Refs and bad calls have ramifications

48 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Just look at the two close playoff games…

Dallas loses on a ball spotting issue with the ref.   Dallas’s fault, but refs implicated.  

Raiders lose by a TD.  What happened in that game?.. Refs blew a play dead and then gave the Bengals the TD.  

Worse is the non-highlighted issues.  Hold calls on one team that erase a big play and then a non-call on another team that allows a big play.   We don’t talk about those nationally as much, but that’s when refs dictate games… see TB Diggs, non-holding. 

Hopefully if it’s a close game, we finally get the refs swinging it our way.   

Or… just blow them out.  

I disagree with your thought that Dallas lost because of the refs.  Dallas ran a risky, if not stupid draw, with almost no time left. Dak did not hand the ball to the ref. These were the conditions that lost the game for Dallas at the end … not the refs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I hope we don't get the crew that worked the SF/Dal game.  I felt like they injected themselves into the game too much.  I don't want to notice the referees.   i prefer when the refs call the egregious stuff, but leave the ticky tack crap alone for BOTH sides.

Eh last AFCCG the chiefs won because they held our wrs practically every play, and threw Allen off. Refs need to make those calls this time.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Agree 1

I’m a firm believer that the nfl influences games with officiating. With that being said the bills will be getting calls in a favorable direction. All due to the nfl finally getting what they want from buffalo and building a new stadium. This league is driven by money! 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I disagree with your thought that Dallas lost because of the refs.  Dallas ran a risky, if not stupid draw, with almost no time left. Dak did not hand the ball to the ref. These were the conditions that lost the game for Dallas at the end … not the refs.

I didn’t say they lost because of that.   Just that it involved the refs.  Get in close games and you become vulnerable to them…. Ref is far from the play, doesn’t get to the ball in time, game over.   100% Dallas’s fault.. but they became dependent on someone other than themselves in a close game. 

That happens quite frequently in close NFL games.  Usually in a more non-ridiculous fashion than Dallas running a psychotic play with 14 seconds left.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

In a game where we were historically dominant, so nothing they could do even if they were so inclined. I don't trust the zebras in an even match up, but can't do anything about it. If we avoid turnovers, I think we win.

They allowed that catch (which clearly touched the ground) right before the Pat's FG.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

That and they play an uninspiring, undisciplined game and have many overrated players. Oh and did I mention that even if the ball was spotted they still needed a TD from the 25!

7 minutes ago, ganesh said:

They allowed that catch (which clearly touched the ground) right before the Pat's FG.

(brushes dust off hackneyed phrase)

"In light of your comment, the league has awarded an additional conditional draft pick to the New England Patriots."

(returns phrase to shelf, but at the front)

As long as the human element is involved it will be very hard to get rid of the errant bad call and in this instance it was a bad call but IMHO once the ball left the QB's hand it was to late how can you stop a play after the point of no return ?

If the ball was still in the QB's hand okay but after its gone oh well that needs to be the adjustment made to that rule what if that was a fan in the crowd which it wouldn't surprise me given some of those parents out there that are refs for their kids so we really don't know .

But if they tweaked the rule there would be no fowl even if it was some fan playing their own game or a errant whistle like the one in that game .

I coached several years of my son’s football & basketball games. I never was a ref. I did however learn to be friendly with refs and I almost always felt I got a fair deal. Of course, I always figured elementary and middle school refs are about as good as elementary and middle school players! That keeps your perspective as a coach! 

With NFL refs, my take is they know they are being watched on every play by millions of people, dozens of cameras & almost every call is instantly reviewable.  They also know they are being watched by their spouses, kids, friends, etc. No one wants to screw up in front of everybody they know & love.  I usually get upset at ref calls multiple times every game, but I keep myself from fixating on them because of my previous points. 

2 hours ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

When in doubt...."Just give it to 'em..."

That game could be argued as the ushering in of New England becoming so hated by everyone. The audio of that ref saying that was bone chilling, whether you like the Bills or not. That was wrong on so many levels. 🤬

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Dallas loses on a ball spotting issue with the ref.   Dallas’s fault, but refs implicated.  

Raiders lose by a TD.  What happened in that game?.. Refs blew a play dead and then gave the Bengals the TD.  

From what I saw on a sky cam replay, that ref tried very hard to get to the ball and set it for the next play. He ran hard and could not get by some very large people. I think it was a dumbass play call by Dallas.

Don't think whistle had an effect on the TD; a worse call would have been to call the play over due to the whistle.

• Like (+1) 1

The only thing I pray is we don't get the same crew from last year that let the Chiefs commit defensive holding and illegal contact on virtually every pass play and dare the refs to call it. And they didn't.

Edited by Big Turk

56 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I didn’t say they lost because of that.   Just that it involved the refs.  Get in close games and you become vulnerable to them…. Ref is far from the play, doesn’t get to the ball in time, game over.   100% Dallas’s fault.. but they became dependent on someone other than themselves in a close game. 

That happens quite frequently in close NFL games.  Usually in a more non-ridiculous fashion than Dallas running a psychotic play with 14 seconds left.  

You do realize that the ref has to spot the ball on every play, right?    So, obviously they are dependent on someone else every play...........not just after they do something stupid.

This is very on-brand for you though. :lol:

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

nice idea but WTR $

these guys do this “part time” and somehow I don’t think 💰 has much to do about it

They are graded just to make it in the postseason 

Part time for over $200k a season lol

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Dallas lost because they made one more stupid mistake than SF did. 

😆 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

I hope we don't get the crew that worked the SF/Dal game.  I felt like they injected themselves into the game too much.  I don't want to notice the referees.   i prefer when the refs call the egregious stuff, but leave the ticky tack crap alone for BOTH sides.

I disagree about the Dallas -- SF game's refs.  There were a lot of calls but I thought all or nearly all were correct, and I didn't see any fouls that weren't called.  Dallas is just a sloppy team.  The timing issue at the end of the game was handled about as well as possible, I thought.  It was Dak's stupidity to keep running the extra few yards, wasting a second or two that Dallas couldn't afford to lose.

56 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

Don't think whistle had an effect on the TD; a worse call would have been to call the play over due to the whistle.

As unfair as it would have been to the Bengals, it would have been the RIGHT call to do the play over, according to the rules.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.