Do you want Daboll to leave for a HC job?

YoloinOhio

What do you hope happens with Daboll?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Daboll to leave for a HC job?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends on the outcome of the playoff game(s)/ season

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

The hate for BD is funny. Check out our OC’s production the previous 20 years. Yes he needs more commitment to the run (as we have seen recently ). Yes he has JA, but he’s been really good on the whole. Wish him well if he gets a HC gig but his work has been good. JA will certainly miss him. 

Check out our QB's over that stretch. If you have a bad QB, you're going to be a bad OC I don't care who you are.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is your mind made up on what you want to have happen with Daboll or will it all depend on tonight (and potentially the rest of the playoff run)? He’s been here 4 years and the entirety of Allen’s career thus far so it seems like his body of work would provide the sample size as a fan to determine whether you want him to stay or go. But does it more depend on what happens now?

he’s not a shoe in for one of these jobs, especially if they lose tonight/the offense looks bad, and because of Flores getting thrown into the mix as another candidate. Even Jim Caldwell is now being interviewed for the Bears. 

Daboll gets blamed for everything that’s gone wrong and little for what has been effective.  

I don’t want him to go but hope that he’s given a chance to be a HC.  Same with Frazier.

I voted that I would like Daboll to stay. Feel the same about Frazier. There is a lot of power in continuity...and really, how much can we complain about the results over the last few years. They are both excellent coaches. Their players love them and fight hard for them. But, if they want HC gigs, I hope they get those opportunities.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be too worried if they left either at this point. This is now a mature team, who have soaked up Daboll's and Frazier's lessons for the last 4-5 years. I think they'd be ok learning and growing with a new staff (although there might be a break-in period). But, Sean knows what he wants on defense and will be able to find the right person to implement that. And there are plenty of good OCs out there that could work with the talent on this team. Sean just has to be careful to hire a guy that not only is good, but that can develop a good chemistry with the team---and will let Josh be Josh.

I am curious though why so many people think Ken Dorsey will either be offered the Bills OC job if Daboll leaves or be poached by Frazier to be his OC if he leaves? Do we really know enough about him (other than his playing career) to assume he would be offered those jobs or be ready to take that next step? Not knocking the guy, just wondering why so many posters seem so sure that he is ready/will be good?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Daboll gets blamed for everything that’s gone wrong and little for what has been effective.  

I don’t want him to go but hope that he’s given a chance to be a HC.  Same with Frazier.

I don't know about that, maybe by some I'm sure, but I definitely wouldn't say he's blamed for everything either way good or bad. It's common sense other things factor in, like execution etc....

My frustration with him at times was some of the play calling and going away from the run too much. Been much better recently and of course I'd credit him for that.

• Like (+1) 1

The grass is always greener on the other side. I promise you that getting a new coordinator is not necessarily going to be a good thing.

Those who want to see Daboll gone don't seem to understand the risk of losing a quality coordinator.

That being said, yes, I do want Daboll and Frazier to get head coaching opportunities because they deserve it and it reflects positively on the franchise. And if we have two coordinators go on to be head coaches, imagine where all the best coaching talent will want to come? Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Breakout Squad said:

For the first time since the SB years we have a top tier offense and an OC that understands it’s a passing game now. Coordinators always get criticized but I don’t understand the hate Daboll gets here. The grass is not always greener. 

No, to that cliche that this is a 'passing league now', and that the running game is not that vital, and that running backs are basically a dime a dozen. It is just the very illogical very bad common 'wisdom' that has permeated the media the last few years.  People hear the nonsense, repeat it, and so it spreads. But that does not make it so.

Of course that cliche we have all heard so often over the last few years does not make sense.  We all saw that this year with the Bills--and in last year's AFC Championship game.  Without a very solid running game a team is very unlikely to win it all.

A great running game will likely power this year's Super Bowl winner as it did last year. The Bucs ran for almost 150 yards in last year's Super Bowl.  They had a running game that prevented the Chiefs from teeing off on Brady the way they did to Allen. I was screaming from the rooftops last year to develop the running game, and all of this year too. Too many good teams in the NFL to not have a multi-dimensional team.

So tonight, go Singletary, throw in some Moss, a little Bradea if he is active, and let the Bills wide receivers run tonight too.  Run the ball, keep getting better at it, and then maybe, even coming to it soo late in the year, the Bills can still get good enough at doing so that they win the AFC.

Just now, Mister Defense said:

No, to that cliche that this is a 'passing league now', and that the running game is not that vital, and that running backs are basically a dime a dozen. It is just the very illogical very bad common 'wisdom' that has permeated the media the last few years.  People hear the nonsense, repeat it, and so it spreads. But that does not make it so.

Of course that cliche we have all heard so often over the last few years does not make sense.  We all saw that this year with the Bills--and in last year's AFC Championship game.  Without a very solid running game a team is very unlikely to win it all.

A great running game will likely power this year's Super Bowl winner as it did last year. The Bucs ran for almost 150 yards in last year's Super Bowl.  They had a running game that prevented the Chiefs from teeing off on Brady the way they did to Allen. I was screaming from the rooftops last year to develop the running game, and all of this year too. Too many good teams in the NFL to not have a multi-dimensional team.

So tonight, go Singletary, throw in some Moss, a little Bradea if he is active, and let the Bills wide receivers run tonight too.  Run the ball, keep getting better at it, and then maybe, even coming to it soo late in the year, the Bills can still get good enough at doing so that they win the AFC.

Never said that running isn’t important. But the majority of successful teams have an effective passing game. All you have to do is look at passing stats from now compared to 2000. 

6 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Coach Daboll has put together one of the leagues top passing attacks the last 3 years running.

If he stays for 2022 I'm thinking perhaps we should hire a run game coordinator. Someone that knows successful running inside and out.  Maybe one of Greg Romans minions or maybe Coach Lynn if he would come back. That way when a run play is called there will be a higher chance of success.  Maybe we would even call them more.  Close out games with it. Not be one dimensional.Meanwhile the monster passing attack is still in place.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Below average OC gifted the opportunity to work with one of the greatest talents at QB the league has ever seen

Won’t miss Daboll at all

Why don't we just not hire an OC at all and let Josh do his thing?

• Like (+1) 1

I think it is fair to suggest that Daboll, at times, has some pretty weird and objectively BAD play calling.  Maybe they all do, I don't know.

He also seems sometimes slow to change up what we're doing, mid-game, to try and mitigate some sort of shortcoming.

I'm not really a huge fan or detractor, those are just some observations.

21 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

"might" change?  ha, this board will explode if bills lose

I don't want to dwell on that now, but I agree.  If we lose tonight, folks will be in meltdown mode and I guarantee people will be calling for the head of McDermott.

If we win, that will be happening NEXT WEEK, unless we can find a way past KC.

😳

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think it is fair to suggest that Daboll, at times, has some pretty weird and objectively BAD play calling.  Maybe they all do, I don't know.

He also seems sometimes slow to change up what we're doing, mid-game, to try and mitigate some sort of shortcoming.

I'm not really a huge fan or detractor, those are just some observations.

I don't want to dwell on that now, but I agree.  If we lose tonight, folks will be in meltdown mode and I guarantee people will be calling for the head of McDermott.

If we win, that will be happening NEXT WEEK, unless we can find a way past KC.

😳

Then it will happen the week after that if we win. Then 2 weeks after that because we either lost or didn't win by enough.

Daboll is really good calling plays between the 20s but once in the red zone he goes into a shell. Seems to me he hates calling pass plays into the end zone. It also seems that a high % of our red zone TDs is Josh running for his life before finding a receiver that has broken off his route to help his QB. I've also gotten tired of the 1 yard run on 1st or 2nd down in the red zone.

I'm on the Daboll bubble and really don't care if he stays or if he goes, that might change tonight, next week or the week after.

GO BILLS

To the post heading (question): No. I, like many if you, can get frustrated with him at times, but (1) don't under estimate the value to Josh Allen, and all the offense, of the consistency of having the same OC and system for four years running now. I cannot blame him, or Frazier, for pursuing the opportunties, but if I had any choice, I would do all we could do to keep them. Another consideration, (2) the entire coaching staff seems to be on the same page and works well together, again, the power of a common vision, goals, and shared values in how to get there, is not to be taken for granted. And, (3) It appears there is great trust in these goys by the players. Again, something that takes time to build and has a big influence on their performance as a unit.

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

9 of the top 10 passing teams are in the playoffs.

7 of the top 10 running teams are in the playoffs.   

That's not much different.  But every one of those top 'running teams' earned more yards through the air than they did on the ground.  

In fact, 70% of yards gained by offenses this year were through the air.  

I do agree it's better to be multidimensional.   But, for us old timers who remember some older cliches - "three yards and a cloud of dust" and "you need to pass to open up the run" - it very much is a passing league now.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It will. I’ll probably avoid for a few to not get torched by the flames 

Yeah pains me to think about it. Not sure about you, but for me it would be a much harder pill to swallow than any other due to it's the Pats. That would just be a rotten cherry on top of a sh-t sundae....

42 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Coach Daboll has put together one of the leagues top passing attacks the last 3 years running.

If he stays for 2022 I'm thinking perhaps we should hire a run game coordinator. Someone that knows successful running inside and out.  Maybe one of Greg Romans minions or maybe Coach Lynn if he would come back. That way when a run play is called there will be a higher chance of success.  Maybe we would even call them more.  Close out games with it. Not be one dimensional.Meanwhile the monster passing attack is still in place.

Why don't we just not hire an OC at all and let Josh do his thing?

Yes, a very good point, idea. 

And  this coach and GM see this weakness and are looking for ways to really change it. That is how they operate--understand the team's weaknesses and then fix them. 

Imagine the success Josh Allen's teams will have in Buffalo whey they have a running game that matches their passing game and an offense that is always evolving.  To make these things happen, they need that different perspective you suggest.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.