Snow Blower Recommendations

Gugny

1 hour ago, Augie said:

@Gugny I have two recommendations:

A) Move south

B) If you aren’t able to make “A” happen, keep your damn fingers away from places they shouldn’t be. I had a buddy in college from Cleveland, and he did NOT have the full compliment of digits due to a snow blower. Saw that more with construction workers, but the snowblower does a fine job of it too. 

I’m sure you are well aware, but what a nasty event! Early adulthood I had a friend who lost a finger and a half early in life working construction. He became a shop teacher and drove himself to the hospital after losing a couple more at school on the weekend. “Professional” carpenters I worked with during summer breaks were both missing some digits. It almost seems “normal” to them! 

When I bought my first house back in 2002, I bought an old (OLD!) Toro snowblower for like $100.  Thing was a tank.  I brought it out to clear some of the wet, heavy, slushy stuff and it kept getting clogged.  My dumb ass went to clear the chute with my hand and I got nailed pretty good.  Lucky I didn't break some fingers, let alone lose any.  Bloodied them up really good and they were a little chewed.  All four fingers.  The thumb was spared.  But I was young and resilient, so I went inside and ran them under cold water, then put four band aids on and finished the driveway.  Explaining why I had bandaids on all of my fingers was a little embarrassing when I went to work.  That was a painful lesson and I've never come close to making that mistake again.

58 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

@Gugny  ... my street is as wide as 4 lanes so I get a lot of salted melting slop at the end. Moving that crap is awful with my 1 stage or 2 stage snowblower. A part of me since says ***** it and hire a guy to plow when its over a certain amount.

My snowblower (same one I have now) didn't start last year when we got 36 inches of snow.  I had to call someone to plow.  They destroyed my lawn and completely uprooted a bush.  Never again.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/17/2022 at 4:05 PM, TheCockSportif said:

Cub Cadet.  https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Cub-Cadet-3528SWE-Snow-Thrower/p11995.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAxJSPBhAoEiwAeO_fP50eMt7DXvNJtY8ta4rE0XKd2-i3GnB5yEXDfqlY4TjxpMqd6VEMURoCVzYQAvD_BwE  I have a cheaper version of that one, but yeah, brand is on point.

What I say is don't buy the Craftsman crap.  The fabricator (MTD) totally sucks for that price point, and I endured 15 years of a horrible snow blower (the power drive was hot and steaming poop), which I would service during blizzards and so on, and I got sick of it.

MTD fabricates quite a few brands. I believe Cub Cadet is one of them too.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

When I bought my first house back in 2002, I bought an old (OLD!) Toro snowblower for like $100.  Thing was a tank.  I brought it out to clear some of the wet, heavy, slushy stuff and it kept getting clogged.  My dumb ass went to clear the chute with my hand and I got nailed pretty good.  Lucky I didn't break some fingers, let alone lose any.  Bloodied them up really good and they were a little chewed.  All four fingers.  The thumb was spared.  But I was young and resilient, so I went inside and ran them under cold water, then put four band aids on and finished the driveway.  Explaining why I had bandaids on all of my fingers was a little embarrassing when I went to work.  That was a painful lesson and I've never come close to making that mistake again.

My snowblower (same one I have now) didn't start last year when we got 36 inches of snow.  I had to call someone to plow.  They destroyed my lawn and completely uprooted a bush.  Never again.

Old Polish saying, Experience is an expensive teacher, but a fool will learn from no other (actually it's a Japanese proverb but it was told to me by an old Polish guy)

• Awesome! (+1) 2

On 1/17/2022 at 8:11 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

I never use Stabil.  Just keep the tank filled right to top!

Always keep the gas tank full!!! Store it full with fuel! I know it sounds odd... But I've never had a problem.  I do everything to destroy my lawn mower except keep an empty tank.  

https://www.berrymanproducts.com/reasons-to-keep-your-gas-tank-full/

Dirt in the Fuel Tank

"Yes, you read that correctly. Dirt and debris can find their way into your fuel tank over time.

Sounds bad, right? 

When you leave your gas tank partly full — especially for an extended time — it allows for dirt, rust, sediment and other pollutants to build up in your tank and mix with the gasoline. ..."

Condensation & Corrosion

"You leave a water bottle half full in the sun. What happens next? 

>> Answer: It gets condensation in the top of the bottle that then drips down into the bottle. 

The same thing happens in your fuel tank. ..."

I can confirm the above. Used to work at motorcycle shops and we would tell our customers to store their motorcycles with a full tank of gas plus fuel stabilizer.

I’ve seen a number of tanks rusted out on the inside from being stored with too little fuel in them.

We always recommended topping the tank up, adding stabilizer and then letting it run long enough for the gas w/stabilizer to fill the carbs (to prevent clogged jets).

I think it’s worth adding fuel stabilizer for peace of mind (esp. in case it ends up sitting longer than planned). It can be a huge PITA if fuel clogs the carb jets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I can confirm the above. Used to work at motorcycle shops and we would tell our customers to store their motorcycles with a full tank of gas plus fuel stabilizer.

I’ve seen a number of tanks rusted out on the inside from being stored with too little fuel in them.

We always recommended topping the tank up, adding stabilizer and then letting it run long enough for the gas w/stabilizer to fill the carbs (to prevent clogged jets).

I think it’s worth adding fuel stabilizer for peace of mind (esp. in case it ends up sitting longer than planned). It can be a huge PITA if fuel clogs the carb jets.

Yup! Not disagreeing with Stabil.  Can't hurt... But leave tank full to the rim with Brim! 😉 

Now... Not sure when there's a stop-#### on fuel line.   I am torn leaving open or closed and running dry.  If possible, like to keep fuel in there, so it's not dry and leaves a layer of varnish... But that's where the Stabil helps!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I know you want a bigger snowblower Gugny but if anyone’s looking for a small single stage snowblower you should look at Honda. They make great 2 stage snowblowers as well but they’re big money ($2000+ iirc. Probably even more now).

I used to sell Honda motorcycles + scooters + power equipment (generators, snowblowers, etc) and they make excellent stuff. You treat a Honda motor right and it’ll run damn near forever.

Their little 1 stage snowblowers can really move snow too. Customers used to be amazed that little 1 stage blower would throw snow 25+ft.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A vote for Toro purchased from a dealer.  Purchased one in 2015 and I've had no issues.  It's quite the machine.  It hasn't rusted, and the welds and shear bolts are strong.  Welds are intact and I haven't replaced a bolt yet.   

I think there are differences in the Toros between the ones you get at the dealer vs the ones you get at the Home Depot/Lowes stores.  

I only use ethanol free gasoline in my small engines.  I think it makes a difference.  I've been told by several small engine mechanics that putting your typical ethanol-added gas into small engines just kills them slowly.  It's just too much moisture.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

A vote for Toro purchased from a dealer.  Purchased one in 2015 and I've had no issues.  It's quite the machine.  It hasn't rusted, and the welds and shear bolts are strong.  Welds are intact and I haven't replaced a bolt yet.   

I think there are differences in the Toros between the ones you get at the dealer vs the ones you get at the Home Depot/Lowes stores.  

I only use ethanol free gasoline in my small engines.  I think it makes a difference.  I've been told by several small engine mechanics that putting your typical ethanol-added gas into small engines just kills them slowly.  It's just too much moisture.  

I recently cleaned a fuel bowl full of deposits from my lightly used garden tractor, supposedly from ethanol. The engine would start fine by spraying starter fluid but was not getting gas. I was surprised at how much stuff was in there. I had also tried dumping cleaner type fluids into the carb, but to no avail.

Like most, it turned out to be an easy fix once the solution was known. I'm using ethanol free for the foreseeable future, will be interesting if it happens again.

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

Glad you mentioned this!

There's the key!  FROM A DEALER.  The crap you get at a big box store may be the same brand... But made cheaper.  Like Deere, Cub Cadet, etc... 

Same with the junk at Walmart... Going down to the simplest of things.  Brands are made cheaper for Walmart. Take a Hershey Bar... Hershey makes them with cheaper ingredients for Walmart.  They probably do the same with all kinds of brands. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

20 hours ago, Gugny said:

How times have changed. Now a tiny blister on your finger puts you out of work for a month. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Beerball said:

How times have changed. Now a tiny blister on your finger puts you out of work for a month. 

I remember during Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak, around the time he was going to break the record, the local paper listed what injuries other players had that day that prevented them from playing. One player (sorry, don't remember the name) was out because of a cut on their finger. 

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I remember during Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak, around the time he was going to break the record, the local paper listed what injuries other players had that day that prevented them from playing. One player (sorry, don't remember the name) was out because of a cut on their finger. 

Staph and MRSA are very real in the locker room.  Worse today.  😉 😜 

https://sportsturfnw.com/locker-rooms-pose-perfect-conditions-for-mrsa-staph-and-other-infections/

Same with artificial turf:

https://sportsturfnw.com/turf-manufacturers-need-to-come-clean-to-schools-and-parks/

On 1/19/2022 at 3:32 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Glad you mentioned this!

There's the key!  FROM A DEALER.  The crap you get at a big box store may be the same brand... But made cheaper.  Like Deere, Cub Cadet, etc... 

Same with the junk at Walmart... Going down to the simplest of things.  Brands are made cheaper for Walmart. Take a Hershey Bar... Hershey makes them with cheaper ingredients for Walmart.  They probably do the same with all kinds of brands. 

I've had a satisfying experience buying equipment from a dealer (in my experience, Toro, JD, Stihl and Generac) after frustration with Home Depot purchased equipment that no matter how diligently you maintained it, always died.  

I had to get over a hurdle in my own head - buying cheap five times or spending more money once.  For the longest time, I was committed to buying cheap, thinking I can beat the odds until I learned the lesson.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Baseball players like their few remaining geriatric fans (MiH excluded) are highly pampered.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.