Snow Blower Recommendations

Gugny

I had a Troy Bilt Storm 2410 for 11 years and it was fantastic.  I bought a new one two years ago ... same exact make and model ... and it has been nothing but a ***** headache since I got it.

Without going into detail about the troubles it's given me, I am ready to just cut my losses and buy a new machine.

I am in the $1000-$1200 range.  24 or 26 inches will do.  Anything over 200cc.

I know this limits me, pretty much, to Craftsman, Toro, Ariens and Cub Cadet.

Looking for recommendations based on personal experience.  Thanks!

I have a Cub Cadet - more like $400-$500 range, but we don't get nearly as much snow as upstate NY does. I only use it a few times every winter. But whatever model you get, spend a little extra to get the electric start feature.

• Agree 1

Cub Cadet.  https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Cub-Cadet-3528SWE-Snow-Thrower/p11995.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAxJSPBhAoEiwAeO_fP50eMt7DXvNJtY8ta4rE0XKd2-i3GnB5yEXDfqlY4TjxpMqd6VEMURoCVzYQAvD_BwE  I have a cheaper version of that one, but yeah, brand is on point.

What I say is don't buy the Craftsman crap.  The fabricator (MTD) totally sucks for that price point, and I endured 15 years of a horrible snow blower (the power drive was hot and steaming poop), which I would service during blizzards and so on, and I got sick of it.

10 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I have a Cub Cadet - more like $400-$500 range, but we don't get nearly as much snow as upstate NY does. I only use it a few times every winter. But whatever model you get, spend a little extra to get the electric start feature.

I'm leaning toward Cub Cadet.  All of the models in my price range have the electric start.  I've always had electric start over the years, but have rarely had to use it.  Even this current snowblower started this morning with a couple pulls.

I've got the Troy Bilt 2400 Storm and this is my 3rd Winter with it. Other than breaking one of the chute clasps as I was putting it together the thing has been trouble free.

I've only had to use it a handful of times the first two Winters and today was the first time I've used it this year but it seems to be running better everytime I use it (break in period ?)

It went through today's foot+ of snow easily.

How can they say: "Inflation."

My father bought a Toro, the bigger one made in 1978... It cost him $800.  Had plug-in electric start and hood.  I think it was the Tecumseh Snow-king 8hp... It ran for 30 years mostly in hard Upstate New York BFLo winters...

That's $3,400 today corrected for inflation...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

10 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

I have a John Deere 828D made by Ariens that is still running. It’s at least 25 years old. 

That's the thing.  The whole, "they don't make them the way they used to," adage is what I'm living in real life now.  I sold my old Troy Bilt that I had for 11 years problem free and bought a new one. Exact same model.  File it under shoulda, coulda, woulda, I guess.  But now I need something dependable that's new.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

i have an ariens, and the thing is a tank.  we have our driveway plowed, but i use it for some walkways and in areas the plow can't get.  this thing has bounced around in my family and landed on me at least 10 years ago.  i've maybe had it serviced once during that time, and it starts with no problem every single year.  used it an hour ago.  i give this recommendation with no knowledge of prices or as gugny mentioned, if they don't make them the way they used to.

I just did 14" of snow with my Airens 24" 7hp.  The good is that it is really light and easy to maneuver.  The bad is that in really deep snow, you may have to take a second pass.  I might go a little bigger.  It has the Tecumseh OHV engine and electric start which I almost always use because I'm lazy.  Had it about 15 years.  Still runs strong.  I put a little Stabil in it and the end of the season, turn off the gas line and run it dry.  No problems.      

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

I have a John Deere 828D made by Ariens that is still running. It’s at least 25 years old. 

Ariens invented the modern snowblower IIRC... Good Wisconsin company, Mecca of the small engine.

Then there's that douche in Tampa.   Oh wait,  wrong spelling.   That's Arians...

1 hour ago, Irv said:

I just did 14" of snow with my Airens 24" 7hp.  The good is that it is really light and easy to maneuver.  The bad is that in really deep snow, you may have to take a second pass.  I might go a little bigger.  It has the Tecumseh OHV engine and electric start which I almost always use because I'm lazy.  Had it about 15 years.  Still runs strong.  I put a little Stabil in it and the end of the season, turn off the gas line and run it dry.  No problems.      

Put drift bars on it:

wp_20150219_001-jpg.42985

• Like (+1) 1

I have a MTD 26", 8 HP which is about 15 years old.  Oddly I am having trouble with it for the first time.  I believe I have something wrong with the gas or the carb.  I did the usual Stabil and in October it started right up.  It still starts up but sometimes going up a slight slope on the driveway it starts dying.  I figure maybe water in the gas or the carb needs some work.

The only other thing I ever had to work on was the friction drive wheel which I replaced.  My daughter was doing the driveway one year and I think she let the drive slip a bit.

I am curious on what you are having issues with.  I have watched quite a few of the YouTube snow blower maintenance video's and the really are simple devices.

14 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Ariens invented the modern snowblower IIRC... Good Wisconsin company, Mecca of the small engine.

Then there's that douche in Tampa.   Oh wait,  wrong spelling.   That's Arians...

Put drift bars on it:

wp_20150219_001-jpg.42985

Those must be the one you took off your car.

29 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I have a MTD 26", 8 HP which is about 15 years old.  Oddly I am having trouble with it for the first time.  I believe I have something wrong with the gas or the carb.  I did the usual Stabil and in October it started right up.  It still starts up but sometimes going up a slight slope on the driveway it starts dying.  I figure maybe water in the gas or the carb needs some work.

The only other thing I ever had to work on was the friction drive wheel which I replaced.  My daughter was doing the driveway one year and I think she let the drive slip a bit.

I am curious on what you are having issues with.  I have watched quite a few of the YouTube snow blower maintenance video's and the really are simple devices.

Those must be the one you took off your car.

I never use Stabil.  Just keep the tank filled right to top!

Always keep the gas tank full!!! Store it full with fuel! I know it sounds odd... But I've never had a problem.  I do everything to destroy my lawn mower except keep an empty tank.  

https://www.berrymanproducts.com/reasons-to-keep-your-gas-tank-full/

Dirt in the Fuel Tank

"Yes, you read that correctly. Dirt and debris can find their way into your fuel tank over time.

Sounds bad, right? 

When you leave your gas tank partly full — especially for an extended time — it allows for dirt, rust, sediment and other pollutants to build up in your tank and mix with the gasoline. ..."

Condensation & Corrosion

"You leave a water bottle half full in the sun. What happens next? 

>> Answer: It gets condensation in the top of the bottle that then drips down into the bottle. 

The same thing happens in your fuel tank. ..."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.