Offensive Line

Buffalo Barbarian

If I had to give a game ball to a position group it would be the O line.  The run game likely (can't confirm) brought the NE D up a bit to help the passing game while keeping the Bills D rested.  Maybe someone on the board saw if we got big pass plays against their 3-4 base or if we were running against their dime??  

I am not ready to buy the "Pass first - pass always" narrative of Schopp and Jeremy White - two folks who almost get apoplectic when we try to run.  In the 90's the Dolphins passed their way into the record books and out of the championship game in part because they lacked balance - when the pass was shut down, so were they.

• Agree 1

On 1/16/2022 at 11:30 AM, klos63 said:

and draft BPA

Well it is always a blend of BPA and need.   We do NOT have a gaping hole anywhere, but several positions have a bigger fall-off as we go to the 1st replacement player. 

So we are balancing what position needs some buttressing or has a player who might retire VERSUS the value of the draft pick and what might be available on the FA market.  I'm definately thinking the weight of the ceiling/need balance is a little towards need in the first 3 rounds.  There are a number of 2022 players who will be drafted in the top 20, that I would take in a heartbeat-  but they will not be there at the 30-32 pick.

QB we are fine and there are a number of veteran stop-gap QB's available.

WR  there is plenty of depth and savy veterans.

RB we are okay with Motor and can probably find a retread as an adequate backup. The only way for a "draft pick" is if some complicated thing works out with N.Harris and the QB-less Steelers.

CB SS/FS we are okay and have our stud CB coming back next year. We can take a flyer on a 4th or 4th+ development guy.

DE we are okay with young guys and remaining veterans.

DT Star should be let go and we have good starters with Oliver and Philips.   Zimmer and Ankou are depth but a veteran FA or 4/4+ draft pick might be taken

#1   Offensive center.    We have backups but they are starters at other positions.  Morse is a good player but could disappear with another concussion and might decide to retire.  We should draft a center, if Linderbaum falls to us in the first round.  We should shoot for high ceiling rather than high floor.  Another way to skin this cat is to take  a superior OT in the first round (not JAG starter) and shuffle people around if Morse retires/(is missing from injury), or let the new guy work his way into the o-line.  We could make this a real strength for sure rather than a questionable part of the team.

#2  Linebacker.    OK, I like Edmunds in the middle although many Bills posters complain that he doesn't make splash plays and is not Dick Butkus.  He is big and fast and has great length and hinders other teams with the passing game over the middle (like a good safety) and is big enough to hold up against the running game.  Having said all that, we keep him at LB along with Milano.<<both these guys are speedy and good pass defenders.  We do NOT have a good replacement in house>>>  From there the next guy is Klein, who is a downhill player but not as good against the pass and in space..  We lose a lot of things if he has to start in a 2 linebacker formation.  So we really do NEED another quality linebacker with good coverage skills and speed to handle superior TE & RB.   There are also several guys in the draft.  Demone Clark,   D.Llyod and N. Dean would be my top 3 picks here.  There is some posability to trade back from our high 1st round pick (30-32) and get a mid 2nd round pick and a mid third round pick and still ***** one of those 3.

On 1/16/2022 at 12:05 PM, Doc said:

Gotcha.  Yeah, I don't think RB is a priority after spending 2-3rd rounders and with the resurgence of the OL.  Unless a stud falls.  I think CB will have to be the first pick.

We have the top rated defense right now AND have Tre'Davious White coming back from injury next year. We should be fine there. A high ceiling guy in the 4th to 9th round is the thing to do.  We are thin at pass defending LB and offensive line. That is where the first two picks should go.

On 1/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, ganesh said:

I think the Bills still lack speed and size.  They need a back like Henry who can pound the DL to submission especially in the playoffs.   I hope they invest a mid round pick as Moss appears to be not the answer.

Our mid-round picks have not provided us a game changer.  the 2nd round is the place to get a

<<Dobbins   round 2  pick 55 >>>    

<<<Taylor  round 2  pick 41....>>>.

<<<<Henry (2016 2nd round pick 45>>>>  type.

Or cycle through FA and PS guys until you find a keeper.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Well it is always a blend of BPA and need.   We do NOT have a gaping hole anywhere, but several positions have a bigger fall-off as we go to the 1st replacement player. 

So we are balancing what position needs some buttressing or has a player who might retire VERSUS the value of the draft pick and what might be available on the FA market.  I'm definately thinking the weight of the ceiling/need balance is a little towards need in the first 3 rounds.  There are a number of 2022 players who will be drafted in the top 20, that I would take in a heartbeat-  but they will not be there at the 30-32 pick.

QB we are fine and there are a number of veteran stop-gap QB's available.

WR  there is plenty of depth and savy veterans.

RB we are okay with Motor and can probably find a retread as an adequate backup. The only way for a "draft pick" is if some complicated thing works out with N.Harris and the QB-less Steelers.

CB SS/FS we are okay and have our stud CB coming back next year. We can take a flyer on a 4th or 4th+ development guy.

DE we are okay with young guys and remaining veterans.

DT Star should be let go and we have good starters with Oliver and Philips.   Zimmer and Ankou are depth but a veteran FA or 4/4+ draft pick might be taken

#1   Offensive center.    We have backups but they are starters at other positions.  Morse is a good player but could disappear with another concussion and might decide to retire.  We should draft a center, if Linderbaum falls to us in the first round.  We should shoot for high ceiling rather than high floor.  Another way to skin this cat is to take  a superior OT in the first round (not JAG starter) and shuffle people around if Morse retires/(is missing from injury), or let the new guy work his way into the o-line.  We could make this a real strength for sure rather than a questionable part of the team.

#2  Linebacker.    OK, I like Edmunds in the middle although many Bills posters complain that he doesn't make splash plays and is not Dick Butkus.  He is big and fast and has great length and hinders other teams with the passing game over the middle (like a good safety) and is big enough to hold up against the running game.  Having said all that, we keep him at LB along with Milano.<<both these guys are speedy and good pass defenders.  We do NOT have a good replacement in house>>>  From there the next guy is Klein, who is a downhill player but not as good against the pass and in space..  We lose a lot of things if he has to start in a 2 linebacker formation.  So we really do NEED another quality linebacker with good coverage skills and speed to handle superior TE & RB.   There are also several guys in the draft.  Demone Clark,   D.Llyod and N. Dean would be my top 3 picks here.  There is some posability to trade back from our high 1st round pick (30-32) and get a mid 2nd round pick and a mid third round pick and still ***** one of those 3.

We have the top rated defense right now AND have Tre'Davious White coming back from injury next year. We should be fine there. A high ceiling guy in the 4th to 9th round is the thing to do.  We are thin at pass defending LB and offensive line. That is where the first two picks should go.

Need to draft CB high. Always a need and no guarantee that Tre comes back 100% or when he comes back.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

The average, full grown silverback gorilla stands about 5’5”, but weighs between 300-485 pounds, has an 8 foot reach, and is 4-9x stronger than the average human.
How do you think something so small, yet so powerful, would fare at offensive guard or defensive tackle in the NFL? 🦍

10 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

The average, full grown silverback gorilla stands about 5’5”, but weighs between 300-485 pounds, has an 8 foot reach, and is 4-9x stronger than the average human.
How do you think something so small, yet so powerful, would fare at offensive guard or defensive tackle in the NFL? 🦍

To properly prepare to answer that question, I must first review the science:

• Haha (+1) 1

I like this team going BPA (within reason) RD’s 1-4, and then hitting OL & DB every year RD’s 5-7.  

However, if we’re going to have a DB and OL poached off the Practice Squad, we may have to rethink that strategy.  

Can’t be wasting picks with the big contracts we have on the books now. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Not very well, maybe the biggest bully on the field but without football smarts not gonna get the job done.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

They lack discipline and prefer to freelance 

3 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

The right side of our OL is a huge liability that other teams will exploit if we don't get serious about upgrading there. I have little confidence in either Brown or Bates.

I wouldn’t say it’s a huge liability.. it’s a huge unknown.  

Both are young players that we don’t know what they are yet.  

Brown because he didn’t play for a year and then was thrust into a starter role as a rookie.   Bates, because we’ve been enamored with him being the ultimate utility backup.  

I would have zero issue with us drafting OL high, but I don’t know that it’s fair to already label those two as a liability. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Can’t be wasting picks with the big contracts we have on the books now. 

I believe the Bills have 8 draft picks and I could see at least 6 drafted players make the 53 roster.  They have 4 roster openings (CB, WR, LB, and OT) where a player drafted at the position would have a clear path.  A fifth roster spot could be at OG because Boettger is going to start the season on PUP imo.  TE and LB are possible draft upgrades.  So there's probably another roster spot.  Also White could start season on PUP as well.  I agree with you on wasting draft picks.  Beane probably hated losing those drafted guys.

24 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

The right side of our OL is a huge liability that other teams will exploit if we don't get serious about upgrading there. I have little confidence in either Brown or Bates.

So you're OUT on on Brown, the guy we drafted in the 3rd round last year... who started 10 games, and is known to be a developmental prospect....

And you're also OUT on Ryan Bates, who we've seen play a total of 4 games and tangibly made the entire O-line better when he was in, and several other teams tried to sign...

Dude. You need to be a little more optimistic in life.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.