2022 Offensive Coordinator Search

wakingfane

Looks like Daboll will be hired as a head coach in mid February... How do you think we will replace him? I don't think Ken Dorsey should be handed the job without a series of serious interviews with other candidates.  Assuming we are sticking with the Erhardt Perkins system that narrows our options. 

Can we inventory the current E-P offenses in the league? Did Brady bring it to Tampa Bay? Of all the playoff teams, I feel like they most closely resemble our offense. Did New England still run an E-P system this year? It sure didn't look like a very advanced one if so...

• Dislike 1

I listed the E-P teams in the bumped Daboll to LA thread from last year.... basically this year the core E-P teams were:

Buffalo, Indianapolis, New England, LAC, New Orleans, Carolina, Houston, Tampa and (to some extent) Philadelphia. 

I think it will be Dorsey but the external name I've thrown in the mix previously if they are looking for an E-P guy from outside the building is Sean Ryan. He spent 2021 as the Quarterbacks coach in Carolina - that's not a ringing endorsement I hear you say - and that's true. But he was a well regarded receivers coach in New York when OBJ was a rookie and then went to Houston where he was Deshaun Watson's Quarterbacks coach his first two years. After being passed over for the OC job he left to and be Matt Stafford's QB coach in Detroit before being cleaned out when Patricia's staff was fired. His star maybe isn't shining as bright as it was a couple of years ago but he is a good coach has worked exclusively with teams running the E-P. 

It really does depend on whether McDermott is wedded to retaining the scheme though. I have said before he first tried to hire Mike McCoy (Air Coryell), then hired Rick Dennison (Stretch zone version of the WCO), then fired him and went to Brian Daboll (E-P). That suggests to me that McDermott is more about finding a good coach rather that a specific scheme but since 2018 Josh has learned and mastered this system. Common sense would say you keep much of it the same to me. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Let's worry about that when the time comes as we will have all off-season to discuss that.

For now?

Lets worry about crushing the chiefs on Sunday 💪

I was assuming that fan discussion doesn't affect the ability of the players, cosmically or otherwise... Players, positional coaches and coordinators shouldn't be thinking about this, head coach shouldn't spend more than 0.5% of his time on it this week... But with all that said... someone in the organization has the job of gathering information and being prepared for the moment when this decision actually needs to be made. That's what's made this group successful: short term and long term thinking; chewing and walking gum... Err, I mean

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, wakingfane said:

I was assuming that fan discussion doesn't affect the ability of the players, cosmically or otherwise... Players, positional coaches and coordinators shouldn't be thinking about this, head coach shouldn't spend more than 0.5% of his time on it this week... But with all that said... someone in the organization has the job of gathering information and being prepared for the moment when this decision actually needs to be made. That's what's made this group successful: short term and long term thinking; chewing and walking gum... Err, I mean

Guarantee you that the Head Coach and the GM and Assistant GM have talked about this at some point in the last month. Any good front office worth its salt will have lists of candidates for DC and OC live at any time. Guys with experience in running the systems they run, guys who run systems they admire etc. A view on their own internal guys and who could be capable of stepping up. For now McDermott's focus will be the game but Brandon Beane and Joe Schoen will be thinking about their options, trying to work out who will or won't get fired on other staffs, speaking to coaches they might like to bring in here (even for a position coach role) and saying "don't commit yourself to anything yet we are still interested when our season is over etc". That is just how this time of year works. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think they will promote Ken Dorsey. He will probably keep a lot of the schemes that they run now which is good for Allen. Josh can basically run the offense in his sleep at this point. Brady said that one of the main reasons he was so successful is because they ran the same offense year after year in NE. I am sure Dorsey might add a few concepts to it but don't overhaul it to where they have to learn a new offense. 17 is obviously comfortable with what they are doing.

• Like (+1) 2

When you're successful, there are many advantages to continuity, so Dorsey seems like the obvious choice.  He knows the scheme & plays.  He knows Josh.

But I know so little about Dorsey, or any other option, that I won't hazard a guess.

Selfishly, I want Daboll to stay.   The offense is reaching new heights under his stewardship.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Guarantee you that the Head Coach and the GM and Assistant GM have talked about this at some point in the last month. Any good front office worth its salt will have lists of candidates for DC and OC live at any time. Guys with experience in running the systems they run, guys who run systems they admire etc. A view on their own internal guys and who could be capable of stepping up. For now McDermott's focus will be the game but Brandon Beane and Joe Schoen will be thinking about their options, trying to work out who will or won't get fired on other staffs, speaking to coaches they might like to bring in here (even for a position coach role) and saying "don't commit yourself to anything yet we are still interested when our season is over etc". That is just how this time of year works. 

Yep.  It's called "succession planning."  Good organizations do this.  Beane and McD already have their Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C all worked out.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Kliff Kingsbury should be available in about 24 hours

I suspect Kliff gets one more crack at it but that was a disappointing effort for a vet team in win now mode. I think I count 10 of their 22 starters over the age of 30 plus Jordan Phillips and DHop who are both 29. 

I think it has to be Dorsey he's got plenty of experience on the field & the side lines he knows the scheme they are using now & can keep what he likes & make improvements with in it & he has a really good working relationship with Josh .

Then there is his past he was involved in taking Cam to a SB & it looks as if he will help Josh get to one too, every assistant has a time to prove they are worthy of a promotion & i think this is Dorsey's time .

Consistency is all part of a team being really good & although small changes or tweaks can be good constant big changes can cause droughts as we well know & have seen in the NFL .

Look at the Browns talent wise they are busting at the seams but because they have changed OC so much it's like they can't get their feet under them so i'm all for giving Dorsey the promotion to keep things relatively calm as far as scheme & coaching change on the Bills side line ! 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I listed the E-P teams in the bumped Daboll to LA thread from last year.... basically this year the core E-P teams were:

Buffalo, Indianapolis, New England, LAC, New Orleans, Carolina, Houston, Tampa and (to some extent) Philadelphia. 

I think it will be Dorsey but the external name I've thrown in the mix previously if they are looking for an E-P guy from outside the building is Sean Ryan. He spent 2021 as the Quarterbacks coach in Carolina - that's not a ringing endorsement I hear you say - and that's true. But he was a well regarded receivers coach in New York when OBJ was a rookie and then went to Houston where he was Deshaun Watson's Quarterbacks coach his first two years. After being passed over for the OC job he left to and be Matt Stafford's QB coach in Detroit before being cleaned out when Patricia's staff was fired. His star maybe isn't shining as bright as it was a couple of years ago but he is a good coach has worked exclusively with teams running the E-P. 

It really does depend on whether McDermott is wedded to retaining the scheme though. I have said before he first tried to hire Mike McCoy (Air Coryell), then hired Rick Dennison (Stretch zone version of the WCO), then fired him and went to Brian Daboll (E-P). That suggests to me that McDermott is more about finding a good coach rather that a specific scheme but since 2018 Josh has learned and mastered this system. Common sense would say you keep much of it the same to me. 

Good thoughts here, I tend to agree.  Wouldn't be surprised at all if Bills promoted Dorsey to OC and then pursued Sean Ryan for a lateral move for Quarterbacks coach. Yes it's a lateral move, but let's face it, unless either (i) Watson is traded to Carolina, or (ii) Sean Ryan is promoted to OC in Carolina, don't think Ryan would pass up the chance to work with Allen and reset his career. Much better gig. Of course, Carolina could try to block that as a lateral hire.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.