Bates: "I'm a f***n chicken wing" and other Wild Card highlights in a great Ringer article ...

Commish

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I noticed on that play Feliciano was in.  Was wondering who he was playing for?  Bates was there, was he in for Williams due to injury, Morse?   Or was it at point they were playing some of the subs already?

Was Mongo in as an extra-  extra- OLman?  All the starters but Morse got 100% of the snaps, and Morse got 95% and only came out when Josh Allen did.

But Feliciano played 9% (2 more than that) and Doyle played 20% (11).  Even Cody Ford got a few snaps.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Cannot believe McD would have rather have had the type of OLine play we had to save Bates for emergency rather than plug him in and have them playing the way they have been the past several weeks. He was the key to the OLine all along with his ability to combo block and pass guys off properly.

I’d think this would be more on the position coach than the HC since he works much more closely with the players. When Bates went in and McD saw the effectiveness of the OL, no doubt he’d overrule any attempts to put Ford or Feliciano back in there.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Was Mongo in as an extra-  extra- OLman?  All the starters but Morse got 100% of the snaps, and Morse got 95% and only came out when Josh Allen did.

But Feliciano played 9% (2 more than that) and Doyle played 20% (11).  Even Cody Ford got a few snaps.

Wasn't Doyle in as the extra lineman, or was he in as 2nd TE plus 6 lineman??  that would account for 9 out of 11 including Allen, not many room for many others left.

47 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’d think this would be more on the position coach than the HC since he works much more closely with the players. When Bates went in and McD saw the effectiveness of the OL, no doubt he’d overrule any attempts to put Ford or Feliciano back in there.

I have the impression that Bobby Johnson is one of those position coaches who is very much "My Way or The Highway" as far as the blocking techniques he wants the OLmen to use.

I thought Feliciano was one of "his guys" brought in from Oakland to teach his blocking techniques (at least he's better than Vlad Ducasse) but when I looked it up, it turns out that Bobby Johnson was actually the TE coach while he was with Oakland.

Anyway, my impression is that Feliciano and Boettger demonstrate his desired get-nose-to-nose, flat technique better in practice and the fact that they get smoked too often in games ....well...

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I noticed on that play Feliciano was in.  Was wondering who he was playing for?  Bates was there, was he in for Williams due to injury, Morse?   Or was it at point they were playing some of the subs already?

He was an extra o lineman per Murphy on the call

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think I saw him come in at times when they went heavy front.  I will have to validate that and that it wasnt always Doyle.  But I have been waiting since Felciano has been back to take over the LG spot, and hasnt happened always has been Boettger or Bates.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Especially because Ike sucks.  He’s worse than Mongo imo

💯

Except he isnt.  Felciano has been Horrible this year (with the weight loss aspect) and he wasnt good last year either

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I think I saw him come in at times when they went heavy front.  I will have to validate that and that it wasnt always Doyle.  But I have been waiting since Felciano has been back to take over the LG spot, and hasnt happened always has been Boettger or Bates.

Doyle was obviously also in so unless Doyle was in as TE#2 and they also went with 6 O-lineman.  Or maybe Knox was out and Doyle was only TE plus six lineman??  Or Williams was out?

OK just read Yoloin's post above of the audio.  Sounds like they went with 7 lineman.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Doyle was obviously also in so unless Doyle was in as TE#2 and they also went with 6 O-lineman.  Or maybe Knox was out and Doyle was only TE plus six lineman??  Or Williams was out?

Yeah not sure will have to eventually watch the game again focusing on OL and Numbers in.  to see where and when Feliciano hit the field. 

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was an extra o lineman per Murphy on the call

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah not sure will have to eventually watch the game again focusing on OL and Numbers in.  to see where and when Feliciano hit the field. 

Per Yoloin's post of the audio, they went with 7 lineman, normal five plus Mongo and Doyle.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Except he isnt.  Felciano has been Horrible this year (with the weight loss aspect) and he wasnt good last year either

Who ever said Mongo was good?  Certainly not I.  He’s always been a bum imo.  I said better than Ike.  Ike, like Mongo….,sucked both years as well

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

This narrative is getting old.   Regardless of what McD may have said to be polite to Bates, he's is not insane.  I'm sure McD's intention was always to put his best five out there.  

I wonder if McD even decides the starting five.  I would suspect that decision is Daboll's - with input from others.  

I've said this a few times myself.  Bobby Johnson and the Run and Pass Coordinators and Daboll are the guys deciding that.

Of course they can be overruled by McDermott.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Who ever said Mongo was good?  Certainly not I.  He’s always been a bum imo.  I said better than Ike.  Ike, like Mongo….,sucked both years as well

Ahhh mis-read and therefore misunderstood.  I completely agree with you on both areas that Bates is better than both Ike and Mongo.  And that Ike isnt good enough and why I think we needed two OGs in the offseason.  Bates emergence now has me thinking I not longer need 2 starters, and With how WIlliams has been as well for the past 5 weeks I might not even need another OG starter, but I think I still would like to replace williams right now.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Thought he actually played better last year when he filled in for Morse at center for a few games.

I thought he was fine at Center, and why I was ok with the re-signing to play Center as well.  But this year he has highly regressed.

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ahhh mis-read and therefore misunderstood.  I completely agree with you on both areas that Bates is better than both Ike and Mongo.  And that Ike isnt good enough and why I think we needed two OGs in the offseason.  Bates emergence now has me thinking I not longer need 2 starters, and With how WIlliams has been as well for the past 5 weeks I might not even need another OG starter, but I think I still would like to replace williams right now.

Yeah, it’s been a roller coaster of play along the OL this year. We’ve lost a few games solely on the OL imo.  I figured we needed 2 new guards and center (if Morse retired.) this coming offseason.  Now I’m wondering if we can just run it back with the same 5 while drafting a future C and RG while plugging Bates in @ LG (we’ll have to resign him to do so, he’s a RFA).  

still unsure.  Hopefully Beane gets it right.

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Ike is exactly what you want for a #3 or #4 OG, imo. 

No he isn't.   You want the #3 guard to be pushing the starters, if they get hurt or play poorly you want no drop off with #3 in there.  Ike's run blocking is terrible.  He is not athletic at all.  

For a #4 you want a guy that can also center and be versatile.  Ike is not that either but Feliciano is.  

Ike can and should be upgraded and I would like to see the Bills find a stud OG in the next draft.  

Edited by Bob in STL

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

No he isn't.   You want the #3 guard to be pushing the starters, if they get hurt or play poorly you want no drop off with #3 in there.  Ike's run blocking is terrible.  He is not athletic at all.  

For a #4 you want a guy that can also center and be versatile.  Ike is not that either but Feliciano is.  

Ike can and should be upgraded and I would like to see the Bills find a stud OG in the next draft.  

Fair enough.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Thought he actually played better last year when he filled in for Morse at center for a few games.

Agreed.  I thought he was much better @ c than @ guard.  If Morse does step away, I could see him taking over for a year, but in the ideal world as Bills fans, we won’t ever see Mongo on the field again, except celebrating after the SB.  

Mongo, if you’re reading this…..I think you’re a good dude and I’d walk down an alley with you any night…..but 17 is too valuable and your play just hasn’t been good enough 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.