Bates: "I'm a f***n chicken wing" and other Wild Card highlights in a great Ringer article ...

Commish

I remember reading camp reports about Bates a couple years back when he joined the team that there was inside chatter about the Bills brass being hopeful about his prospects for being a big contributor to the team and how they loved his versatility.    It somewhat surprised me that he kept getting overlooked and surpassed by other interior lineman for any of the starting roles and now that he has gotten his chance he is playing as well as any interior lineman we have had in a while.

He’s been a revelation, he is very mobile and is an excellent pulling guard and seems to hold his own at the point of attack.     I don’t know if this is just a great 5-6 game stretch where he is playing above what he is or if this is what we should come to expect.  If this is the level of play that he can continue then he could be the long-term starter.    

The offensive line right now is playing at a very high level, which I believe is one of the big reasons the Bills are in their 5 game win streak.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 14

58 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Took Felcianos job after Ike took Felicianos job and isn’t looking back. 

sad it took an Ike injury for him to get his shot. 

Cannot believe McD would have rather have had the type of OLine play we had to save Bates for emergency rather than plug him in and have them playing the way they have been the past several weeks. He was the key to the OLine all along with his ability to combo block and pass guys off properly.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Cannot believe McD would have rather have had the type of OLine play we had to save Bates for emergency rather than plug him in and have them playing the way they have been the past several weeks. He was the key to the OLine all along with his ability to combo block and pass guys off properly.

We'll see if he looks better against Chris Jones that Feliciano did last year. That would be a big help next week.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I noticed on that play Feliciano was in.  Was wondering who he was playing for?  Bates was there, was he in for Williams due to injury, Morse?   Or was it at point they were playing some of the subs already?

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Especially because Ike sucks.  He’s worse than Mongo imo

40 minutes ago, vincec said:

We'll see if he looks better against Chris Jones that Feliciano did last year. That would be a big help next week.

💯 

54 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This narrative is getting old.   Regardless of what McD may have said to be polite to Bates, he's is not insane.  I'm sure McD's intention was always to put his best five out there.  

I wonder if McD even decides the starting five.  I would suspect that decision is Daboll's - with input from others.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The OL this year has been the most insane 180. The liability of the team the literally prevented us from being anything but one dimensional. Now the basis for a decent running game that gives other teams pause. And the fact that they're pulling their stuff together at the right time is flipping awesome.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

This narrative is getting old.   Regardless of what McD may have said to be polite to Bates, he's is not insane.  I'm sure McD's intention was always to put his best five out there.  

I wonder if McD even decides the starting five.  I would suspect that decision is Daboll's - with input from others.  

Just because you "think" that's your best starting five doesn't mean it actually is. We are talking about the same guy who though benching Tyrod for Peterman was a great idea.

Sometimes a guy who never gets an opportunity to show what he can do in games plays exceptionally well once he does, which is the case with Bates.

Moreso than him just playing well in a vacuum, he plays exceptionally well in tandem with the other lineman in regards to picking up stunts, T-E games, passing players off, pulling, etc...it is no accident the Bills have turned into one of the best rushing teams in the NFL since he has been in there, averaging over 163 yards a game in their last 6 games and over 192 yards a game in their last 3.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Winner: The Billdo Toss

Bills fans have earned a reputation for doing a lot of things that don’t make a lot of sense. They like leaping through tailgating tables, sentencing perfectly good furniture to death to demonstrate their fandom. They believed that Josh Allen could become a good quarterback, even though the rest of us thought he was doomed. And then, of course, there is the story of one particular item that makes an annual journey from the bedroom to the football field. I’m talking, of course, of the Bills *****.

Western New York’s favorite sex apparatus made its appearance Saturday night after a Kendrick Bourne touchdown that cut Buffalo’s lead from 30 to 23. After scoring, Bourne noticed the ***** on the ground in the end zone, and pointed it out to an official. (What did he want the ref to do? Throw a flag for ineligible manhood downfield?) 

The ***** toss has become an annual tradition in Buffalo, dating back to 2016. The initial ***** tosser claims there wasn’t much logic behind it—he had bought the ***** for a Saturday-night costume party, and decided the next morning that it belonged with the Patriots. He’s been banned from the stadium, but that hasn’t prevented others from following in his footsteps. The Flying of the Phalluses now happens every single time the Bills play the Patriots.

It is a baffling tradition. How do these fans get the dildos past stadium security? (Dildoes? If it were Italian, the plural would be dildi, but I don’t know the etymology here.) Are the dildos used or bought specifically for the purpose of throwing them on the field? Why only against the Patriots? Is there any symbolism here? Are they implying the Patriots are dildos? Are they saying New England needs to go screw themselves? Or is it just a ***** for dildos’ sake?

Regardless, the Bills ***** Toss has become an iconic symbol of one of the best fan bases in football, and their uphill battle to seize control of a formerly one-sided rivalry. All their irrational behavior has paid off. All those tables died so Bills Mafia could watch their beautiful centaur of a QB lead Buffalo to glory, soaring past the Patriots through a cascade of dildos raining down from the stands. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.