Would NE do Mac Jones + picks for Watson?

ProcessTruster

Pretty clear BB brought a knive to a gunfight Saturday night.  Wonder if Pats get in the D Watson sweepstakes?   They won't be competitive with Bills for 10 years with ole' noodle arm at QB.   Won't have top 5 pick anytime soom. 

Looks like Mr Kraft and Desean are cut from the same cloth so no problem there.  Pats have brought in numerous questionable characters over the years.   Could be a risk for the Bills.   Waddya think? 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Mills is probably a better prospect than Mac Jones at this point, I doubt Houston would even go for that. Some other team will give them the same picks the Pats would offer plus a player that's a clear upgrade somewhere for them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, 947 said:

Mills is probably a better prospect than Mac Jones at this point, I doubt Houston would even go for that. Some other team will give them the same picks the Pats would offer plus a player that's a clear upgrade somewhere for them.

The Eagles have 3 picks in the first round between 15 and 19. The Cheaters* don’t pick until 21. They need the ammo, and I don’t see NE pulling it off. 

• Agree 2

I don't think after the Cam fiasco, that BB wants anything to do with a Watson type player regardless of talent.  Jimmy G was originally a BB guy and suspect he will be on the market soon, but can BB cure his tendency to throw stupid picks at the worst possible times.

• Like (+1) 1

The Patriots aren't moving on from Mac Jones.  He hit a rookie wall.  He's never going to be a superstar but it's hard to upgrade from a guy whose best days may be in front of him.  It takes years & a lot of luck to get a franchise QB.  

Nobody is trading for Watson until he is cleared legally & they know he will be available.  The only possibility is a trade of future picks, none of them in the 2022 draft, which would be contingent on Watson being clear of his legal problems.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

I don't think after the Cam fiasco, that BB wants anything to do with a Watson type player regardless of talent.  Jimmy G was originally a BB guy and suspect he will be on the market soon, but can BB cure his tendency to throw stupid picks at the worst possible times.

I can see Jimmy G returning to the Pats.. more than probable 

Just now, Albany,n.y. said:

The Patriots aren't moving on from Mac Jones.  He hit a rookie wall.  He's never going to be a superstar but it's hard to upgrade from a guy whose best days may be in front of him.  It takes years & a lot of luck to get a franchise QB.  

Nobody is trading for Watson until he is cleared legally & they know he will be available.  The only possibility is a trade of future picks, none of them in the 2022 draft, which would be contingent on Watson being clear of his legal problems.  

I think Mac's best days are essentially the same as we saw this year. His arm isn't going to get stronger, he isn't going to get faster, so what is the upside. This isn't to say that they don't stick with him, because I think they do, but saying the best years are ahead is a bit of reach, I think he is essentially as good as he will get. 

• Simon changed the title to Would NE do Mac Jones + picks for Watson?

No chance.  The Texans would rather go with Davis Mills than Jones and thus the Cheaters don't have the draft capital, and Watson doesn't like the Cheaters' organization.

And the Cheaters are going to roll with Jones for at least another 1+ seasons.  Belicheat wants to show that he can turn the highest pick he's ever spent on a QB into another Brady.

5 minutes ago, Klaus said:

I think Mac's best days are essentially the same as we saw this year. His arm isn't going to get stronger, he isn't going to get faster, so what is the upside. This isn't to say that they don't stick with him, because I think they do, but saying the best years are ahead is a bit of reach, I think he is essentially as good as he will get. 

He won't hit the rookie wall in future years.  

I'm no Mac Jones fan and certainly not a Patriots fan.  That said, Jones is a decent QB.  He's a rookie and played pretty well for large stretches of the year.  He seems like a smart player with limited, but sufficient athletic ability.  The interception made by Hyde can't be underestimated.  It was a well-thrown ball and if Hyde had not made an all-time incredible play, the game might have been 7-7 and become competitive.  Instead, the Bills got the ball back, marched right down the field, extended their lead to 14 and put the Pats into playing from behind for the rest of the game, which limited what they were able to do.  Jones will never be Josh Allen or Tom Brady, but he still has a chance to be a good NFL QB.  (Even if that's the case, I still expect the Bills to dominate the Pats for years to come.)  

Jones performed a lot better than Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, and Justin Fields for most of the season.  How would you expect any rookie QB to play in Buffalo, with a full staduim, in the playoffs, in the cold, against the #1 defense in the league, when your team is behind the entire game and thus can't rely fully on its running game?

Consider that Jones isn't that bad, but his opponent last weekend was that good.  The Bills defense improved to the point of being #1 in the league and the Bills offense put the Pats into playing from behind.  For what it's worth, Davis Mills, Trevor Lawrence, and Zach Wilson also played against this defense, and depite having their moments against other teams, did not succeed against this defense.  Mills and Wilson had historic bad games.  Lawrence won, but his team only scored 3 FGs and the Bills offense just crapped the bed that day.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, Klaus said:

Well in fairness, Allen was never going to get more accurate, was never going to see the whole field and would never be more than an athlete trying to play QB.  That thought pattern failed. 

Jones may not pan out, but it’s too early to know. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Looks like Mr Kraft and Desean are cut from the same cloth so no problem there.  Pats have brought in numerous questionable characters over the years.   Could be a risk for the Bills.   Waddya think? 

im sure they are part of the same “ member” contact list.

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

What do Watson and Cam Newton have to do with each other? 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.