The Dallas Cowboys Cycle

Albany,n.y.

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Laugh all you want about Jones and sons but they have accumulated some excellent talent.  I think the issue is that Dallas has hired some sub-standard coaches and held onto them longer than they should.  

They've had this excellent talent for years and every year, they underachieve.  They just are just an above average team.

14 hours ago, Warcodered said:

all they have to do is be the best team in the NFC East and that is such a low bar.

And that's a big takeaway from the Wild Card round. The NFC East is still garbage. The Eagles turned in a truly pathetic performance, and the Cowboys game proved that the 3rd best team in the NFC West (well, in retrospect the 2nd best team in the NFC West) is at a minimum on an even footing with them.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They've had this excellent talent for years and every year, they underachieve.  They just are just an above average team.

This. The only thing in which they continually excel is doing the least with the talent on their roster.

• Agree 1

Jerry Jones has always been the problem which is why it's remarkable they were even able to win 3 championships in the 90's before he ran Jimmy Johnson out of town.

And with rumors swirling he may dump McCarthy after just 2 years and one playoff appearance shows how delusional he really is and not sure who would want that job either.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Jerry Jones has always been the problem

BINGO!!!!

Go read the thread about Beckham and the Browns.  Same story - it's the owner.   Organizations are about leadership, and organizations follow their leader.   I don't know what it is - a lot of people said Ralph was cheap, but Jones isn't cheap.   It's not about the money.  It's about leading and having the wisdom to get the right people in senior management, particularly the GM and HC.  I loved Mr. Wilson, but he didn't have it as an owner.  Ownership changed and the team changed.   

Dallas and Cleveland need better owners.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Laugh all you want about Jones and sons but they have accumulated some excellent talent.  I think the issue is that Dallas has hired some sub-standard coaches and held onto them longer than they should.  

They lost that game because of penalties -- 14 of them. And every one was a legit call. That's coaching. They are an extremely talented team.

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Jerry Jones has always been the problem which is why it's remarkable they were even able to win 3 championships in the 90's before he ran Jimmy Johnson out of town.

And with rumors swirling he may dump McCarthy after just 2 years and one playoff appearance shows how delusional he really is and not sure who would want that job either.

McCarthy is terrible. He just happened to get lucky with Favre and Rodgers. The Cowboys would be better off if they canned him and made Quinn HC.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I mean this is true, though oddly enough he was the only one that got postgame right this time around. Saying they shouldn't have even been in that situation for the refs to effect the game at the end, meanwhile Dak and McCarthy threw them under the bus.

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

They lost that game because of penalties -- 14 of them. And every one was a legit call. That's coaching. They are an extremely talented team.

McCarthy is terrible. He just happened to get lucky with Favre and Rodgers. The Cowboys would be better off if they canned him and made Quinn HC.

McCarthy is not the best HC in the league but he's still better than some think and the Cowboys have done much worse already.

But again, it goes back to Jerry Jones and his insistence in meddling and constantly seeking media attention. This is also why of all the SB's the Bills lost, it was the most gut wrenching watching this clown hoist the lombardi (twice) against us.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yep.........they are a good drafting team...........but Jerry's refusal to take a backseat to a powerful HC who won't kiss hisass has lead to him hiring and retaining weak head coaches.    

He's still determined to win with a Barry Switzer.

Love it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think there are a few things in play in my opinion.

1) There talent is overrated because they are Cowboys they get talked up by the media and they are on prime-time where people get to hear how great they are. They have pro-bowlers who if they were on the Bills would not be viewed as highly.

2) The Jones' hire "yes" men. Yes men don't optimize talent as the focus is on making Jerry happy not making the best team possible.

3) They are a collection of players .. not a cohesive team. Better teams beat better collections of talent in football. Not so in baseball or basketball, but  in the NFL tea means a ton.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

McCarthy is not the best HC in the league but he's still better than some think and the Cowboys have done much worse already.

But again, it goes back to Jerry Jones and his insistence in meddling and constantly seeking media attention. This is also why of all the SB's the Bills lost, it was the most gut wrenching watching this clown hoist the lombardi (twice) against us.

You know, thinking back to those days, I've always felt that way about it, even though I didn't see it in myself.   Giants beat us?  Okay, this is a historic franchise, with great ownership traditions, with the greatest coach of all time, Belichick, coming into the spotlight, the very beginnings of his greatness.  And it was a great game - fans all over the country loved that game.  For a decade or more, fans were saying that was the greatest Super Bowl ever.   Yeah, the Bills lost but, okay, I get it.  

Washington, I kind of always got it, too.   Here's a team that put it altogether for one glorious year, with a storybook QB who came out for nowhere, a true flash in the pan, and a really good running back has a career year, and their offensive line.   It all just came together for them for one season, and the Bills happened to be the last team that had to be overrun before they were crowned.   Good story. 

Dallas?   No, I'm sorry, no.   I mean, not taking anything away from Aikman and Smith, but Irvin and Lett and others whose names I've forgotten weren't exactly hoodlums, but they sure didn't mind being close to the line.  (You wonder whether the Ravens and Lewis and the Patriots and Hernandez were the natural extensions, knowing they were high risk.)   Jimmy Johnson was kind of in-your-face.  And Jerry Jones.   The whole operation was seriously dislikable, and it started at the top.  

For me, they've stopped being dislikable.  I mean, think of all those years of mediocrity with Jason Garrett at coach:  what was that, really.  Garrett seems to be a really nice guy, and I'm sure he's accumulated great knowledge about the game, and all that, but it wasn't hard to see that he didn't have the personality to be a good head coach, a true leader that the team will follow.   The guy was like Woody from Toy Story.  Any sensible owner would have moved on from him, but not Jones.  Why not?  Because Garrett was his puppet.   Even Ralph would have fired Garrett.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You know, thinking back to those days, I've always felt that way about it, even though I didn't see it in myself.   Giants beat us?  Okay, this is a historic franchise, with great ownership traditions, with the greatest coach of all time, Belichick, coming into the spotlight, the very beginnings of his greatness.  And it was a great game - fans all over the country loved that game.  For a decade or more, fans were saying that was the greatest Super Bowl ever.   Yeah, the Bills lost but, okay, I get it.  

Washington, I kind of always got it, too.   Here's a team that put it altogether for one glorious year, with a storybook QB who came out for nowhere, a true flash in the pan, and a really good running back has a career year, and their offensive line.   It all just came together for them for one season, and the Bills happened to be the last team that had to be overrun before they were crowned.   Good story. 

Dallas?   No, I'm sorry, no.   I mean, not taking anything away from Aikman and Smith, but Irvin and Lett and others whose names I've forgotten weren't exactly hoodlums, but they sure didn't mind being close to the line.  (You wonder whether the Ravens and Lewis and the Patriots and Hernandez were the natural extensions, knowing they were high risk.)   Jimmy Johnson was kind of in-your-face.  And Jerry Jones.   The whole operation was seriously dislikable, and it started at the top.  

For me, they've stopped being dislikable.  I mean, think of all those years of mediocrity with Jason Garrett at coach:  what was that, really.  Garrett seems to be a really nice guy, and I'm sure he's accumulated great knowledge about the game, and all that, but it wasn't hard to see that he didn't have the personality to be a good head coach, a true leader that the team will follow.   The guy was like Woody from Toy Story.  Any sensible owner would have moved on from him, but not Jones.  Why not?  Because Garrett was his puppet.   Even Ralph would have fired Garrett.  

Regarding the Cowboys, the only thing I would disagree is it's a rare case where talent truly mattered and they weren't going to be stopped from that run in the mid 90's where they won 3 of 4 SBs. I say this because obviously they still got to another SB and won it with a knucklehead like Barry Switzer who certainly was a downgrade from Johnson and there's a reason he never coached in the NFL elsewhere and/or probably wouldn't have been a PO caliber HC for that matter.

But I do agree is that regardless of talent, they definitely were an unlikeable bunch but I do have to say Michael Irvin has been very positive about the Bills on tv in recent years. Aikman on the other hand I still hate watching and listening to on fox games.

Regarding the current cowboys, At the end of the day Jerry Jones is still on a power trip and desperate for relevance and winning another SB before he kicks the bucket.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I only watched the first 1/3 of this and it was BRUTAL!!!!!   Stephen A. loves to hate the Cowboys.  It's a little much but so is Stephen A.  And you know what?  I hate the Cowboys just as much.  Michael Irvin must have been absolutely stewing over there across from him.

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Regarding the Cowboys, the only thing I would disagree is it's a rare case where talent truly mattered and they weren't going to be stopped from that run in the mid 90's where they won 3 of 4 SBs. I say this because obviously they still got to another SB and won it with a knucklehead like Barry Switzer who certainly was a downgrade from Johnson and there's a reason he never coached in the NFL elsewhere and/or probably wouldn't have been a PO caliber HC for that matter.

But I do agree is that regardless of talent, they definitely were an unlikeable bunch but I do have to say Michael Irvin has been very positive about the Bills on tv in recent years. Aikman on the other hand I still hate watching and listening to on fox games.

Regarding the current cowboys, At the end of the day Jerry Jones is still on a power trip and desperate for relevance and winning another SB before he kicks the bucket.

Good point.  Those Cowboys were an extraordinary collection of talent.  And that's why the Bills had so much success, too.   Each of those teams had three Hall of Famers, I think all but Reed was a first-ballot guy.   In fact, it's much harder now than it was then to accumulate talent.  That's what's kind of amazing about the Chiefs, with Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce.   

I'm happy every time the Cowboys lose.  

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.