Divisional Round: Buffalo at KC Sunday at 6:30

Process

20 minutes ago, beebe said:

The Bills also played a good chunk of these teams in bad weather. There is no doubt that Buffalo's defense is overrated. Most advanced models that you see aren't going to account for the fact that the Bills played backup QBs or in horrific weather like the first Bills-Pats game. That said, you can still be a very good defense while being overrated, and the Bills are a very good defense. If you put the other 30 teams up against the Jets in Week 18, same exact weather and situation, no other team would have tied the Jets down as well as Buffalo did. 

Also, if Buffalo's defense is overrated in part due to weather, then the reverse is surely to be true: Buffalo's offense is underrated. 

And that is what I have said.  No idea really about this defense.  The concerns are:

1.  They did not get too many sacks
  2. Allowed some big plays (runs particularly)
  3. Bend, don't break may not be good enough vs. Mahomes
  4. Third & Fourth down (saw it vs. NE)
  5. Beat up on bad/rookie/green QBs
  6. A lot of bad weather games

Hope they hold KC <30, because I think the Offense can score (and will need to) over that.

There have been a few "who would you rather have - Mahomes or Allen?" discussions among the pundits this week.

Each time, the answer is Mahomes. Which I have no issue with, but the reasoning is generally that they have the same skillsets and ability, but Mahomes improvises when a play breaks down and creates something, while Allen generally doesn't.

To repeat:  the reasoning is generally that they have the same skillsets and ability, but Mahomes improvises when a play breaks down and creates something, while Allen generally doesn't.

I don't think people actually watch games.

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Success said:

To repeat:  the reasoning is generally that they have the same skillsets and ability, but Mahomes improvises when a play breaks down and creates something, while Allen generally doesn't.

Literally every Allen jailbreak is "call the ambulance, but not for me!"

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

There have been a few "who would you rather have - Mahomes or Allen?" discussions among the pundits this week.

Each time, the answer is Mahomes. Which I have no issue with, but the reasoning is generally that they have the same skillsets and ability, but Mahomes improvises when a play breaks down and creates something, while Allen generally doesn't.

I wonder, from a physical or skill standpoint, besides deep ball accuracy, what does Mahomes have over Allen? Field vision? I think they’re similar there. Anticipation/throwing receivers open? Slight edge Mahomes? What else?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

I wonder, from a physical or skill standpoint, besides deep ball accuracy, what does Mahomes have over Allen? Field vision? I think they’re similar there. Anticipation/throwing receivers open? Slight edge Mahomes? What else?

I can be very biased at times, but I try to be objective on this one. I just don't see anything that Mahomes really has over Allen. And I love Mahomes as a player.

There is a lot of built-in bias against Allen based on what people thought of him at the time of the draft, and in his 1st 2 seasons.  Mahomes can make a mistake and it's just normal QB error; Josh can make a mistake & it's a "regression."  We actually saw that firsthand in the regular season game.  Mahomes overthrew someone, and the announcers talked about the wind & conditions being the factor. Allen did the same, and it was like, "this is the knock on Allen - he still makes those errors and has the inconsistency."

I would never trade Allen for Mahomes. To me, Allen is just better.  He has every aspect of the game.  Mahomes was the same guy his 1st full season as he is now.  Allen's trajectory is a diagonal line going up, and we don't know where it lands yet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Success said:

Bills fans would never trade Allen for Mahomes and Chiefs fans would never trade Mahomes for Allen, and that’s the way it should be…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Per Football Outsiders https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-efficiency/2021/totals

Updated DVOA (regular season and playoffs combined) with weighted DVOA (most recent games) for remaining playoff teams:

1254832726_21DVOAplayoffsadjusted(2).thumb.jpg.1a59d75c296f855bcc258272aa26317f.jpg

Highest road DVOA (offense and defense) for regular season (no weighted DVOA for these)

1563776147_2021roadoffenseanddefenseDVOA.thumb.jpg.722a2557665bf478c1d1b372231a10d1.jpg

Edited by billsfan1959

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Mahomes has better deep ball accuracy.  That's it.  

He's elite, but when compared to other elite QB's, Hill/Kelce has to be factored in.   Yes, Allen has Diggs/Knox and a very strong WR rotation.  Rodgers has a running game and Adams.  Herbert has big, physical WR's and Ekeler.  Burrow has an elite WR trio and Mixon.  Nobody else has what Mahomes has in terms the most difficult WR & TE to defend.  

Mahomes deserves a ton of credit.  He's absolutely elite.  However, Hill & Kelce are what drives that Offense.  They either dominate, or open up everything else for the other guys.  

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Mahomes has better deep ball accuracy.  That's it.  

He's elite, but when compared to other elite QB's, Hill/Kelce has to be factored in.   Yes, Allen has Diggs/Knox and a very strong WR rotation.  Rodgers has a running game and Adams.  Herbert has big, physical WR's and Ekeler.  Burrow has an elite WR trio and Mixon.  Nobody else has what Mahomes has in terms the most difficult WR & TE to defend.  

Mahomes deserves a ton of credit.  He's absolutely elite.  However, Hill & Kelce are what drives that Offense.  They either dominate, or open up everything else for the other guys.  

Hill, Kelce, and also Andy Reed.  I am NOT saying Mahomes is not elite.  He is.  But there is a certain amount of QB inflation when playing for Reed.  Just look at what quarterbacks have done with vs without him (Smith, Kolb, etc.)

• Agree 1

I loved how our Bills were the “bully” this past Sunday. They never took the foot off the pedal and kept scoring. The teams that often win it all have that cut throat mentality. As Hans Gruber said in Die Hard, “hit it (chiefs) again”

1 minute ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

KC fans have become what Pats were….is this inevitable for every team fan when success arrives?  Fans weren’t like this in the 90’s. There was much more mutual respect between fans. At least in my experience. 

Even 90s Cowboys fans?

58 minutes ago, Success said:

Really the only basis to try to claim Mahomes is better is that he has a ring, and two SB outings.  Purely skillset-wise and statistically, they are nearly even with an edge to Allen IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.