Divisional Round: Buffalo at KC Sunday at 6:30

Process

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He sorta said it at the end but he should’ve lead with it. Never blitz and play coverage. Doesn’t have to be zone, 2 man and 1 robber were great week 5. Will they be this time, I hope.

Most worried about the cheetah as we lost tre, little worried how good mahomes has been spreading it around, oddly confident about guarding Kelce which is the thing I most hope carries   over from week 5. 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I mean McDermott isn't exactly going to say what he's planning to do, but if anyone can do it it's these guys.

I think it’s a no blitzes game again.  I think blitz rate is inversely correlated with point differential in our last 3 games (small sample size I know). Question is can our pressure rate maintain?  If so I think that will get us off the field on a few 3rd and longs. Hopefully steal a possession or two. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Had anyone else heard this?

They talked about it this morning with Howard and Jeremy when they had Sal C. on.

A caller later called in and said he had "sources" that reported that Belichick was saying nice things and complimenting McDermott and Josh Allen on nice games.

I guess he was in there for a while according to the original source.

• Like (+1) 1

Somewhat forgotten in the October Chiefs-Bills game is that from an offensive standpoint, the Chiefs early on were doing essentially what they did to the Bills in the two 2020 meetings.

• KC's first drive was 17 plays, 56 yards and used up 6:30 of clock and led to a field goal. Chiefs had it 2nd-and-7 at Buffalo's 14-yd line before a false start and a pair of incompletions.
  • Buffalo responded with a quick TD. KC fumbled kickoff. Bills were forced to punt.
  • KC's second drive was 12 plays, 80 yards, took 8 mins off the clock and ended with a TD.

So one-third of the way into the game, the Chiefs held a 10-7 lead, ran 29 plays for 116 yards, and maintained possession for 14:30 out of a possible 20 mins (despite the KO return turnover.) I maintain that this no-blitz, force them to dink-and-dunk strategy is the best for the Bills. True, it didn't work in either game in 2020. But the breaks went Buffalo's way this time. KC's yards per play on those 29 plays was 4 yards. Their biggest gains were 15 yards (two to Tyreek, one to Kelce.) That's pretty good defense! And the Bills were able to get them off the field a handful of times the rest of the game—though to be fair, KC's self destruction (and bad luck) was a major factor. 

A few caveats to note however: 

• In October, Mahomes was still playing super aggressive and was trying to push the ball downfield any chance he got. Since midseason, the Chiefs have gotten very good at playing these conservative no-blitz defenses and they've sustained drives largely without the mistakes that plagued them early in 2021. 
  • In October, KC's completely rebuilt offensive line was still working out the kinks. It wasn't known until after, but Joe Thuney played almost the entire game with a broken hand. 
  • In October, the Bills had Tre White; this time they obviously don't. The Bills can overcome his absence but it is a tough blow.
  • In October, the Chiefs weren't getting as much out of their quick pass game to RBs and receivers. Over the last few months, we've seen Darrel Williams excel as a pass catcher out of the backfield; we've seen increased quick passes and jet sweeps to Mecole Hardman, who is scary with the ball in his hands; and against the Steelers, McKinnon had a breakout performance and flashed what he can do out of the backfield and as a pass catcher.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Bills do defensively. I think they should stick with what they've done and hope that turnover variance and penalty variance swings in their favor. The downside though is that this strategy significantly shortens the game (see KC's long drives above, and also back in some of the 2020 games), and if Buffalo falls behind early, it creates quite a bit of pressure on the offense to be perfect.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, CapeBreton said:

I’m glad to see Clyde Edwards-Helaire back at practice, I think he’s an average RB at best. Hope he’s in there more than McKinnon and Darrell Williams. Hard to believe they drafted CEH over the likes of Jonathan Taylor and D’andre Swift.

Agree, Chiefs are far scarier with McKinnon in the backfield than CEH. He brings more speed and explosiveness to the table and he lines up all over.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Hot take,  i think the Bills either kill Kansas City...by 17+ points,  or they just lose.  I don't think it's going to be a close Bills win (i.e. by 6 or fewer).  

Not to sound condescending, but…

This is how the entire season has gone. We lead the league in point differential and are also 0-5 in single possession games (with one big loss to Indy).  The 2021-22 Bills haven’t won a single close game. 

• Like (+1) 3

I know this is getting ahead of myself but this post season has the ability to exercise all of the bills demons 

Super wild card weekend: Pats ✔

Divisional round: Chiefs - current rival

Conference championship: Titans - music City miracle

Super Bowl: bucs (Brady)

Edited by Cheektowaga Chad
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I know this is getting ahead of myself but this post season has the ability to exercise all of the bills demons 

Super wild card weekend: Pats ✔

Divisional round: Chiefs - current rival

Conference championship: Titans - music City miracle

Super Bowl: bucs (Brady)

Exorcise. We don't want the demons getting any exercise.

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.