Raiders fire GM Mike Mayock

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, QCity said:

Where did you see this?

2 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Interesting. That means he have actually done a better job than it appears on paper. 😂. Is there a link or anything to that info?

I heard it on SiriusXM radio and can't recall for sure who it was. If I had to guess it was Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller show as I recall it sounding credible and those guys are pretty good. But it could have been Florio perhaps. Not a goof like Cowherd. 

Edited by Bob Chandler's Hands
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

That's incorrect. Coaching has caught up to Belicheat now, everyone does what Belicheat used to do more or less by himself (20 years ago.) Belicheat was the first coach that really tore apart film finding everything you need to know. Now, everyone does it and even got better at it than Belicheat. 

No matter what though, Belicheat is a cheater. He ruined his career, imho..

Every coach watches film and dissects it…bill was one the few guys to completely alter schemes week to week to match the opponent…it takes a lot of discipline on the player’s part to know their responsibilities all game long when they’re asked to do different things every week. That’s what sets bill apart imo…but now that roster just doesn’t have enough talent so it doesn’t matter 

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Derek Carr is the biggest thing holding the Raiders back. I don’t see how firing people fixes that. They’ll always be able to sneak into the playoffs with Carr, but will never be real contenders. He’s good enough to win, but not championship caliber. It’s a tough spot to be in, because the QB position could also be far worse. 

100 percent agreed. Idk what the hell anyone sees in him. The best comparison I can make for Carr, is that he’s a poor man Kirk Cousins. And like Cousins he always comes up short against teams he needs to beat. If Rodgers ends up in Denver next year Derek will be the Worst QB in that Division. Derek is nothing more than a stat guy

5 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Team makes playoffs the team looks decent and you gonna replace them. Only the raiders 

What’s decent about them besides Jacobs and their defense?? They don’t have a QB and they don’t have any weapons at WR. And they don’t have an o line due to Gruden getting rid of Hudson. 

Edited by BuffaloBills1998
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I wonder how much Mayock was actually the GM and how much was Gruden.  

Obviously, Gruden was in charge.  But Chucky must have left Mayock with some duties.  

It seemed preordained that Mayock would be gone once Gruden resigned.  Still, how many sportswriters can say they actually built a playoff team? 

Odd he was given the chance.  Don't think he'll ever have the chance again.  Hope he enjoyed the experience while it lasted.  

Think about that for a min. In my view Gruden had complete autonomy as he was able to hire a TV draft analyst as his GM! (Know any other NFL HC's that could have gotten away with that?) 

It was Gruden that liked QB Nathan Peterman...

Look at some of those later picks, DE Maxx Crosby in the 4th, WR Hunter Renfro in the 5th.

Like Yolo stated, this firing was probably a condition of Harbaugh being hired as he most likely wants more control like Gruden.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Think about that for a min. In my view Gruden had complete autonomy as he was able to hire a TV draft analyst as his GM! (Know any other NFL HC's that could have gotten away with that?) 

Look at some of those later picks, DE Maxx Crosby in the 4th, WR Hunter Renfro in the 5th.

Like Yolo stated, this firing was probably a condition of Harbaugh being hired as he most likely wants more control like Gruden.

Love Crosby and Wanted to draft Renfrow so badly...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

No new head coach worth his salt is going to accept a situation where the GM is thrust upon him like that.

After the Gruden situation went down, I'm sure it was simply a matter of time before Mayock was gone too.

Hell, he may have known this firing was coming for several months--and probably did.

6 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

100 percent agreed. Idk what the hell anyone sees in him. The best comparison I can make for Carr, is that he’s a poor man Kirk Cousins. And like Cousins he always comes up short against teams he needs to beat. If Rodgers ends up in Denver next year Derek will be the Worst QB in that Division. Derek is nothing more than a stat guy

What’s decent about them besides Jacobs and their defense?? They don’t have a QB and they don’t have any weapons at WR. And they don’t have an o line due to Gruden getting rid of Hudson. 

Think of this people:  after Ruggs’ accident and dismissal, Zay Jones was a starting WR for that team.

Former Giant and Michigan alum Jumbo Elliot tweeted Harbaugh interested in the Raiders or Giants. Mara already said the new GM will hire the HC so I don't know how true that is.

(16) Jumbo Elliott on Twitter: "Little Birdie says coach Harbaugh eyeing Raiders & Giants." / Twitter

5 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Think of this people:  after Ruggs’ accident and dismissal, Zay Jones was a starting WR for that team.

That’s not an excuse, your paying your QB the last years of a 100 million dollar contract. It’s his job to make the best with what he has. Carr has been on that team for 8-9 years and all you’ve gotten out of paying him a 100 million is two playoff appearances ( one of them he didn’t start in) and zero playoff wins. Could’ve beaten Cinci if he only read the defense properly and saw that Waller was wide open but instead like usual he forces a pass down the middle to Zay not even getting to the red zone and he gets picked. All I’m saying is if the raiders had a more competent QB they would’ve won that game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

His drafting has been atrocious.

17 hours ago, Rico said:

No surprise, it’s obvious Mayock was in way over his head from his first draft on.

I can't argue against these comments.

I just wonder how much of these decisions were all by Mayock. Any chance that Gruden was involved with this? Then there's Marc Davis. I would not be surprised if he was making decisions that he is not qualified to make. Much like Al Davis did.

That is the Raider way.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, mattynh said:

Mel Kiper rumored to be next in line followed by a team of twobillsdrive experts

seriously  I used to like his draft commentary,  so if he wants back into Media someone will hire him. Although I will say retirement definitely does not suck.....If you have enough funds to do it comfortably and maintain a nice lifestyle I think folks that CAN jump off the hamster wheel of working and don't..well Im happy for them if Theyre happy I guess. He and Gruden can go play golf together now. YEP ;-0

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.