Divisional Round: Buffalo at KC Sunday at 6:30

Process

5 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

TV pairings .. so officially we get Nantz and Romo .. I like Eagle and Davis but either is better than the Fox or NBC crews.

- Cincinnati Bengals at Tennessee Titans on CBS/Paramount+: Ian Eagle, Charles Davis and Evan Washburn

Saturday, 8:15 p.m. ET

- San Francisco 49ers at Green Bay Packers on FOX: Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Erin Andrews and Tom Rinaldi

Sunday, 3 p.m. ET

- Los Angeles Rams at Tampa Bay Buccaneers on NBC/Peacock: Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth and Michelle Tafoya

Sunday, 6:30 p.m. ET

- Buffalo Bills at Kansas City Chiefs on CBS/Paramount+: Jim Nantz, Tony Romo, Tracy Wolfson and Jay Feely

I love Romo games.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, arcane said:

Rewatched the 14 min highlight video of Bills Chiefs week 5. 

Boy, I forgot how much the chiefs got away with, and how many flags came to save a bunch of their drives after failed 3rd downs. And i now remember chiefs fans and ***** Collinsworth melting down because of the roughing the passer call on Josh's hail mary punt from the end zone, when josh was literally picked up and pile-driven into the ground. 

I guess I'd better brace myself for that horsesh*t from zebras and fans on Sunday. 

Bills can still win. 

For anyone saying that RTP call was weak, just look at the reverse angle (which was never shown on the NBC broadcast).

5qjeq3.gif

18 minutes ago, TPS said:

Ha! Faster than lil’ dirty! That should make for some interesting ***** talk @ practices this week. 

Faster than Tyreek Hill too...guess we shouldn't switch McKenzie to corner this week, we should move Josh :)

FJZR7KvWQAYsN7n?format=jpg&name=medium

• Haha (+1) 5

22 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

TV pairings .. so officially we get Nantz and Romo .. I like Eagle and Davis but either is better than the Fox or NBC crews.

- Cincinnati Bengals at Tennessee Titans on CBS/Paramount+: Ian Eagle, Charles Davis and Evan Washburn

- San Francisco 49ers at Green Bay Packers on FOX: Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Erin Andrews and Tom Rinaldi

Sunday, 3 p.m. ET

- Los Angeles Rams at Tampa Bay Buccaneers on NBC/Peacock: Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth and Michelle Tafoya

- Buffalo Bills at Kansas City Chiefs on CBS/Paramount+: Jim Nantz, Tony Romo, Tracy Wolfson and Jay Feely

<rant on> Joe Buck ALWAYS saying "and that's the Hall of Famer, Troy Aikman" is like nails on a chalk board for me.  Yeah Joe we know.  Yeah I'm still bitter.  I admit it.  But Aikman broadcasts like he never made mistakes on the field.  How quickly he forgets/ignores on how absolutely brutal he was as a rookie (0-11).   And when you compare his stats to guys like Mahomes, Allen, Brady and Rodgers, he can't hold their jock straps.  If he wasn't gifted a great OLINE, Michael and especially Emitt, he would be Baker Mayfield.  His best statistical year was 3400 yards passing, 23 TDs and 14 Ints. <rant off>

I now bring you back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Sunday, 3 p.m. ET

May all the strength be with Rams fans. Who have to listen to a broadcast of Collinsworth drooling over Brady. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, wjag said:

<rant on> Joe Buck ALWAYS saying "and that's the Hall of Famer, Troy Aikman" is like nails on a chalk board for me.  Yeah Joe we know.  Yeah I'm still bitter.  I admit it.  But Aikman broadcasts like he never made mistakes on the field.  How quickly he forgets/ignores on how absolutely brutal he was as a rookie (0-11).   And when you compare his stats to guys like Mahomes, Allen, Brady and Rodgers, he can't hold their jock straps.  If he wasn't gifted a great OLINE, Michael and especially Emitt, he would be Baker Mayfield.  His best statistical year was 3400 yards passing, 23 TDs and 14 Ints. <rant off>

I now bring you back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Disagree strongly!  Aikman was a terrific QB who absolutely belongs in the HOF. The numbers you quote are not relevant to his being in the hall. It was a different era for these kinds of things. And his rookie season was no different than Peyton Manning‘s rookie season. I have to wonder if you ever saw him play. If Mayfield was the Dallas quarterback back then they would not have won anything let alone a couple of Super Bowls.

However he is a boring color analyst

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Disagree strongly!  Aikman was a terrific QB who absolutely belongs in the HOF. The numbers you quote are not relevant to his being in the hall. It was a different era for these kinds of things. And his rookie season was no different than Peyton Manning‘s rookie season. I have to wonder if you ever saw him play. If Mayfield was the Dallas quarterback back then they would not have won anything let alone a couple of Super Bowls.

However he is a boring color analyst

Of course I watched him.  It was John Madden's game seemingly every week.  I never said he doesn't belong in the HOF. I said we don't need to open EVERY broadcast with that reminder.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, eball said:

You said the Bills D will need to "take a lot of chances" and you are 100% wrong.  That is not at all how the Bills defense plays; it's not how they played the Chefs in October and it won't be how they play them Sunday night.

Exactly, spot on. The Bills' defense will execute a plan that will force Mahomes to take a lot of chances.

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

FWIW

DVOA Rankings of playoff teams for the Regular Season (Weighted DVOA is adjustment to reflect how the team has played in most recent games):

716922986_2021DVOARegSeason.thumb.jpg.39115a7c7d08f49ad6cac979cc8f0666.jpg

DVOA Rankings of playoff teams for Regular Season and 1st Round of Playoffs:

1503245953_2021DVOARegSeasonandPO.thumb.jpg.8e888902761ded408a9734c96699bbf9.jpg

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-efficiency/2021/regular

Thanks for posting! This really pushes back on the theme that the KC defense has been elite or even above-average in the second half of the season. DVOA takes a team's opponents/strength of schedule into account and also weighs recent performances more heavily so it's the perfect metric to measure their recent play. KC's Defense DVOA is still 25th which ranks as the worst defense left in the playoffs. 

Honestly, I think a lot of us (myself included) probably give the KC defense too much credit based on the performances of Chris Jones, Frank Clark, and the physicality of the Chiefs secondary in the 2020 AFC Championship Game. Jones is still a beast (although worth pointing out that 3.5 of his 9 sacks came in one game against Connor Williams and the Cowboys), but Frank Clark has been really inconsistent and is not the same player, finishing with his lowest sack and tackle totals since his rookie year in 2015. Bolton has been a productive draft pick at LB for them and the KC secondary has some nice pieces in Tyrann Mathieu and L'Jarius Sneed, but our 2021 WR corps is much healthier and more talented. I don't think their outside CBs can hang with us and as long as we can prevent that interior pressure from Jones, I'd expect Allen and the Bills to put up 30+ points. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rick &#x27;r Mortis said:

That made my pants puppet cry.

Pants puppet?  I like that. I'm sure I'll find a family gathering or some equally inappropriate situation to use that euphemism.

The video edit was brilliant at the 45 second mark where they showed Kelly lofting a TD pass to Metzelaars (# 88) in the right corner of the end zone, followed immediately by a nearly identical positioning of QB and receiver from the Pats blowout when Allen threw the first of 5 to Knox (# 88) in the right corner of the end zone. Nice touch!

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, wjag said:

Of course I watched him.  It was John Madden's game seemingly every week.  I never said he doesn't belong in the HOF. I said we don't need to open EVERY broadcast with that reminder.  

Fine if that’s what you really meant. Then why did you  quote all those statistics and his losses during his rookie year? When you compare him to, of all quarterbacks, Baker Mayfield. I think anyone reading that post would have to ride the same conclusion I did. Your post was a mixed message in that respect

Edited by Mojo44

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Sunday, 3 p.m. ET

the fox eagles v bucs game was in 4K* on directv this past week... was my first NFL game watching in 4k and it was pretty neat. hoping gb vs sf is as well.

(*not technically 4k)

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Okay I will say it here, as people seem to not be concerned, I am about the defense vs. elite QB's.  Yes the Bills annihilated the Pats, but NE moved the ball, again converted too many 3rd downs & when not were 4-4 on 4th.

This week is Mahomes & not Jones. 

Are the Chiefs undefeated?  They can be beaten. Not concerned.

Yes, they need to contain Mahomes and stuff the run. On the other hand, the Chiefs will (should) have their hands full with the Bills QB/Receivers and newly energized running game that utilizes size and strength. 

I believe it's all going to come down to playing smart, not taking needless penalties, and staying focused. The Bills are coming into this game with a full head of steam and have played nearly flawless football since halftime in Tampa.

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Okay I will say it here, as people seem to not be concerned, I am about the defense vs. elite QB's.  Yes the Bills annihilated the Pats, but NE moved the ball, again converted too many 3rd downs & when not were 4-4 on 4th.

Can't speak for everybody but I don't think that people don't expect Chiefs to score (much) more than Pats. But Pats didn't move the ball that much - they scored grand total of 10 points until garbage time TD vs our backups. Chiefs will score more, but if we hold them to 25 or so, we should/will win, thats the point.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

But also when did those happen? Was it the last drive they had for a TD?  where we had backups in all over the defense... because I remember the score being 47-10 in my drunken happiness before backups were put in on Defense.  

I know half of the 4th down conversions were on their final drive with bills backups in as well as 2 3rd down conversions.    So context is needed.

Not saying that your point of facing Mahomes vs Jones is not relevant because we know it is.  Completely better offense and QB than the Pats.  

But saying the Pats were successful on 3rd down (7-14) and 4th down (4-4) when those stats would most likely be different in the first team Defense played on the final drive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Mahomes and the Chiefs are going to make plays and score points.

IMO, the 1st key to beating Mahomes is for the Bills' D to keep the receivers in front of them and limit his YAC. Mahomes was 1st in the NFL in YAC this year with 2699 Yds (56% of his total passing yards). In their win over the Steelers, 68% of his yards were YAC with a YAC per completion of 9.2 yards.

The Bills did a very good job of this in their first meeting. People can talk all they want about the KC defense being different the last time they played; however, the KC offense was averaging 34 PPG going into tha game. They held Mahomes to his 2nd lowest YAC per completion (4.2) of the season (his worst, 4.1, was a loss to the Bengals).

The 2nd key is to win the turnover battle.

If they can do these two things, I am confident they can win.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.