Singletary is a Stud

IronyAbounds

When everyone was complaining about the lack of a running game I still believed the OL was the biggest problem, not Singletary. After all, you can't miss holes that aren't there. The guy has been rugged the last few games and gotten extra yards on just about every run. That in turn has helped Allen quite a bit. He could be the missing piece in a Super Bowl run.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

When everyone was complaining about the lack of a running game I still believed the OL was the biggest problem, not Singletary. After all, you can't miss holes that aren't there. The guy has been rugged the last few games and gotten extra yards on just about every run. That in turn has helped Allen quite a bit. He could be the missing piece in a Super Bowl run.

I was having a conversation with another Bills fan earlier this year who was trashing Singletary. I remember his rookie year when he led the NFL in yards per carry.  My argument was that his ability didn’t just disappear, so something else was wrong.  When you only got to carry the ball 9 times a game at the most, you can’t be expected to be effective.  I’m glad to see us FINALLY use him properly. 

• Like (+1) 5

I adopted the Motorin' moniker during his rookie season. I thought he showed a lot of promise and didn't understand why he wasn't getting 90% of the carries by the end of 2019. 

It's taken nearly 3 years, but the Bills have finally realized they need to stick with Motor as their primary back. 

He's a baller. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The fumbles and the drafting of Moss - who had a strong enough summer of 2020 to get significant playing time (I remember Joe B saying don't be surprised if Moss becomes the guy) clearly impacted him.

But maybe all off season motivated him.  And when Moss wasn't doing anything he got his opportunity and said I'm not letting this go.  I know by the Saints game I was done with all them.  Something changed.  

This looks like the Motor I expected in 2020.  I can't explain the shift toward Moss and what they were thinking but this dude is running out of his mind.  

I'd argue after Allen he's been the most important part of the O the last month that's how startling this has been.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I was harsh on Singletary for much of this year. I knew the run blocking was a major problem, but I thought Devin was too slow to be effective. Boy was I wrong, major props to him.

The blocking scheme now complements his style perfectly. I love how he always squeezes out another yard or three when he's initially stopped.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Wyobills89 said:

Devin has been running with more fire lately. But damn has this OLine done a 180 last few weeks. That has been the single best improvement of the offense.

Dabol has finally realized the benefit of pulling guards and even Morse. Motor's bounce out TD was beautiful. No more RB by committee.  Give Devin 80-90% of the touches. He'll get ya 80-90 yards per game and keep pressure off Josh. No more zone blocking. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Dabol has finally realized the benefit of pulling guards and even Morse. Motor's bounce out TD was beautiful. No more RB by committee.  Give Devin 80-90% of the touches. He'll get ya 80-90 yards per game and keep pressure off Josh. No more zone blocking. 

It's funny daboll HAS been pulling Morse for years 

He's been pulling on Josh's sweeps and toss sweeps for years 

What daboll hasn't liked doing is pulling out guards on powers consistently.. the last 5-6 weeks we see a power game alot more and it's paying dividends 

But Morse's pulling ability has been one of my favorite things about his game since he's been here

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

30 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I adopted the Motorin' moniker during his rookie season. I thought he showed a lot of promise and didn't understand why he wasn't getting 90% of the carries by the end of 2019. 

It's taken nearly 3 years, but the Bills have finally realized they need to stick with Motor as their primary back. 

He's a baller. 

You know those Cheats don't wanna play no more with you...

• Like (+1) 1

It was disappointing hearing a lot of folks hating on Singletary with the broken OL they had for most of the season even though the guy was close to averaging close to 5.0 yards per carry. Then the OL gets fixed during end the of the season, he becomes feature back, confidence goes up, td's go up and helps relieve some pressure off Allen

Edited by motorj
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, kjack151 said:

I was having a conversation with another Bills fan earlier this year who was trashing Singletary. I remember his rookie year when he led the NFL in yards per carry.  My argument was that his ability didn’t just disappear, so something else was wrong.  When you only got to carry the ball 9 times a game at the most, you can’t be expected to be effective.  I’m glad to see us FINALLY use him properly. 

It's amazing how much better Singletary got when Ford and Feliciano were watching from the bench.

I think it's the move to Bates. He's allowed Morse to play his game better and now there are actual holes for Devin.

Still don't know why we waited until injuries forced the move. Maybe so we would peak at the end of the season.

Edited by Lothar

I think it’s a combination of a couple of things you can’t ignore the fact that whenever baits went into the lineup The ol 

Stabilized bates is not a pro ball type lineman He just just his job and he steady which has been missing for weeks so then you have motor and now all of a sudden he’s not getting hit in the backfield when he takes the hand off and you see the results of him being able to show what he can do I would still continue to address the running back position and the line position in the off-season

He’s been really incredible the past few weeks and especially last night. I still hope they get another quality back soon to push him and share carries, but he’s proven he can be a really effective lead back. His vision and awareness last night was incredible. Exact right cut at the exact time, following blockers, letting the play develop... really something.

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, IronyAbounds said:

There is zero doubt in my mind that Singletary is playing much better now. Additionally, we made changes to our run game to help the run game. All three phases stepped-up to give us that awesome run game you are seeing now. Devin himself,coaching and much better blocking.

After losing to the jags, I think most fans correctly doubted our chances this year, if you didn't; congratulations, but I'm enjoying this win as much as anyone.

As for now and the rest of the season, after that game, you'd be crazy not to Billieve we stand as good of a chance as anyone.

I Billieve!

• Like (+1) 1

Singletary deserved criticism last year. There were not many holes running behind our line and instead of hitting them he was indecisive and trying to bounce - and the reason was he knew full well he lacked explosion into the hole. 

We don't need anyone else to tell us this. Devin told us himself. That is why he went away after last season and took his preparation and conditioning more seriously. He hired a trainer. He focussed on finding more explosion in his get off. He got his body into better shape. I said in the GDT he deserves a lot of credit.

He has been better all year this year. The only issue he had early was fumbling but once he cleaned that up and got a few more opportunities his production has followed (helped by the oline finding something with its run blocking). But there was something wrong with Devin last year. He accepted it. He hadn't worked hard enough and being the best he could be. He looks leaner, he is definitely more explosive and the results are coming. 

Kudos to him for accepting that last year was not good enough.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, IronyAbounds said:

Not that long ago we thought Brenda was “the man.”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.