OT Whose your biggest disappointment in the NFL this year?

78thealltimegreat

To me, it's the Vikings and the Browns. 

Vikings

They're the vanilla ice cream, the joke you only chuckle at (but ya did chuckle!), the 5.5/10 movie on IMDB, the OK dinner that you paid $30 for...

But for some inexplicable reason there's always this expectation that this year sirloin steak magically becomes prime rib, or Green Lantern becomes The Dark Knight. 

Look, there is a Kirk Cousins in every profession. A guy who is fine, even pretty decent at what he does, but nobody really wants to hire him. Someone always does, because he's fine, and he'll do a fine enough job, but they are never excited about it. He's an almost anonymous "meets expectations" for almost every question, with 1 or 2 "exceeds expectations" on the performance review type guy. OK. Fine. I mean, you're not going to fire him for that. 

When you're hiring, yes, you could do a lot worse, but he always leaves you asking "do we have anyone else?" It's a hire with a sigh. 

Zimmer is exactly the same as a coach. He's fine. Standard NFL coach. Certainly not bad at his job, but the Kirk Cousins of coaches. Middle of the road "meets expectations" type for most questions, with a couple "exceeds." 

If Zimmer and Cousins were a business, their office would be in a plain, nondescript 1970's strip mall, and your grandparents would go there because that's who they always had do their taxes or whatever. It would look like a DMV inside, with its original 1970's decor, complete with dusty plastic plants and soul sucking elevator music. 

Mind you, they aren't going to make any big mistakes or get you in trouble if you hire them. But man, just walking in that door is depressing. And they also aren't going to come up with anything innovative if you're going there for business advice. Buy property young man, they aren't making any more of it. 

Browns

LOL

They are the Vikings if you gave everyone a raise and said "you're Super Bowl contenders now!" As if it could be spoken into existence. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Klaus said:

Colts, at week 15 they were 80% (IIRC) into the playoffs, and even coming into week 18 they held their fate in their own hands, and they came up short. 

- From the Kyler Murray pick 6 last night my favorite comment was "What in the Carson Wentz was he thinking?"

Then you have the Cowboys, they made the playoffs, but this was the year they needed to make a run because of how badly they have managed the cap. So it is a disappointment for how the year ended, but they get to deal with lingering disappointment as they try to figure out how to build a roster with the space they have left. 

Lastly, I am disappointed to see the #1 Chiefs troll back on the forum with his terrible takes. 

Cowboys can save 14 and get value from coopers deal by trading him, and Dak's deal was designed to have the base salary lowered in 2022.  Could probably move tyron smith and get more pick value and another 5m if you need it.  Anthony brown can save 5 million easy, and he sucks anyway.  Zuerlein saves them 2.5. 

The big issue is zeke's contract is a disaster.  They're going to have their work cut out for them with neal, gregory, vander esch, wilson&gallup, schultz and there really isn't a ton of money there to replace them.  

9 minutes ago, Mattymafia said:

It has to be the Browns. People saw them as a top 3 AFC team. 

I wouldn't say the Browns because their QB was hurt so badly that it had a truly negative impact on his play almost the entire season. True disappointments should be teams who didn't have bad luck with injuries. The Vikings are certainly one of those teams. I'd put the Chargers at the top too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.