument based on looking at one small stretch of games.

One last comparison, here is a stretch of games for Patrick Mahomes from earlier this season. Couldn't you, looking at only those games, say Mahomes is inconsistent and can't put together back-to-back good games?

@WAS 397 yds 2 TD 2INT

@TEN  206 yds 0 TD 1 INT

NYG     275 yds 1 TD 1 INT

GNB    166 yds 1 TD 0 INT

@LVR  406 yds 5 TDs 0 INT

DAL     260 yds  0 TD 1 INT

DEN    184 yds  1 TD 1 INT

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen will never be accurate…

Allen wont win in the pocket….

Allen cant hit a deep ball…..

Allen will never be elite…..

Now Allen isnt consistent.  Meaning he isnt the most consistent qb in history.  I think the stats show he is just as consistent and prolific as Mahomes.  Allen has to be extra for him to get credit for it.

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

When…..in week 4 without their best player? Yeah, I was at arrowhead. Watched 10 times after the fact.  You’re acting like teams can’t improve during the season.  Meanwhile we had the 2nd best run game in the nfl over the last 4-5 weeks.  While being one of the worst run games in the first half.  Why can’t the chiefs D improve? 

anyway, no reason to continue this.  Agree to disagree.

You forgot the emergence of more reliable targets at WR for Mahomes as well as we don't have Tre this go around either.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You forgot the emergence of more reliable targets at WR for Mahomes as well as we don't have Tre this go around either.

And that.  And Mahomes isn’t turning the ball over like he was in the beginning of the season.  Their rookie OL have been stellar 

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Josh had no issues with that Defense first meeting this year, going over 300 and 3 TDs in the air and adding another on the ground.

And Bills Defense  held Mahomes Sub 300 and 2 TDs and 2 Picks

Both of the defense’s are different now ,  KC is playing much better now then they did in week 5 , and lets not forget we don’t have Tre and even with that said I still believe our defense is better , 

Lets hope Josh Allen saved his best performances  for the playoffs/ SB 

GO BILLS BABY !!!!

11 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Allen certaily has an opportunity. Playing with a bit more consistency is about the last thing he needs to prove.

Mahomes has had consistency issues as well this season.

This is the game that Josh need to win to shut all the haters !!! 
GO BILLS BABY !!!! 

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

I think we should all be able to admit that - until proven otherwise - Allen has the highest ceiling of any QB in the league.  However, Mahomes has built up the trust factor.  

When people say "I know Mahomes will show up... will Allen?".. I don't think that's an unfair question to ask.  

That changes Sunday if Buffalo wins.  

It's up to Allen to outduel Mahomes and/or our Defense to remove the "outlier" label from what Tampa Bay did to him last year.  

Most of Josh's "bad" games have either been in bad weather or behind a porous line.  Or both.

If our OL is plays well against the Chiefs - like they did against the Pats - Josh is going to put up a lot of points.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

Both of the defense’s are different now ,  KC is playing much better now then they did in week 5 , and lets not forget we don’t have Tre and even with that said I still believe our defense is better , 

Lets hope Josh Allen saved his best performances  for the playoffs/ SB 

GO BILLS BABY !!!!

Our running game is much better and importantly much more patient then it was in week 5.  The O-line has been reworked and we're now using a 6th O lineman a lot of times.  Finally Allen will take the check down if necessary in a way he wasn't earlier in the season.

One of them is doing it with the best TE ever and one of the best WRs of the last decade and one of the best offensive minds ever.  

Allen has a higher ceiling that hasn't played with the best supporting cast he'll play with - all due respect to how good our group is no doubt.   

Edited by Big Blitz

8 hours ago, Rampage said:

The Chiefs defense has been lights out the second half of the season. Two totally different defense at this point in the season.

The chargers almost beat them, if their coach wasn't an idiot they would have. The Bengals moved the ball without issue and Denver with Lock moved the ball just fine. I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying the defense is playing so well.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

We'll have to agree to disagree here.  Jones is a handful but ALL 4 Bills WR's were playing hurt.  Allen's mobility can at least partially compensate for Jones but if his WR's can't separate things can deteriorate fast. As an aside did Jones lay against Cincy?  If he did the Bengal's were able to deal with it and that's with Spain at guard.

One last point, the Bills running game really is a lot better then it was in last seasons championship game.  If the Bills are patient and stick with their running game it will pay dividends against an aggressive D-lineman like Jones.

Not to mention eat clock and keep the D rested. Run game and short quick passes for the win!

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

It’s a two minute video, so it’s short but sweet. Even the guy that picked Mahomes said that Allen has a higher ceiling, he just doesn’t do it as consistently.

I really do believe that Allen vs. Mahomes is most likely the new Brady vs. Manning rivalry. My hope is that Allen is the one that has more success over the long haul. Hopefully it starts this weekend. Go Bills!

Your thoughts not only about this upcoming game but do you think Allen can be the one that has more success vs. Mahomes over the long term?

Edit - For some reason, it won’t let me direct link to the video. Click on the link below and then find the video called “Allen or Mahomes: who will Carry their team to the AFC championship game?”.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills

Josh doesn't play against Mahommes. He plays against the KC defense.  In fact, Josh and Pat are never on the field of play at the same time.

I hope the BILLS have a long stretch of winning games vs KC.

8 hours ago, NickelCity said:

This game comes down to the Bills defense imo. 

Disagree.

The KC offense is back and flying as high as ever.  They are going to score their points.

We will beat them by scoring MORE.

The defense ain't gonna get it done.  KC is almost unstoppable when on their game.

It has to be Allen and the offense.

We win this game by outscoring them, maybe 35-31 or something like that.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.