Dallas Cowboys fans throw trash at the refs after heartbreaking NFL playoff loss; Dak Prescott says 'credit to them'

Bogie_Klinkhammer

I love it when ever the Cowboys lose in a bigger game like the play offs plus there is a perk to it it shuts up Micheal Irvin !! 

He was talking crap all last week on ho the Boys were going to win I'm so glad & can't wait to here his excuses on why .

The only thing better than the Bills meeting Tampa in a SB & beating Brady would be them meeting the Cowboys in 1 or 2 & blowing them out ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

It's still  bad play. If you want to use the middle of the field and then spike and have one shot at the EZ the worst way to do it is with a play where your QB who then needs to organise the formation is the ball carrier and has to scramble himself up off the floor. 

Not to mention that the WR can get off the line way faster than the QB in shotgun, and the ball can be delivered by air way faster than carrying it there.

It probably didn't matter anyways, but the hubris and stupidity of the way they chose to do it was beyond the pale.

• Agree 1

So it's 13 seconds to get a FG off in time. That assumes no times outs and it's 4th down.

...but only about 10 seconds to get a spike off if you have a down to waste.

Replay:

McCarthy called a draw at the 40yd line with 14s on the clock.

At 10s Dak was at the 34.

Dak gets to the 24yd line and slides with 9s left.

Official finally gets to the ball at 3s,

--->and moves from 23yd to 24yd forcing Dak and the center to back up.

Official backs out, clearing the line with 1s left.

Dak snaps the ball with 0:00 on the clock,

--->a good half second late, but can be overlooked, however... flag: illegal snap: game over

-1s later the whistle blows to start play

--->(early in favor of cowboys, official wasn't in position)

• To make it even worse, Dak was the one that got in the way of the official trying to get to the ball to snap it.
  • Dak and the center assumed they could place it themselves. The announcers actually accuse the official of "getting in the way."
  • Also, the center actually moves the ball forward from where it was placed, otherwise the entire Oline would be Offside.
  • The official backs behind the Dlinemen, instead of behind the QB (where he belongs), in an effort to give Dal more time.

Edited by unbillievable

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's still a bad play. If you want to use the middle of the field and then spike and have one shot at the EZ the worst way to do it is with a play where your QB who then needs to organise the formation is the ball carrier and has to scramble himself up off the floor. 

The execution was incredibly bad. Like you mention it probably should never have been a sneak. A quick slant for 10 yards works better and quicker. Only thing I can think that sneak works better is the QB is in complete control of when he goes down and no defensive player can lay on top of him to waste time if he slides

The idea behind it I believe is right though. Getting inside the 30 would have been huge for 1 last play

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's still a bad play. If you want to use the middle of the field and then spike and have one shot at the EZ the worst way to do it is with a play where your QB who then needs to organise the formation is the ball carrier and has to scramble himself up off the floor. 

Right, it's not unknown in those circumstances for a defensive player to lie down on the runner and "struggle" to get to his feet.  Edit: yes I know it's the QB and the defensive player can't just throw himself on him, it has to be more subtle.  But it can still be done.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

In your case, done with the utmost respect.  Some of these cement heads get a righteous and deserved  'dope slap'.

Although improbable, you only need worry if I threaten:

1. A strong letter to 'The Times'.

2. You see me heading for Speakers' Corner at High Park.

It's Hyde Park. They renamed it after the interception on Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The Cowboys were awfully coached, completely undisciplined and poorly Quarterbacked last night. Their offensive line was atrocious and their big name playmakers dropped balls.

I expected the 49ers to win. I thought they would beat Dallas. In the end I am not sure they did. Dallas beat themselves. 

McCarthy's seat should already be smouldering hot going into next season (in the event he isn't fired today) but as for all those people who wanted to interview Kellen Moore? Really?? There was one young hotshot in a headset in that game last night I'd consider as my next coach if I had a vacancy but that was DeMeco Ryans. He did a hell of a job even as his best players fell like flies.

You just want Black Monday to never end, you sick, sick man.

• Haha (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

So it's 13 seconds to get the field goal off in time. That assumes no times outs and it's 4th down.

...but only about 10 seconds to get a spike off if you have a down to waste.

Replay:

McCarthy called a draw at the 40yd line with 14s on the clock. At 10s Dak was at the 34.

Dak gets to the 24yd line and slides with 9s left.

Official finally gets to the ball at 3s, and moves from 23yd to 24yd forcing cowboys and Dak to back up.

Official backs up, clearing the line with 1s left.

Dak snaps the ball with 0:00 on the clock, a good half second late, but can be overlooked, however... flag: illegal snap: game over

-1s later the whistle blows to start play (early in favor of cowboys, official wasn't in position)

• To make it even worse, Dak was the one that got in the way of the official trying to get to the ball to snap it.
  • Dak and the center assumed they could place it themselves. The announcers actually accuse the official of "getting in the way."
  • Also, the center actually moves the ball forward from where it was placed, otherwise the entire Oline would be Offside.

Yeah, that was incredibly unaware play from Dak, not realizing that the official MUST place the ball.

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

It's already settled science that it takes 13 seconds to set and snap a ball with the clock running.

That takes into account that the refs are slow to spot the ball, get into position and blow the whistle.

Anyone know if that was a called play or just Dak being stupid?

According to the link in the OP, "In his press conference after the game, Prescott said the intended play was something he and his teammates had practiced.

"We've practiced it," Prescott said. "You hand it to the center. The umpire, all he has to do is usually come in and tap the ball. Don't necessarily know exactly ... why the hit (with the official) happened, I guess. Yeah, I know he's going to come in and touch the ball. We could say, 'Yeah, he needs to be closer to the ball,' or whatever, but in hindsight, it's just tough. Just tough to accept."

Just now, Steve O said:

According to the link in the OP, "In his press conference after the game, Prescott said the intended play was something he and his teammates had practiced.

"We've practiced it," Prescott said. "You hand it to the center. The umpire, all he has to do is usually come in and tap the ball. Don't necessarily know exactly ... why the hit (with the official) happened, I guess. Yeah, I know he's going to come in and touch the ball. We could say, 'Yeah, he needs to be closer to the ball,' or whatever, but in hindsight, it's just tough. Just tough to accept."

Not only did they call that stupid play, they practiced it? Hahahaha....

1) They're assuming that they can place the ball themselves

2) They're assuming that a ref is nearby

3) They're assuming that the defense will let him up quickly (they did)

4) They're assuming that the ref will rush to get the ball set (they did)

5) Dak still ran the play wrong because he slid 2s too late.

32 minutes ago, Steve O said:

This is assuming the ref accepts the team's spot of the ball.   If Dak "knows he's going to come in and touch the ball" he and his teammates should make it easy for the ref, not force the ref to shove him aside.

Maybe that's how it always was for McCarthy, but other teams do have the refs approving the spot of the ball and adjusting as necessary.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401326629

Kemp said in a pool report George was trailing the play at a proper distance and acted appropriately to get the ball spotted correctly. The umpire has to touch the ball before another play can happen.

Kemp said the decision that the snap came after the clock had expired was made on the field, not on a replay assist from New York.

“The umpire was simply spotting the ball properly,” Kemp said. “He collided with the players as he was setting the ball because he was moving it to the proper spot.”

SB nation did a good piece about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-cowboys-chaotic-final-play-can-be-blamed-on-everything-but-the-refs/ar-AASRqXa

While an umpire running into a QB as the final seconds ticked away makes it seem like the Cowboys were jobbed by the refs, broadcaster (and former Cowboys QB) Tony Romo astutely pointed out on the broadcast that the ref has to the touch the ball. Prescott didn’t seem to realize this, and apparently intended to call hike without the ref’s necessary participation. Maybe we should be crediting the ref for doing everything he could to fight over Prescott to touch the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Steve O said:

14 penalties on the cowboys and they blame it all on the final whistle ...dumb

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.