Snow Blower Recommendations

Gugny

Used to live on top of a hill outside of Holland.   Went to BarChel in EA and bought the biggest snowblower they had.  It’s a White 13 horse with a 33 inch cut.  Had it over 20 years and it still runs like a top.   Live around Albany now so I use it couple of times a season.

Correction, Bar-Chel in Springville…

• Like (+1) 1

Mr Gugny, I include a link to a Craftsman unit that would not start.   The reason I include it is so you can see the layout of the unit.  I am guessing this is a new layout for blowers because it is more complex and a little bit harder to work on than all the other video's I have watched.  This blower had major dirt in the jets issues.  Several comments below the video seem to indicate a few others had the same issue, with basically 3 year old or less blowers.  One guy stated he left it he put stabilizer in it one year and the other he siphoned the gas out.  Both years he had issues. 

I use straight gas on both my blower and my lawnmower.  I used to use ethanol gas because it was left over from by gas bonus points.  I use noise cancelling headphones when I cut the lawn and when I made the switch there was a noticable change in the way the mower sounded.  With ethanol gas there was a high pitched knock that disappeared when I was running straight gas.  I had to have the noise cancelling on to hear the difference.  Straight gas just sounds smoother.

You never said what your issues were, so were they with the starting/running?

On 1/17/2022 at 7:20 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Ariens invented the modern snowblower IIRC... Good Wisconsin company, Mecca of the small engine.

Then there's that douche in Tampa.   Oh wait,  wrong spelling.   That's Arians...

Put drift bars on it:

wp_20150219_001-jpg.42985

Are those home made out of metal studs?  Home made right?  What do they do?  I'm curious.  

On 1/21/2022 at 4:13 PM, Greybeard said:

Mr Gugny, I include a link to a Craftsman unit that would not start.   The reason I include it is so you can see the layout of the unit.  I am guessing this is a new layout for blowers because it is more complex and a little bit harder to work on than all the other video's I have watched.  This blower had major dirt in the jets issues.  Several comments below the video seem to indicate a few others had the same issue, with basically 3 year old or less blowers.  One guy stated he left it he put stabilizer in it one year and the other he siphoned the gas out.  Both years he had issues. 

I use straight gas on both my blower and my lawnmower.  I used to use ethanol gas because it was left over from by gas bonus points.  I use noise cancelling headphones when I cut the lawn and when I made the switch there was a noticable change in the way the mower sounded.  With ethanol gas there was a high pitched knock that disappeared when I was running straight gas.  I had to have the noise cancelling on to hear the difference.  Straight gas just sounds smoother.

You never said what your issues were, so were they with the starting/running?

It's the fuel lines getting gunked up.  I did (I thought) everything necessary to avoid this from happening.  After it happened last year, I decided to fill it with ethanol-free gas AND I started it every 2-3 weeks throughout the spring, summer and fall.

Started right up earlier this winter.  Started right up the other day, too, and I was able to finish about 99% of my driveway before it just died.

Repair guy told me that's all good stuff, but to start adding stabilizer to the gas on top of those measures.  I'm also going to keep the tank full at all times to avoid condensation (also his advice).

I haven't experienced any changes with the ethanol-free gas vs. regular unleaded.

These problems really do seem to only apply the newer machines.  I have a Troy Bilt lawnmower that I've had for 12 years and have done nothing to it but add gas and a little oil over the years.  Runs like a top.

If this snowblower sh!ts the bed one more time, that'll be it for me.  I just don't know how confident I am that buying another make/model will be any better.

Without question, Gugny, you are going to want one of these babies from German company Beilhack.

The problem is you will need to build train tracks on your property and you will destroy your neighbor's houses on either side, so they'll probably be mad at you.

But just watch this thing clear snow! 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 1/26/2022 at 5:05 PM, Nextmanup said:

Without question, Gugny, you are going to want one of these babies from German company Beilhack.

The problem is you will need to build train tracks on your property and you will destroy your neighbor's houses on either side, so they'll probably be mad at you.

But just watch this thing clear snow! 

Will my Toro dealer be able to fix it?  I need it ready by Saturday! 

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Will my Toro dealer be able to fix it?  I need it ready by Saturday! 

You might need to fly technicians in from Germany, and I would imagine that could get a bit pricey...

But the thing clears 16,000 tons of snow in an hour.  😂

Where was this thing when I was out shoveling the driveway at 6:00am in the cold and dark before going to school on so many winter days as a kid?!

The snow plow would come by overnight, and create a slush/ice wall of really HEAVY snow (if conditions were right for it) blocking in the driveway, about 3-4 feet high and 3-4 feet thick...and we had a side-by-side "2 lane" driveway too...

It was my job to get rid of the slush wall so we could get the cars out of the driveway.

Ah, such happy memories...

Edited by Nextmanup

6 hours ago, Just Jack said:

My driveway slopes down to the road, I can envision a big puddle of water in the road at the base freezing, and I get ticketed for causing a road hazard.  

A friends family had a driveway that went up a hill. it had heat in stripes up the short hill. they would melt the snow but they were two far apart and froze in between lol

. We never made a comment as he was pissed

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/6/2022 at 10:10 AM, Just Jack said:

My driveway slopes down to the road, I can envision a big puddle of water in the road at the base freezing, and I get ticketed for causing a road hazard.  

If one has the coin for heated pipes under their road leading into their empire... I'd sure bet one of these wouldn't be to terrible of an engineering problem: 😉 

4ca52a5e42ec7d49e5705b619b658749.jpg

On 1/19/2022 at 8:20 PM, Just Jack said:

I remember during Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak, around the time he was going to break the record, the local paper listed what injuries other players had that day that prevented them from playing. One player (sorry, don't remember the name) was out because of a cut on their finger. 

Go slice your finger near the finger print and then go throw a baseball hard and accurately.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.