Boogie Basham quietly starting to emerge...

Hebert19

6 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

He’s way better than Shaq and I think he’ll be better than Rousseau in the end too. Boogie can set the edge and he has a nice spin move too and has nice bend. He’s gotten 3.5 sacks yet he’s only dressed for 9 games and at a limited snap count at that. Rousseau has 4.0 sacks but he’s started 18 games for us. Sounds to me like Boogie has done more with less.

Rousseau tied for the NFL lead in run stops this year..............he was incredibly productive in run defense.

And I don't know if Basham is "way better" than Shaq...........that wouldn't be a big accomplishment but he's also a 24 year old rookie so a lot of teams wondered if he was sorta' maxed out..........it wouldn't be surprising if he was a little better prepared physically for the grind of a first NFL season than Rousseau but that hasn't been how the staff has seen it.

• Agree 2

Boogie has come round in the second half of the season since some early struggles. His sacks though are mainly of the clean up variety, and he does not get much explosion or bend as a pass rusher.

In terms of a pass rush comparison with Rousseau, Greg is credited 24 pressures on 531 snaps. Which means he pressures the Quarterback roughly once every 22 snaps. 

Boogie has 6 pressures on 201 snaps. Which means he pressures the Quarterback roughly once every 33 snaps. 

Just to put those numbers in context - TJ Watt who was the sack leader and tied the NFL single season sack record pressured the Quarterback about once every 14.5 snaps. Myles Garrett once every 16.5 snaps. 

However, this is not to hate on Boogie. He is a very solid edge setter, plays his lane very well and is disciplined in his rush. Things that conversely have been a major problem for AJ Epenesa who, again, allowed a QB to leak out for a big gain in a critical situation on Saturday because he gets greedy and gambles for the sack. 

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Rousseau tied for the NFL lead in run stops this year..............he was incredibly productive in run defense.

And I don't know if Basham is "way better" than Shaq...........that wouldn't be a big accomplishment but he's also a 24 year old rookie so a lot of teams wondered if he was sorta' maxed out..........it wouldn't be surprising if he was a little better prepared physically for the grind of a first NFL season than Rousseau but that hasn't been how the staff has seen it.

He has been a more productive pass rusher too. Rousseau is just a better player than Basham. There have been some reasons for optimism on Basham down the stretch. But a 24 year old rookie defensive end who sets the edge better than he rushes the passer.... is that a guy you give a second contract to aged 28? 

That, I am sure, would be your test Badol for spending a second round pick on a guy, correct? 

I am still to be persuaded he will meet that. I didn't hate him late in the 2nd but I had a 3rd round grade on him. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This was the plan.  We knew our path to the SB runs through KC. 

The answer:  have a continuous rotation of fresh pass rushers to throw at the KC OL and Mahomes.

We couldn't get to him in the AFCC last year and he was able to find Kelce/Hill at his leisure.

Conversely, KC got exposed by TB's rush in the SB and went all in on the OL 

It came together nicely for us late season - we can bring pressure from any spot on the DL on any play.

Sunday is the day we will find out who won the "arms race".

Edited by filthymcnasty08

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Boogie has come round in the second half of the season since some early struggles. His sacks though are mainly of the clean up variety, and he does not get much explosion or bend as a pass rusher.

In terms of a pass rush comparison with Rousseau, Greg is credited 24 pressures on 531 snaps. Which means he pressures the Quarterback roughly once every 22 snaps. 

Boogie has 6 pressures on 201 snaps. Which means he pressures the Quarterback roughly once every 33 snaps. 

Just to put those numbers in context - TJ Watt who was the sack leader and tied the NFL single season sack record pressured the Quarterback about once every 14.5 snaps. Myles Garrett once every 16.5 snaps. 

However, this is not to hate on Boogie. He is a very solid edge setter, plays his lane very well and is disciplined in his rush. Things that conversely have been a major problem for AJ Epenesa who, again, allowed a QB to leak out for a big gain in a critical situation on Saturday because he gets greedy and gambles for the sack. 

He has been a more productive pass rusher too. Rousseau is just a better player than Basham. There have been some reasons for optimism on Basham down the stretch. But a 24 year old rookie defensive end who sets the edge better than he rushes the passer.... is that a guy you give a second contract to aged 28? 

That, I am sure, would be your test Badol for spending a second round pick on a guy, correct? 

I am still to be persuaded he will meet that. I didn't hate him late in the 2nd but I had a 3rd round grade on him. 

Agree completely.   

I was praying they wouldn't take Basham in round 1...........in round 2 I still didn't like it because of the age factor...........but it does meet the "high dollar position" threshold for an early pick if he develops into a pass rusher.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Doc said:

Still should have taken Creed Humphrey.  Hopefully I will be forced to change my mind on that in the future.

Unlikely that your mind will be changed.    He was a rare center talent, IMO.   

But I don't think you need a center that needs to be drafted that early and later paid premium money long term though.............it's not 1970's-1980's football where you can just put a line together and keep it that way for 10 years.    Using a premium pick on a position you can otherwise fill cheaply but still effectively is not a great formula for long term success.    The Chiefs themselves let Rodney Hudson go and plugged in Mitch Morse and then let him go etc..

Edited by BADOLBILZ

19 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Close, but "Dixon" for the last name is nothing special.

BOOGIE. BASHAM.

It checks all the boxes.

I agree now he just needs to come up with a dance when he gets a sack & we can call it "The Basham Boogie" AH HUH - AH HUH - YOU KNOW IT'S GOOD !!

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.