Josh Allen's Running Ability

Mikie2times

Josh has turned out to be an elite running QB. It's a huge part of his game and has given us some incredible moments over the years with his hurdles and running over defenders.    

I guess the question is, did the Bills know what he was capable of outside of some mobility? This isn't mobility, this is the 2nd best running QB in the NFL. 

Josh ran an unofficial, 4.76 and in college  had 767 yards on 237 carries, a 3.2 average

Lamar had an unofficial 4.34 and in college had 4,132 yards on 655 carries, a 6.3 average 

Would anybody considered passing on Allen if they knew his ability to run was this strong? As far as arm talent, he was a consensus #1 in the draft. We haven't seen a prospect with top arm talent and elite running come out of the draft since Michael Vick. Running ability as a QB seems to be an area that teams don't really miss on in evaluation. It's shocking we have a guy who didn't flash it to this extent until his pro career.

Did anybody really know? Thoughts?

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think they knew he was athletic, but I think Josh himself was surprised he could keep doing it at this level.

I knew he could run with power when at Wyoming but I didn't think his speed would be what it is.

Just going from Wyoming highlights of him when we drafted him. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I first realized it when he totally embarrassed the dolphins just outrunning everyone a few years ago. I remember thinking to myself, “well, at least this kid is fun” as he burned Kiko Alonso up and down the field 

Little did I know he turned out to be electric. 

Am I the only one who always yells “No Josh, what’re you— wait, what, alright!!!!

• Like (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I first realized it when he totally embarrassed the dolphins just outrunning everyone a few years ago. I remember thinking to myself, “well, at least this kid is fun” as he burned Kiko Alonso up and down the field 

Am I the only one who always yells “No Josh, what’re you— wait, what, alright!!!!

A while ago, no.  Now, when I see there is no one on defense passed 10 yards I just say "RUUUUUNNNNNN"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Allen is not "fast for a QB", he is simply fast.  Dude runs away from DLineman like they are standing still and most LB's have issues keeping up with him.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Allen is not "fast for a QB", he is simply fast.  Dude runs away from DLineman like they are standing still and most LB's have issues keeping up with him.

Agreed . I think he would be fast for a tight end. He and Kelce have similar running styles.  Both accelerate fast, seem to have surprising agility to evade defenders and not afraid to run someone over when necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

This year he did it without taking a ton of hits too. He's starting to realize that he can still get big chunks of yards without getting blasted at the end.

It also seems like his timing is elite. He knows how to run up a seam and spin defenders around with a slight change of direction. Different than Lamar in that sense, who can run straight to the defender and then juke him. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't remember any hurdles in college.

But he scrambled alot and made things happen.  Busted his shoulder up pretty good the first game he played at Wyoming trucking a defender.  Then made highlight reals in overtime in 2016 scrambling for the winning td against NIU in the first game of the season.  That game got over at about 2am (mt time) Sunday so our London friend probably missed it.

Edited by BrownNgold
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If you've seen Josh's 40 from the combine, it's clear he had no idea how to run a track sprint. His technique is awful & his arm movement is wacky. I doubt he trained with a running coach.

But running as a QB is different. You have a ball in your hand so your arm movement is more natural, and you don't start from a stance. In that regard, Josh's speed is elite. I have no doubt he could greatly improve his 40 time by working with a track coach, but who cares about that now.

Same reason you see elite sprinters in the league who aren't good football players except when they run a fly route.

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Josh was the rare athlete who was continuing to develop physically well into college and beyond.  His running ability has simply and improbably improved post-college.

That is how I see it, it just couldn't have been missed in this obvious of a way. I see him growing into being even more athletic in the Pro's and then combining that with his competitive nature and a need to survive. I think he just was forced to try it more when he was a rookie and then built a ton of confidence in his ability likely starting with the leap in Minnesota.   

I liked the way his rushing was trending his first three years.  600 500 400….last year he mostly slid and got out of bounds.  I want him to play til 40 and to do that he needs to be carful.  Second half of this year he is full RB mode.  It is effective and in the playoffs in good with it.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Allen2Diggs said:

It was a pleasant surprise in his rookie season considering he wasn't really a dynamic rusher in college. He had 3.2 YPC in college and a 5.5 YPC in the NFL. I don't ever think I've seen a quarterback run as fearlessly as he does.

37 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Josh has turned out to be an elite running QB. It's a huge part of his game and has given us some incredible moments over the years with his hurdles and running over defenders.    

I guess the question is, did the Bills know what he was capable of outside of some mobility? This isn't mobility, this is the 2nd best running QB in the NFL. 

Josh ran an unofficial, 4.76 and in college  had 767 yards on 237 carries, a 3.2 average

Lamar had an unofficial 4.34 and in college had 4,132 yards on 655 carries, a 6.3 average 

Would anybody considered passing on Allen if they knew his ability to run was this strong? As far as arm talent, he was a consensus #1 in the draft. We haven't seen a prospect with top arm talent and elite running come out of the draft since Michael Vick. Running ability as a QB seems to be an area that teams don't really miss on in evaluation. It's shocking we have a guy who didn't flash it to this extent until his pro career.

Did anybody really know? Thoughts?

I would break this down to a few things 

First some players play faster than their 40 time.. the juice and adrenaline of a game hype you up 

Second the offenses that Josh and Lamar Jackson were running were completely different.. Lamar got the benefit from a college offense that ran a spread option 

Josh was also under center a lot more which makes it harder to run effectively... They weren't running standard read options like is typical in college ball 

On the flip side.. Josh Allen's JUCO rushing stats were amazing 

In 8 starts he had 660 yards and 10 TDs  5.5 average

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

FCA709E5-B379-4ECE-ACCC-913B31123116.jpeg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

It was a pleasant surprise in his rookie season considering he wasn't really a dynamic rusher in college. He had 3.2 YPC in college and a 5.5 YPC in the NFL. I don't ever think I've seen a quarterback run as fearlessly as he does.

BS, while his ypc may have been 3.2, he put plenty on tape of his dynamic running ability in college.  Do yourself a favor and watch his highlight videos on YouTube to check for yourself.  Don’t be lazy and assume 3.2 ypc tells the story.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.