Tua and Hurts will never get to the promised land

ProcessTruster

On 1/16/2022 at 11:32 AM, ProcessTruster said:

I like both of these guys in terms of leadership, moxie and athleticism, but they are too much of a liability in the passing game.   Miami and Philly need to draft QBs 

There are worse QB’s who have won a SB.  We lost to two awful QB’s, 2000 Ravens, 2015 Bronco’s (Manning was awful) and last year Brady pretty much did nothing.  

On 1/16/2022 at 2:39 PM, Nextmanup said:

I wouldn't put Lamar or Mayfield anywhere near the likes of Tua or Hurts.

Totally different classes of QB, with Lamar the best of them all.  

All have flaws though.

I agree, but they all have the SAME flaw, which is that they aren't elite throwers.   Lamar can survive best because he's a better runner than the others, but unless the NFL changes the rules to outlaw the forward pass, none of them will be big-time NFL quarterbacks.  There's a reason Mayfield and Jackson aren't signed, and there's a reason the Dolphins were interested in Watson.  

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree, but they all have the SAME flaw, which is that they aren't elite throwers.   Lamar can survive best because he's a better runner than the others, but unless the NFL changes the rules to outlaw the forward pass, none of them will be big-time NFL quarterbacks.  There's a reason Mayfield and Jackson aren't signed, and there's a reason the Dolphins were interested in Watson.  

Mayfield and Tua are nothing like Jackson and Hurts in style. 

My take is Tua is a poor man's Mayfield. 

Hurts is a poor man's Jackson. 

Lamar is the only one of those 4 who has an elite attribute.

On 1/16/2022 at 1:32 PM, ProcessTruster said:

I like both of these guys in terms of leadership, moxie and athleticism, but they are too much of a liability in the passing game.   Miami and Philly need to draft QBs 

Has there ever been a QB that has won a National Championship in college to go on & win a SB in the NFL ? 

Color me ignorant when it comes to that stuff but i don't follow it that close . I do know there are a bunch of them that have been busts in the NFL & the Heisman trophy winners usually are terrible in that respect maybe even worse than the National Champion QB's . 

On 1/16/2022 at 2:36 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

And add Lamar to that list.

Lamar has a one of a kind skill set, and Baltimore has built their offensive scheme around it.  It would take a complete philosophical change for Baltimore to go in a different direction and cut bait with Lamar.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree on your take with Tua. He has a pop gun arm but could survive in a west coast type offense. He is fairly accurate.

Hursts is so far below Jackson even calling him a poor man's version of Jackson is too much of a compliment and an insult to Jackson. Jackson is a far more accomplished passer.  His OC has a bad track record over multiple franchises developing a passing attack.  Jackson will never be as good as Allen and it looks like the younger guys Herbert and Burrow have passed him too. If I'm Baltimore I let him play this year on the 5th year guarantee and then franchise tag him next year. 

1 hour ago, T master said:

Has there ever been a QB that has won a National Championship in college to go on & win a SB in the NFL ? 

Color me ignorant when it comes to that stuff but i don't follow it that close . I do know there are a bunch of them that have been busts in the NFL & the Heisman trophy winners usually are terrible in that respect maybe even worse than the National Champion QB's . 

First guy that came to mind was Namath.

I had to look up the others. 

I didn't realize Stabler won a National championship. 

Joe Montana 1977 National Champion

Troy Aikman was a partial starter for Oklahoma when they won the national championship 

A few starting QBs got rings as backups in the NFL like Kosar.

And Brady was a backup on Michigan when they shared a national title.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly.  

Jackson is the only guy who I expect will have a long career as a starter, at least so long as his legs hold out.  Their teams will move on from the others within a year or two.  As someone said, it will be interesting to see what the Eagles do with all their picks.  Mayfield may be with another team next season.  Tua won't last in Miami much longer. 

It's just too obvious when you look around the league that your future is limited if you don't have the arm.  You have to be accurate, and you have to have at least decent velocity.  These four are challenged in one or both categories.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.