Tua and Hurts will never get to the promised land

ProcessTruster

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I wouldn't put Lamar or Mayfield anywhere near the likes of Tua or Hurts.

Totally different classes of QB, with Lamar the best of them all.  

All have flaws though.

True those two are way better than the other two but that's not what the thread is about.  I also don't believe Mayfield or Jackson will ever bring home a trophy.  I'll add Mac Jones and Ryan Tannehil to the list too.  ( my personal list of course.  I don't speak for others.)

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I like both of these guys in terms of leadership, moxie and athleticism, but they are too much of a liability in the passing game.   Miami and Philly need to draft QBs 

Seems like kind of a red flag for a QB…

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Hurts looks today just like he looked to me in college - a one-read QB who will never be a natural passer.  He stinks.

Tua it’s too early.  I don’t see any real difference between Tua and Mac Jones - both are smart natural throwers who can run an offense but will never be able to stress a defense by throwing to the far areas of the field.  Their ceiling is Alex Smith/Ryan Tannehill - but that doesn’t mean they can’t win super bowls if they’re paired with the right OC and other things break their way.  

I'm watching Jimmy G., who came damn close to winning a SB. Tua and maybe Mac strike me as being on that level.

NOTE: we would've killed to have had a young QB "on that level" at any time between 2005 and 2017.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Running QBs are overrated. If you can’t throw the football you won’t win in the playoffs. It’s that simple. There’s a reason these guys faceplant in the playoffs. Mike Vick was the first of them and it’s been happening ever since. You need to pair mobility with the passing. Not the other way around.

Randall Cunningham?  He was way before Vick.

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I like both of these guys in terms of leadership, moxie and athleticism, but they are too much of a liability in the passing game.   Miami and Philly need to draft QBs 

Too early to know.

The passing game is what usually takes time to develop. My guess is you're right about Hurts, but that Tua might have a chance. But it's just too early to know.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JY422 said:

Add Mac Jones to this list and you have a triumvirate of excellent Alabama QBs who are average-at-best NFL QBs.

Mac I think is already at 90% of his ceiling. Not enough work ethic from Tua w limited talent. Don’t think Hurts is enough of a pro passer. Baker is average. None of them will win a SB. They have too many good young QB’s to deal with. All have far superior talent. 

Edited by QLBillsFan

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Everything you said is true about Hurts, outstanding leader and football player. Sadly he is not a top 32 QB, but not far off.

Tua I believe is a slacker that wants things to come easy. He may actually have the talent but he doesn't want it bad enough. I wouldn't want him as my leader.

2 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I’m intrigued what Philly does with all those 1st round picks.   Build around Hurts, draft a QB or try and work a trade.   Tough decision. 

The QB class is not great and do you want to take a chance on Wilson or Watson assuming they would entertain going there. 

If I were Philly,  they should trade those picks for next year #1s and a couple of #2s this year and use the 2's to draft....I think there is slim pickings as far as QBs goes in this draft.

Josh Allen's first two seasons ...

2018   11 games  52.8% completions   2074 yards   10 TDs  12 INTs   67.9 QB rating    49.8  QBR     89 rushes   631 yards   8 TDs    8 fumbles

2019   16 games 58.8% completions   3089 yards  20 TDs     9 INTs  85.3 QB rating    49.4 QBR    109 rushes   510 yards  9 TDs   14 fumbles

There were a lot of critics who didn't think that Allen would become a good NFL QB much less one of the best in the NFL.

It's a little early to write off either Tua or Hurts since neither has been a dumpster fire in their second seasons, just not Joe Burrow good.

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I wouldn't put Lamar or Mayfield anywhere near the likes of Tua or Hurts.

Totally different classes of QB, with Lamar the best of them all.  

All have flaws though.

I think Baker COULD be better. He was injured this year. 
mom not sure why so many like Lamar. I think he’s a great runner but mediocre passer. He also can’t really process the game. 

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Probably not, but many that decided Josh Allens future based on his first 2 seasons were criminally incorrect 

Who were these many? Outsiders that didn’t watch full games but only highlights? Anyone with a brain stem could see that JA had something special. Not a guarantee that he’d progress as he has, but there was definitely a gamer in him. 

11 hours ago, DJB said:

Tua Tagointerception

Tua Turndaballova’

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Hurts looks today just like he looked to me in college - a one-read QB who will never be a natural passer.  He stinks.

Tua it’s too early.  I don’t see any real difference between Tua and Mac Jones - both are smart natural throwers who can run an offense but will never be able to stress a defense by throwing to the far areas of the field.  Their ceiling is Alex Smith/Ryan Tannehill - but that doesn’t mean they can’t win super bowls if they’re paired with the right OC and other things break their way.  

The Eagles basically have a Tyrod Taylor situation. Hurts can get you to 8-10 wins (max) and the occasional wild card appearance because he’s a good runner and leader. But his passing game is far too limited to ever get you beyond that. But because he can get you to 9-8 and coaches are terrified of running a young new qb out there and going 5-12 (with said coach possibly getting fired), I expect the Eagles to continue to ride him for a couple of seasons more.

18 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Also: 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.