Refs and bad calls have ramifications

Referee Jerome Boger and the crew that worked the AFC wild-card game between the Las Vegas Raidersand Cincinnati Bengals are not expected to officiate again this postseason after their problematic performance Saturday highlighted by a controversial whistle.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33078679/jerome-boger-officials-raiders-bengals-game-not-expected-work-again-nfl-postseason

FWIW I think the Bills came away on the good side of the refereeing Saturday 

if not worthy please move or lock 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Referee Jerome Boger and the crew that worked the AFC wild-card game between the Las Vegas Raidersand Cincinnati Bengals are not expected to officiate again this postseason after their problematic performance Saturday highlighted by a controversial whistle.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33078679/jerome-boger-officials-raiders-bengals-game-not-expected-work-again-nfl-postseason

FWIW I think the Bills came away on the good side of the refereeing Saturday 

if not worthy please move or lock 

In a game where we were historically dominant, so nothing they could do even if they were so inclined. I don't trust the zebras in an even match up, but can't do anything about it. If we avoid turnovers, I think we win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

They should be deeply graded after every performance and paid based on grade. I guarantee it would improve. 

nice idea but WTR $

these guys do this “part time” and somehow I don’t think [edit] extra  💰 has much to do about it

They are graded just to make it in the postseason 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

these guys do this “part time” and somehow I don’t think 💰 has much to do about it

Yeah the part-time aspect is a big part of the problem. They need to be full time and this should be their only (main) profession. With the salaries they're paid (I think I heard upwards of $200k), they should have no problem finding well qualified candidates, I wouldn't think. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

They should be deeply graded after every performance and paid based on grade. I guarantee it would improve. 

the laughable refs union would never allow it.  Because, you know, refs need a union.  what a joke.  

This crew should be fined, and barred from doing the playoffs next season also.  That was a joke, they had to know the whistle happened and should have redon the play.  Look, inadvertent whistles happen, I get that, but the cover-up is terrible here.  

1 minute ago, ßookie_tech said:

Yeah the part-time aspect is a big part of the problem. They need to be full time and this should be their only (main) profession. With the salaries they're paid (I think I heard upwards of $200k), they should have no problem finding well qualified candidates, I wouldn't think. 

I disagree on the part-time aspect.  This is not rocket-science.  A lot of these guys are lawyers, doctors, whatever in their daily jobs.  It's one game a week.  Because they are so well paid, they should be fined or fired for making such bad calls (outright lie, really) as happened in the Raiders v. Bengals game.  Everyone heard the whistle.  

• Like (+1) 1

I hope we don't get the crew that worked the SF/Dal game.  I felt like they injected themselves into the game too much.  I don't want to notice the referees.   i prefer when the refs call the egregious stuff, but leave the ticky tack crap alone for BOTH sides.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

They are graded/evaluated after every performance, though pay isn't based on it.

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes it was an inadvertent whistle, but had no effect on the play. 

Probably not, but the Raiders' db clearly stopped short. NFL is sticklers for rules when they want to be. According to rule, should have replayed the down.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

In a game where we were historically dominant, so nothing they could do even if they were so inclined. I don't trust the zebras in an even match up, but can't do anything about it. If we avoid turnovers, I think we win.

Just look at the two close playoff games…

Dallas loses on a ball spotting issue with the ref.   Dallas’s fault, but refs implicated.  

Raiders lose by a TD.  What happened in that game?.. Refs blew a play dead and then gave the Bengals the TD.  

Worse is the non-highlighted issues.  Hold calls on one team that erase a big play and then a non-call on another team that allows a big play.   We don’t talk about those nationally as much, but that’s when refs dictate games… see TB Diggs, non-holding. 

Hopefully if it’s a close game, we finally get the refs swinging it our way.   

Or… just blow them out.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

I understand the inadvertent whistle rule but I am curious about other opinion about that play. 

1.  Do you think it impacted the play?  I did not, the ball was nearly in the WR's hands when I heard the whistle.  I am aware this is not open to interpretation and the call should have been replay.

2.  If this were Diggs in the endzone against KC next week and the same play happens, they call inadvertent whistle and replay the down, resulting in an INT and Bills lose by 3.  Would you feel they got screwed or would you feel the "refs did their job"?

For me, the refs were damned if they do and damned if they dont, I think they knew it blew midplay and thought it had no impact and then "convinced" themselves it was after the catch.....and not reviewable.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, mattynh said:

I understand the inadvertent whistle rule but I am curious about other opinion about that play. 

1.  Do you think it impacted the play?  I did not, the ball was nearly in the WR's hands when I heard the whistle.  I am aware this is not open to interpretation and the call should have been replay.

2.  If this were Diggs in the endzone against KC next week and the same play happens, they call inadvertent whistle and replay the down, resulting in an INT and Bills lose by 3.  Would you feel they got screwed or would you feel the "refs did their job"?

For me, the refs were damned if they do and damned if they dont, I think they knew it blew midplay and thought it had no impact and then "convinced" themselves it was after the catch.....and not reviewable.  

Plausible and if second scenario, I am livid. Inadvertent whistle suddenly becomes a new way to take away a good play, etc.

3 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I want to say no, it didn’t affect the play, but the Raiders DB clearly gave up on the play before the ball was in the WR’s hands.  

I can’t say it definitively did not affect it. 

• Like (+1) 1

The refs for the most part are failures but what’s worse is the league office fails as well even with the control room. Then you have them putting out a statement built on a lie and three days later everyone forgets it.

The system is so broken but there’s too much money and it’s too popular for anyone to actually do anything about it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

nice idea but WTR $

these guys do this “part time” and somehow I don’t think 💰 has much to do about it

They are graded just to make it in the postseason 

Any grading system that determines Jerome Boger is one of the best qualified to officiate a playoff game needs a major overhaul!

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.