Would NE do Mac Jones + picks for Watson?

ProcessTruster

So the Pats should trade Mac Jones because he is limited and can’t bring the required physical traits of Allen, Mahomes, etc. to a team who would give up their star QB with those traits to acquire a QB who is limited and doesn’t bring the required physical traits to compete with Allen, Mahomes, and now the QB they just traded? 

Makes absolutely no sense. 

12 hours ago, NoSaint said:

cam and Watson don’t have too much in common currently 

Well, I did find this from Watson's college days, lol:

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Maybe-Deshaun-Watson-will-now-stop-the-arrogant-1407934

"Superman poses a la Cam Newton. A guy who is injured as often as Watson should learn humility. Let's hope he gets stronger both physically and psychologically. We sure do need him on the field."

15 hours ago, Klaus said:

I think Mac's best days are essentially the same as we saw this year. His arm isn't going to get stronger, he isn't going to get faster, so what is the upside. This isn't to say that they don't stick with him, because I think they do, but saying the best years are ahead is a bit of reach, I think he is essentially as good as he will get. 

You really don't think a rookie QB can improve?  Jones wasn't the problem Saturday, everyone else was.

6 minutes ago, klos63 said:

You really don't think a rookie QB can improve?  Jones wasn't the problem Saturday, everyone else was.

Bourne made a couple of nice plays, Bills getting up 14-0 and Patsies missing pieces on the O-Line meant the Pats couldn't run like they did in the windy night game.

Defense looked old and slow, against even older Manny Sanders, and they didn't seem to have anyone who could spy Josh Allen.  Have never seen a 13 second play before in the red zone.

32 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Jones certainly was one of the problems. 

Can, and should a rookie QB improve? Yes, for sure. But I think we saw a QB that is close to his ceiling in what Mac displayed this year. There are times QBs come out of college nearly fully developed in their skills, I think of all the highly touted USC QBs that turned into NFL busts. So maybe Mac was 95% of what he can be, so if he closes that last 5% gap where does that leave him vs the other 31 starters in the NFL? 

15 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I'm no Mac Jones fan and certainly not a Patriots fan.  That said, Jones is a decent QB.  He's a rookie and played pretty well for large stretches of the year.  He seems like a smart player with limited, but sufficient athletic ability.  The interception made by Hyde can't be underestimated.  It was a well-thrown ball and if Hyde had not made an all-time incredible play, the game might have been 7-7 and become competitive.  Instead, the Bills got the ball back, marched right down the field, extended their lead to 14 and put the Pats into playing from behind for the rest of the game, which limited what they were able to do.  Jones will never be Josh Allen or Tom Brady, but he still has a chance to be a good NFL QB.  (Even if that's the case, I still expect the Bills to dominate the Pats for years to come.)  

Jones performed a lot better than Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, and Justin Fields for most of the season.  How would you expect any rookie QB to play in Buffalo, with a full staduim, in the playoffs, in the cold, against the #1 defense in the league, when your team is behind the entire game and thus can't rely fully on its running game?

Consider that Jones isn't that bad, but his opponent last weekend was that good.  The Bills defense improved to the point of being #1 in the league and the Bills offense put the Pats into playing from behind.  For what it's worth, Davis Mills, Trevor Lawrence, and Zach Wilson also played against this defense, and depite having their moments against other teams, did not succeed against this defense.  Mills and Wilson had historic bad games.  Lawrence won, but his team only scored 3 FGs and the Bills offense just crapped the bed that day.

My thoughts exactly. Still early to say how good Mac can be, but he doesn't appear to have the tools to be a franchise quarterback - he may be solid, but I just can't see him being a tope 5 QB.

That said, he would have looked even better had he had a better supporting cast. The NE WR corps is really pretty bad and they were dropping balls all over during the wildcard game. If the Pats get some decent receiving talent we'll be able to better tell Mac's ceiling.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Bourne made a couple of nice plays, Bills getting up 14-0 and Patsies missing pieces on the O-Line meant the Pats couldn't run like they did in the windy night game.

Defense looked old and slow, against even older Manny Sanders, and they didn't seem to have anyone who could spy Josh Allen.  Have never seen a 13 second play before in the red zone.

Sanders can still run - the guy he beat was like 24.  Though Joejuan Williams big knock coming out was his lack of speed.  

With all the talk of the possibility of Rogers leaving GB this yr i would be more worried about that scenario him leaving & going to the Pats .

If he does take GB to the SB i think he would stick around but you never know what can transpire i never thought i would see Brady play for a different team but here we are .

If Rogers doesn't make it to the big game this year that might be all he needs as motivation to make such a move given the mystique of the Pats & what they have done he could go there thinking he could win 1 more then retire .

Watson has a awful lot of baggage & i don't see Bill wanting to put up with all of that for that matter i don't see any team wanting to go through that except the Texans i believe that's why they may bring in Flores because Watson said he would play for him & that may be the 1 chance to get him to stay .

Edited by T master

2 hours ago, T master said:

With all the talk of the possibility of Rogers leaving GB this yr i would be more worried about that scenario him leaving & going to the Pats .

If he does take GB to the SB i think he would stick around but you never know what can transpire i never thought i would see Brady play for a different team but here we are .

If Rogers doesn't make it to the big game this year that might be all he needs as motivation to make such a move given the mystique of the Pats & what they have done he could go there thinking he could win 1 more then retire .

Watson has a awful lot of baggage & i don't see Bill wanting to put up with all of that for that matter i don't see any team wanting to go through that except the Texans i believe that's why they may bring in Flores because Watson said he would play for him & that may be the 1 chance to get him to stay .

He's under contract through the end of '22.  If the Cheaters want him, they'll have to pony up major picks.

19 hours ago, BearNorth said:

I don't think after the Cam fiasco, that BB wants anything to do with a Watson type player regardless of talent.  Jimmy G was originally a BB guy and suspect he will be on the market soon, but can BB cure his tendency to throw stupid picks at the worst possible times.

"That type of player..."

What do Cam Newton and Watson have in common?🤔

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.