Refs and bad calls have ramifications

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

nice idea but WTR $

these guys do this “part time” and somehow I don’t think 💰 has much to do about it

They are graded just to make it in the postseason 

Thought I'd had read that every year the bottom 10% are let go.  Or maybe it was 10% turnover, retirees are included so ends up something like 5% retired and 5% were let go for performance??

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Thought I'd had read that every year the bottom 10% are let go.  Or maybe it was 10% turnover, retirees are included so ends up something like 5% retired and 5% were let go for performance??

all I recall is

that the “best” individuals and not the crew get the honors (honours for you foreigners) of refing the playoffs.  

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

all I recall is

that the “best” individuals and not the crew get the honors (honours for you foreigners) of refing the playoffs.  

I'm not talking about playoffs, I'm saying the bottom graded refs have are in a new line of work next fall.  Maybe Friday Night Lights or maybe Brockport state against Buff State  or equivalent 

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'm not talking about playoffs, I'm saying the bottom graded refs have are in a new line of work next fall.  Maybe Friday Night Lights or maybe Brockport state against Buff State  or equivalent 

Sorry

I really don’t care what the worst do.

I’m talking about playoffs.  

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

In a game where we were historically dominant, so nothing they could do even if they were so inclined. I don't trust the zebras in an even match up, but can't do anything about it. If we avoid turnovers, I think we win.

The PI they called (think Wallace?) was a horrible call.  #1 it wasn’t PI, #2 the ball was not catchable.  No non call when they blasted JA out of bounds was a clear roughing the passer penalty that they picked up for god knows what reason was an awful call.  I wouldn’t say the refs were all that great during the game, we just covered up for their ineptitude by destroying the Cheats.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Still makes no sense they break up crews for the playoffs.  Why not keep the team together instead of them having learn to work with each other during the highest pressure moments.

Agreed. If they want an officiating "All-Star" team, then let the All-Star officials work the Pro Bowl. The best football teams go to the playoffs; the same should be true of the officials.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

The PI they called (think Wallace?) was a horrible call.  #1 it wasn’t PI, #2 the ball was not catchable.  No non call when they blasted JA out of bounds was a clear roughing the passer penalty that they picked up for god knows what reason was an awful call.  I wouldn’t say the refs were all that great during the game, we just covered up for their ineptitude by destroying the Cheats.  

Yes, I wasn't actually too interested in a close examination of the game. I was reacting to a claim in a prior post and trying to make a broader point. I do remember some of those instances and I certainly made my usual ineffective protest to the telly which is yet to respond once to my indignation. On the whole, relative to what the Bills usually experience, it wasn't as egregious as it can get. When you have a dominant win, few care. In the one score games, folks remember. I expect the remaining contests will likely be close. Neutral site, metaphysically perfect officiating, I think the Bills win most games. Historical reality, alas, is always messy. Win by two scores to insulate yourself from zebra malpractice.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

I want to say no, it didn’t affect the play, but the Raiders DB clearly gave up on the play before the ball was in the WR’s hands.  

I can’t say it definitively did not affect it. 

This is why I can't believe the officials allowed it to stand, the DB clearly stopped and while a pick was not gonna happen a small tip of ball could have been difference in game. Officials need to be better, though that was clearly not only problem with officials in game 

On 1/17/2022 at 11:23 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Referee Jerome Boger and the crew that worked the AFC wild-card game between the Las Vegas Raidersand Cincinnati Bengals are not expected to officiate again this postseason after their problematic performance Saturday highlighted by a controversial whistle.

Does this mean no "hoading" calls for the rest of the playoffs?

• Haha (+1) 2

On 1/17/2022 at 11:41 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes it was an inadvertent whistle, but had no effect on the play. 

I think it would have still been a touchdown. However, that really is irrelevant. The whistle blew and the play should have not counted.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:35 AM, ßookie_tech said:

Yeah the part-time aspect is a big part of the problem. They need to be full time and this should be their only (main) profession. With the salaries they're paid (I think I heard upwards of $200k), they should have no problem finding well qualified candidates, I wouldn't think. 

hey bookie I hear you and it really does seem logical and a positive forward response to rectifying the glaring issues we see every season in the NFL..maybe not every week but enough to cause concern...The one thought Ive had regarding this issue though is this.... I am not sure if the bad results are of referees / human beings imperfection in vision, OR the view they have when making calls on the field , AND  the  speed at which such plays and subsequent calls need to occur ..its so fast, its imperfect and will be.... THEIR replies need to be fast too..I think its a tough job really....But what I take offense to are the game deciding missed calls/ wrong calls/ debacles like what happened in te playoffs this year, freakin stolen wins...I just wont accept there is NOTHING that cant be done....Im just not so sure that "training, being a full time position" would make a huge difference. I could be wrong. I dont know the answer. I wish I did.

m

Edited by muppy

47 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think it would have still been a touchdown. However, that really is irrelevant. The whistle blew and the play should have not counted.

Don't disagree, but I'm looking at it as what's more egregious, which is replaying the down when he completed a TD pass that wasn't affected by the whistle at all, or  the right call, which is replay the down and maybe only 3 or no points.

A perfect world is that the whistle wasn't blown and it was a TD as it should have been.

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Don't disagree, but I'm looking at it as what's more egregious, which is replaying the down when he completed a TD pass that wasn't affected by the whistle at all, or  the right call, which is replay the down and maybe only 3 or no points.

A perfect world is that the whistle wasn't blown and it was a TD as it should have been.

IMO, it is more egregious to not enforce the rule on one play, but do so on another. The rules are the rules. If a defensive lineman inadvertently runs into a QB and knocks him to the ground after the QB clearly threw a pass that resulted in an interception, should they not enforce the rule because the lineman didn't actually mean to run into the QB and the interception would have happened anyway? 

I would be pissed to see a TD called back in the playoffs on an inadvertent whistle; however, I would have to agree with the call.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.